Armistice

Rudy

From the 2 plus weeks I’ve spent on GMG.com I’ve enjoyed some healthy debate and engaged in some good discussions. Unfortunately I have also heard the same repetitive, nonsensical arguments to nauseam. It’s clear that although there are some very clear and logical members of GMG.com there is also a healthy population of mindless drones so hardened that they believe their school deserves to be in the upper echelons of college football. I understand that every fan base suffers from these morons so I’m sure you can empathize. I would love to just talk about football but soon or a later UNT fans bring up the same “arguments”

UNT posters may refer to this guide for the answer before they bang out there tired retort or comeback. I suggest that UNT posters stick to simply replying with a fried chicken gif of some sort to keep it simple.

UNT POSTER: UTSA does not deserve to be in FBS football, they haven’t earned it, haven’t been around for 100 years, etc, etc, etc

ANSWER: This isn’t communist North Korea, this is America and any University has the right to take any path to achieve a higher status. It’s called initiative and UTSA embodies it. From the onset, Hickey and administration has a goal of moving fast and they made it happen. I’m sorry that the administration for UNT or {insert any school} decided to toll away in FCS or whatever low rent conference for so many years. Regardless if it was simply complacency or a lack of initiative doesn’t mean others need to follow the lead. UTSA reinvented on how to start a program. UNC Charlotte followed as they also recently accepted a CUSA bid before even playing a down of football. Deal with it.

UNT POSTER: Name one significant person, just one that graduated from UTSA.

ANSWER: I’m not sure what that has to do with sports but here you go. We have only been in existence since 1969:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_Texas_at_San_Antonio_people

UNT POSTER: The only reason you are where you are at is because of the San Antonio market

ANSWER: Not the only reason but it is absolutely one of the largest reasons. We will own that proudly. San Antonio is a great city that has finally has big time football. This is San Antonio’s team as much as UTSA’s team and we are all proud of that. People want to live in San Antonio and the population increases support that. I really don’t know what to say when people hold our geography against us. Sorry?

UNT POSTER: Your program is a joke and you are light-years away from us. You will be an easy victory for years to come

ANSWER: Unfortunately for UNT our football program is on the same level. We are recruiting the same talent and playing the same teams. We are already there. Tradition and years of existence does not equate to football wins or how a team competes. UNT may win this Saturday but UTSA will be competitive going forward.

UNT POSTER: But UNT was only recruiting/offering those players as a ruse so UTSA would go after them…hahaha joke is on you

ANSWER:

UNT POSTER: Build a stadium and then talk! You guys are leasing and losing tons of money to the city so how is that something to brag about?

ANSWER: Do you understand finances at all? We are a new program so why would we hemorrhage million of dollars on a new stadium when we have a perfectly good dome? How is a dome that allows all day tailgating, alcohol sales and always features perfect weather not something to brag about? The Alamodome is a great facility and allows UTSA to concentrate its efforts on building other non-football facilities. I’m sure Apogee is a nice stadium but we are happy with the Dome. I’m not knocking an on campus stadium but the fans are happy with what we have. I invite anyone to tailgate with UTSA and see how great the college football atmosphere is. We are there earlier and later than most schools allow.

Additionally the Dome is relatively cheap for UTSA. UTSA simply has to reimburse the city $30-40K per game to cover overhead costs. The city gets parking and concessions.

UNT POSTER: Your attendance numbers are high because you are a novelty….talk to me in 10 years when you’re struggling to get 8,000 fans

ANSWER: The facts are against you here. UTSA broke the attendance record for an inaugural game when 56,743 packed the dome in UTSA’s first football contest. Season ticket sales have gone up year over year and currently UTSA is on track to best 2012’s average attendance. This year we are second only to ECU. It’s impossible to know the future but if we were still a novelty, ticket sales would be declining

UNT POSTER: Tell me one thing you’ve won…anything just one!

ANSWER: I’ll start with our first year in Division I athletics (last year)

• WAC Commissioner Cup Champions (School that performs best in all 19 available championships)
  • WAC Champs – Baseball
  • WAC Champs – Indoor Track & Field

CUSA thus far….

• CUSA co-Champions in Cross County
  • CUSA Champs in Volleyball
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You are on the same level?

This is like trying to reason with a petulant three year old:

UTSA as a program has already caught up to you.

You can't have it both ways sweet heart. I know it's hard for you, what with the inferior education and all, but try and keep a coherent thread through your arguments.

We might lose Saturday but over the next few years you will slowly see the writing on the wall as UTSA passes you by.

LOL. This is where our history and your lack of it really shows. Do you know how many schools have told us this in the past? In the SBC alone we heard THIS EXACT SENTENCE from schools like MTSU, Troy and WKU. Those schools had much more success at the lower levels to hang their hat on, they even had some early success because they were lower division schools that were able to sell the imminent jump to the big leagues. Guess what? They fell quickly back to earth when they had to recruit on equal footing.

I mean, on some level, we find your three year old enthusiasm charming and precocious, but you act like such spoiled brats that it ruins it. Top flight football is a bumpy ride, strap in and try to act like you have been here before.

From the 2 plus weeks I’ve spent on GMG.com

This negates the rest of your post. No sane person would subject themselves to 2+ weeks of this godforsaken message board and this wacky fanbase if they were not a fan of UNT. I am a fan, so I'm stuck with these folks. You have a choice. I can not trust your judgement.

• Upvote 3

From the 2 plus weeks I’ve spent on GMG.com I’ve enjoyed some healthy debate and engaged in some good discussions. Unfortunately I have also heard the same repetitive, nonsensical arguments to nauseam. It’s clear that although there are some very clear and logical members of GMG.com there is also a healthy population of mindless drones so hardened that they believe their school deserves to be in the upper echelons of college football. I understand that every fan base suffers from these morons so I’m sure you can empathize. I would love to just talk about football but soon or a later UNT fans bring up the same “arguments”

UNT posters may refer to this guide for the answer before they bang out there tired retort or comeback. I suggest that UNT posters stick to simply replying with a fried chicken gif of some sort to keep it simple.

UNT POSTER: UTSA does not deserve to be in FBS football, they haven’t earned it, haven’t been around for 100 years, etc, etc, etc

ANSWER: This isn’t communist North Korea, this is America and any University has the right to take any path to achieve a higher status. It’s called initiative and UTSA embodies it. From the onset, Hickey and administration has a goal of moving fast and they made it happen. I’m sorry that the administration for UNT or {insert any school} decided to toll away in FCS or whatever low rent conference for so many years. Regardless if it was simply complacency or a lack of initiative doesn’t mean others need to follow the lead. UTSA reinvented on how to start a program. UNC Charlotte followed as they also recently accepted a CUSA bid before even playing a down of football. Deal with it.

ANSWER: I’m not sure what that has to do with sports but here you go. We have only been in existence since 1969:

UNT POSTER: The only reason you are where you are at is because of the San Antonio market

ANSWER: Not the only reason but it is absolutely one of the largest reasons. We will own that proudly. San Antonio is a great city that has finally has big time football. This is San Antonio’s team as much as UTSA’s team and we are all proud of that. People want to live in San Antonio and the population increases support that. I really don’t know what to say when people hold our geography against us. Sorry?

UNT POSTER: Your program is a joke and you are light-years away from us. You will be an easy victory for years to come

ANSWER: Unfortunately for UNT our football program is on the same level. We are recruiting the same talent and playing the same teams. We are already there. Tradition and years of existence does not equate to football wins or how a team competes. UNT may win this Saturday but UTSA will be competitive going forward.

UNT POSTER: But UNT was only recruiting/offering those players as a ruse so UTSA would go after them…hahaha joke is on you

ANSWER:

UNT POSTER: Build a stadium and then talk! You guys are leasing and losing tons of money to the city so how is that something to brag about?

ANSWER: Do you understand finances at all? We are a new program so why would we hemorrhage million of dollars on a new stadium when we have a perfectly good dome? How is a dome that allows all day tailgating, alcohol sales and always features perfect weather not something to brag about? The Alamodome is a great facility and allows UTSA to concentrate its efforts on building other non-football facilities. I’m sure Apogee is a nice stadium but we are happy with the Dome. I’m not knocking an on campus stadium but the fans are happy with what we have. I invite anyone to tailgate with UTSA and see how great the college football atmosphere is. We are there earlier and later than most schools allow.

Additionally the Dome is relatively cheap for UTSA. UTSA simply has to reimburse the city $30-40K per game to cover overhead costs. The city gets parking and concessions.

UNT POSTER: Your attendance numbers are high because you are a novelty….talk to me in 10 years when you’re struggling to get 8,000 fans

ANSWER: The facts are against you here. UTSA broke the attendance record for an inaugural game when 56,743 packed the dome in UTSA’s first football contest. Season ticket sales have gone up year over year and currently UTSA is on track to best 2012’s average attendance. This year we are second only to ECU. It’s impossible to know the future but if we were still a novelty, ticket sales would be declining

UNT POSTER: Tell me one thing you’ve won…anything just one!

ANSWER: I’ll start with our first year in Division I athletics (last year)

• WAC Commissioner Cup Champions (School that performs best in all 19 available championships)
  • WAC Champs – Baseball
  • WAC Champs – Indoor Track & Field

CUSA thus far….

P0GPM.gif

• Upvote 3

The reason we've been overrun with UTSA folks is because we allowed them to bait us. I said over a week ago, that it was best to ignore them, but noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :P

If a real rivalry develops, I blame all of you. There's no reason we should respond to their garbage. None. They are not, nor should they be, our rival.

• Upvote 2

<p>

From the 2 plus weeks Ive spent on GMG.com Ive enjoyed some healthy debate and engaged in some good discussions. Unfortunately I have also heard the same repetitive, nonsensical arguments to nauseam. Its clear that although there are some very clear and logical members of GMG.com there is also a healthy population of mindless drones so hardened that they believe their school deserves to be in the upper echelons of college football. I understand that every fan base suffers from these morons so Im sure you can empathize. I would love to just talk about football but soon or a later UNT fans bring up the same arguments

UNT POSTER: UTSA does not deserve to be in FBS football, they havent earned it, havent been around for 100 years, etc, etc, etc

ANSWER: This isnt communist North Korea, this is America and any University has the right to take any path to achieve a higher status. Its called initiative and UTSA embodies it. From the onset, Hickey and administration has a goal of moving fast and they made it happen. Im sorry that the administration for UNT or {insert any school} decided to toll away in FCS or whatever low rent conference for so many years. Regardless if it was simply complacency or a lack of initiative doesnt mean others need to follow the lead. UTSA reinvented on how to start a program. UNC Charlotte followed as they also recently accepted a CUSA bid before even playing a down of football. Deal with it.

ANSWER: Im not sure what that has to do with sports but here you go. We have only been in existence since 1969:

ANSWER: Not the only reason but it is absolutely one of the largest reasons. We will own that proudly. San Antonio is a great city that has finally has big time football. This is San Antonios team as much as UTSAs team and we are all proud of that. People want to live in San Antonio and the population increases support that. I really dont know what to say when people hold our geography against us. Sorry?

UNT POSTER: But UNT was only recruiting/offering those players as a ruse so UTSA would go after themhahaha joke is on you

ANSWER:

ANSWER: Do you understand finances at all? We are a new program so why would we hemorrhage million of dollars on a new stadium when we have a perfectly good dome? How is a dome that allows all day tailgating, alcohol sales and always features perfect weather not something to brag about? The Alamodome is a great facility and allows UTSA to concentrate its efforts on building other non-football facilities. Im sure Apogee is a nice stadium but we are happy with the Dome. Im not knocking an on campus stadium but the fans are happy with what we have. I invite anyone to tailgate with UTSA and see how great the college football atmosphere is. We are there earlier and later than most schools allow.

UNT POSTER: Your attendance numbers are high because you are a novelty.talk to me in 10 years when youre struggling to get 8,000 fans

ANSWER: The facts are against you here. UTSA broke the attendance record for an inaugural game when 56,743 packed the dome in UTSAs first football contest. Season ticket sales have gone up year over year and currently UTSA is on track to best 2012s average attendance. This year we are second only to ECU. Its impossible to know the future but if we were still a novelty, ticket sales would be declining

UNT POSTER: Tell me one thing youve wonanything just one!

ANSWER: Ill start with our first year in Division I athletics (last year)

• WAC Champs Baseball
  • WAC Champs Indoor Track & Field

CUSA thus far.

Might I offer a rebuttal:

1. Wrong, this is Murica!

2. 1969? My fraternity chapter at UNT is older than that.

3. Yes, we do hold geography against you and have the freedom to do so because this is Murica!

4.Same level. Nope, how many conference titles, All Americans, ect do you have? Solved.

5. I see you didn't answer number 5. Another W.

6. We use to play at Texas stadium. It sucked. Whatever makes you sleep at night. Allen High School, hell, every high school has their own stadium.

7. Shocker, people of SA went to the game because there is no college or NFL football there. With no KFC buckets they are flee. The numbers are decreasing. (come on, you need to own the KFC greatness)

So what we day has nothing to do with football? What does Indian leg leg wrestling have to do with this weekend? Nothing. But if it did UNT wins.

Bottom line, your RB is out. Your QB is banged up. (According to the internet which is never wrong) We have a very good team that started slow and is playing great football. We are at home, the beer will flow like wine, and y'all are in trouble Saturday.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

I do get confused, are they not just an underling of UT.

I mean it is built into their name like the slap mark welting up on the side of some red headed stepchild's face.

UTA

UTSMC

UTMBG

UTB

UTHSCH

UTD

UTHSCSA

UTEP

UTMDCC

UTPA

UTHSCT

UTPB

UTSA

UTT

You know I don't know if this will draw me one million negative votes, but I suppose it will. But frankly I've been a bit perplexed/confused/embarrassed regarding some of the posts/posters the last few weeks on this board.

I don't know how we can simply look down upon UTSA as if they are a second class university or not worthy of being on the same field as NT. Have I missed something? Some people here are acting as if we have the tradition of excellence of Alabama. In reality we don't have the tradition of excellence that TCU has. We are having a fantastic season with a program on this rise, but we are only a few years removed from arguably the lowest point in the history of the football program.

Yet, somehow we have people that can readily cast aspersions that UTSA doesn't deserve being in C-USA or are only around for a market or blah, blah, blah. And? So what?

When NT was trying to get into a new conference how many topics were posted about how attractive NT was/is because we are in the DFW market? Yet, for now when C-USA looks to attack a market. WHAT??!! That is just outlandish.

To me it reeks of a sibling that has just witnessed their brother/sister getting a new toy and they are crying and saying, "NO FAIR!"

Am I the only one that likes the idea of a in-state rival? Whether it ends up being UTSA, Rice, SMU, whomever, I don't care. Has our program come so far that we can just simply disregard another program that also has a chance at a conference title? To me, NO!

Digi, as for you post I respect most of it. I would leave the alumni part out of it. Yes you have only been around since 1969, but our alumni since since that time frame is a who's who of athletes, actors and business leaders. Not that UTSA isn't a nice institution, but you don't hold a candle there.

Oh, and you while I respect the job Coker and company has done, you don't have a chance Saturday.

Best of luck and let the negative votes begin.

Regards,

Patrick Cortes - Class of 2000

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

You know I don't know if this will draw me one million negative votes, but I suppose it will. But frankly I've been a bit perplexed/confused/embarrassed regarding some of the posts/posters the last few weeks on this board.

I don't know how we can simply look down upon UTSA as if they are a second class university or not worthy of being on the same field as NT. Have I missed something? Some people here are acting as if we have the tradition of excellence of Alabama. In reality we don't have the tradition of excellence that TCU has. We are having a fantastic season with a program on this rise, but we are only a few years removed from arguably the lowest point in the history of the football program.

Yet, somehow we have people that can readily cast aspersions that UTSA doesn't deserve being in C-USA or are only around for a market or blah, blah, blah. And? So what?

When NT was trying to get into a new conference how many topics were posted about how attractive NT was/is because we are in the DFW market? Yet, for now when C-USA looks to attack a market. WHAT??!! That is just outlandish.

To me it reeks of a sibling that has just witnessed their brother/sister getting a new toy and they are crying and saying, "NO FAIR!"

Am I the only one that likes the idea of a in-state rival? Whether it ends up being UTSA, Rice, SMU, whomever, I don't care. Has our program come so far that we can just simply disregard another program that also has a chance at a conference title? To me, NO!

Digi, as for you post I respect most of it. I would leave the alumni part out of it. Yes you have only been around since 1969, but our alumni since since that time frame is a who's who of athletes, actors and business leaders. Not that UTSA isn't a nice institution, but you don't hold a candle there.

Oh, and you while I respect the job Coker and company has done, you don't have a chance Saturday.

Best of luck and let the negative votes begin.

Regards,

Patrick Cortes - Class of 2000

Most here were just pushing their fandom and playing with the newbies.

I am more upset with where C-USA is going, I wanted to be in C-USA because of Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Rice, Tulane, LA Tech and to a lesser extent UTEP. But with only Rice and LA Tech being left I am not nearly as pumped up. I liked that those teams were locally known and within a reasonable driving distance. Tulane being the farthest I wanted to go, but having the opportunity to play in New Orleans as bonus and I would just fly. Even in the best of times in the Bowl years we had poor attendance for no name or not known teams to the casual fans of the area. The only real problem with UTSA is, as a Newbie they weaken the perception of the Conference at the moment to most casual fans I know. Which I think will hurt attendance to those home games against UTSA.

SMU would have been a fun town rivalry, a metroplex challenge every year with our position in the West as bragging rights. SMU what a fun team to beat? I expected to see good attendance as we started winning, plus playing teams like Houston, Tulsa, SMU, LA Tech and Rice. UTSA might build a name for itself after 10 or so years or if they knock off some the AQ guys like their namesake, maybe a bit faster. But they don't really help our situation much at this time.

SMU is bleeding out--fast. Like that program is in serious dire straits. Not a lot of talent, lame duck coach, no fans, no local support, DOA conference...we've had fan problems but we've hovered around 16-19k for a long time...SMU can't draw flies anymore.

Good. Their fancy campus will be filled with green when we go stomp on them every other year.

Armistice? As a undergrad currently at UNT, I will actively, annoyingly, obnoxiously talk trash to any opposing fan or player I see at Apogee, UNT, or anywhere leading up to the game . I won't be racist, cuss, or use any derogatory language, but I will harass. Maybe one day when I am an alumni I will be a respectful fan, but for now there is no armistice. If I see a fan who asks for directions or assistance, I will gladly assist, but be sure to end the conversation with a serious "UTSA sucks".

No armistice. Same goes for message boards.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1