It's been 376 Days Since Alabama Huntsville

CMJ

I feel that if RV doesn't pull the plug early enough, our new President will have to pull the plug on RV as well. And no, I don't think he is a "bad" AD, and love his passion, but when it comes to very important hiring decisions, he hasn't shown top competence in addressing those in a timely manner when they evidently go wrong. Hope he realizes that now and addresses this situation very soon.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

Oh trust me, if the football team wasn't doing so well I'd be calling for RV's head too. In the big 3 sports, he's made some very poor hiring decisions (Stephens, Dodge, and Benford) with only JJ in the positive side before this season. Aston seemed good, but she left so soon I give than an incomplete (same with our current coach). I am a big RV fan, but you can only hire so many disasters in the big three before you are on the hook for it.

In many ways Coach Mac has gotten RV off of the hook. Even if we lost every other basketball game this season, the football success has shielded any ill will toward RV from the vast majority of us.

Edited by CMJ

Serious question.

Who is worse: Dodge or Benford?

Our basketball team is becoming comical. Thank god we have winning football.

It's tough to compare the two sports. We had some terribly ugly blowouts in the Dodge years. But at least they were against teams that were supposed to beat us. And I wouldn't say that Dodge drove the program into the ground, although in some respects it obviously went down quite a bit. But Dodge's recruiting was probably better than Dickey's late recruiting, and he made some off-the field improvements, such as taking care of the APR problem. And Dodge didn't inherit nearly the roster that Benford did. But if Benford stays 3 1/2 years and continues on his present trajectory, our program could be just short of shattered.

Oh trust me, if the football team wasn't doing so well I'd be calling for RV's head too. In the big 3 sports, he's made some very poor hiring decisions (Stephens, Dodge, and Benford) with only JJ in the positive side before this season. Aston seemed good, but she left so soon I give than an incomplete (same with our current coach). I am a big RV fan, but you can only hire so many disasters in the big three before you are on the hook for it.

In many ways Coach Mac has gotten RV off of the hook. Even if we lost every other basketball game this season, the football success has shielded any ill will toward RV from the vast majority of us.

You are underestimating the huge role President Rawlins had in hiring coach Mac. I wouldn't be giving RV all the credit for that hire.

• Upvote 1

Has to be Benford. Dodge didn't inherit a team with near the talent that Benford had last season. One of the biggest issues with Benford has to be his recruiting. We've had what, 1 HS recruit actually make it to campus. He's setting this team up for years of failure.

We had two in Overlander and Hardwick. Technically Hardwick was the only Benford signee since Overlander signed under Jones, but both left after 1 year. Last year we signed 3, 0 are playing and 1 is on the roster but ineligible this year (Greg Wesley). We have 0 Benford high school signees playing on the current team after two recruiting classes.

Why do we not just get a weekly state of the union address from the athletic director and coaches? I wish they would talk to us in a real honest way... And I mean all of them. Mac, Benford, AD etc... Just field some questions and address concerns on a weekly basis. Maybe every two weeks. It cannot be that hard.

Why do we not just get a weekly state of the union address from the athletic director and coaches? I wish they would talk to us in a real honest way... And I mean all of them. Mac, Benford, AD etc... Just field some questions and address concerns on a weekly basis. Maybe every two weeks. It cannot be that hard.

Great idea . . . maybe they could air this thing on radio? Hold it at a local BBQ joint, so fans can eat and attend?

• Upvote 1

Great idea . . . maybe they could air this thing on radio? Hold it at a local BBQ joint, so fans can eat and attend?

Are you being sarcastic... I do not know the last time all three have been in the same room to field questions. I could care less about food. Radio sure. But I want real questions and honest answers. I want the AD to say if Mac or Benford would good hires and what he thinks. I like transparency and honesty.

How many weeks in a row do you want to hear Benny tell you "We still suck and there ain't nothing I can do about it?".

• Upvote 1

You are underestimating the huge role President Rawlins had in hiring coach Mac. I wouldn't be giving RV all the credit for that hire.

No.

RV gets credit for the hire. Otherwise you could also say that Gretchen was responsible for the Dodge hire.

Every hire is on RV, good or bad .

• Upvote 1