Meanwhile at Apogee

UNTeagle88

And I guess someone is going to post that there are tropical weather conditions in...............

New York City?!?!

As the sign near old Buff Stadium (long ago imploded home of the late, great Houston Buffs minor league baseball team) then located off the Gulf Coast Freeway used to say & what I'd bet will be the situation for the Denton Ryan/Cedar Hill football game tomorrow....NO GAME TODAY.

That is not official...I repeat....that is not official......yet.

Carry on...

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Meanwhile @ Apogee... imagine if there was a game tomorrow.

b63a0feb-9502-4766-869f-842ca2c40f33.jpg

478c6c55-b3c9-4f92-b1d8-6ef0bc92c155.jpg

8807b644-0970-454f-bd73-4bf67a0f4d5b.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

If I can figure out a way to get some red and green in these pics I may now have my official 2013 Christmas cards to mail out very, very soon. :angel: (I jest)

GMG!

PS: Totally unrelated..................but I've been watching the National Geographic Channel on the Kennedy assassination (I'm a boomer' & hooked on that story--sue me).............. but have seen a video I've never seen showing long time former Mean Green Radio Network play by play man Bill Mercer giving a televised report on that day's events in Dallas and when he worked for KRLD-TV. I had seen other videos of Bill when he was in the hallway of the Dallas Police Station when they had just brought Oswald in from the Texas Theatre.

So glad our UNT athletics leaders and (apparently) the present MGRN guys led the way to get that Apogee Stadium media room named after Bill Mercer. Best I recollect, he is now in his 90's.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

In the late 1960's we were in Pampa. For our final game of the year we were scheduled to play Lubbock High School. I think there were three wins between the two teams. It came one of these things that dumped snow all over the area. One of our dads owned a construction company. He had some small road graders, some front end loaders, and some dump trucks. He got the graders to scrape the snow off the field (mostly, anyway) and got the front end loaders to dump it over the fence into the trucks. They hauled off the snow and we played the game. There were about 100 people there that night with about 90 in the press box. Conditions were miserable but the game was played. Pampa won the game but I am not sure that it should have ever been played. That picture of Apogee Stadium reminded me of how our stadium looked before the snow removal started.

• Upvote 2

In the late 1960's we were in Pampa. For our final game of the year we were scheduled to play Lubbock High School. I think there were three wins between the two teams. It came one of these things that dumped snow all over the area. One of our dads owned a construction company. He had some small road graders, some front end loaders, and some dump trucks. He got the graders to scrape the snow off the field (mostly, anyway) and got the front end loaders to dump it over the fence into the trucks. They hauled off the snow and we played the game. There were about 100 people there that night with about 90 in the press box. Conditions were miserable but the game was played. Pampa won the game but I am not sure that it should have ever been played. That picture of Apogee Stadium reminded me of how our stadium looked before the snow removal started.

Great stuff, Huff!

I can remember one of my games when it was a Gulf Coast monsoon rain that created a quagmire on our home field which probably served as an equalizer and allowed our team to tie a heavily favored Van Vleck Leopards.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Would've been miserable but that doesn't mean it would not have been a blast.

I agree, Mean Green Matt. Most fun since 1977. Although we didn't quit pull off a victory that snowy day, I will never forget that game. I love snow, sleet . ice etc. The neat thing about real football in Texas is that it is played outside and transcends three seasons. Think of the Idaho game and look at Apogee today, as well as all those autumn days in between.

Saw Garland play Amarillo

Tascosa in

Amarillo in 1964. More money changed hands at half time than at a para mutual track but Garland won 10-7. HS play " pussy ball " now. Hope both Denton schools lose none of their HS heroes even consider UNT. Collins was built by Denton ISD taxpayers just to try to keep Apogee from being built. To hell with Denton ISD they don't deserve to play in Apogee unless we charge them triple what we would anyone else. Pray for Heart of Dallas Bowl where UNT will be appreciated unlike it is in " little d".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

To hell with Denton ISD they don't deserve to play in Apogee unless we charge them triple what we would anyone else.

Both sides of this historical Denton vs. UNT pissing match need to cut out the who-deserves-what garbage. Put the past behind them and work together to make this city and university better. Getting DISD involved in Apogee can only help every side involved.

Having said that, I know it is easier said than done.

• Upvote 3

Both sides of this historical Denton vs. UNT pissing match need to cut out the who-deserves-what garbage. Put the past behind them and work together to make this city and university better. Getting DISD involved in Apogee can only help every side involved.

Having said that, I know it is easier said than done.

Easier said than done is a classic understatement Denton has had 100 years to support UNT and has failed miserably!!

• Downvote 1