Early defense next year (projected)

BillySee58

I know it's a little early for this, but one of the things I took from the game last night is that our defense looked as deep as it has all year, especially on the line where we saw a steady rotation. There is a lot of concern about the void the current seniors will leave, but at least a on defense we will have a lot of experience, even if we lose 6/7 starters.

Here's an early look at our starting defense for next year, or at least what it'll probably look like heading into spring.

Defensive tackles: Austin Orr, Alex Lincoln - neither start but both had sacks last night and have looked pretty solid, despite being undersized

Defensive ends: Darryl Mason, Chad Polk - Mason is a co-starter and Polk has been in the rotation all year

Linebackers: Akunne, Wallace, Sed Ellis/Fred Scott - Ellis has been seeing the field a lot lately, not just in mop up duty and Scott has been good too. Wallace was good enough to not redshirt at Oregon, which I like. Our other successful BCS transfers (Trice and Pegram) saw the field as true freshman.

Cornerbacks: Jones, Buyers - Jones has become a star and Buyers has been as consistent as it gets. Whitfield can make plays from the nickel.

Safeties: Lee, Evans/Shilleci/Chad Davis - Lee stepping up as not just a playmaker but also a leader will be big. Evans has experience but Shilleci could make a push and I could see the coaches bumping Davis to safety for added competition.

Guys like Orr and Abbe will be hard to replace, but we have a lot of guys getting experience and they could be capable of keeping this defense going strong. Especially with new guys coming in and potentially JUCO guys.

• Upvote 3

I would like to see Whitfield moved to starting safety. He seems to make good plays on the ball when he sees it leaves the qb hands vs one on one coverage with his back to the qb.

Davis is probably the worst person for safey. He is a cover corner and unt safeties are hitters and run stoppers.

Davis is bigger and a better tackler/harder hitter. Not saying he'll translate perfectly, but he hits well enough and he's still just a true freshman.

I would like to see Whitfield moved to starting safety. He seems to make good plays on the ball when he sees it leaves the qb hands vs one on one coverage with his back to the qb.

Davis is probably the worst person for safey. He is a cover corner and unt safeties are hitters and run stoppers.

Whitfield doesn't seem to have the instincts to play at safety. He can stay with receivers but he doesn't make plays when the ball is over his head. But if the coaches think he can do it then I'm all for it.

I'm not concerned about the back 7 in terms of starters or depth. I am concerned about the front four. I'd really like to see us nab a big bodied DT. We need weight and added depth along the line

Redshirt Freshman Syd Moore and true freshman Shaq Jackson could crack the rotation. Jackson has looked pretty dang disruptive for DeSoto this year.

I think our defense will be a bit worse next season, some of those defenders will need a moment to play at the level of this years seniors, but overall the defense will still be ok. I also think the offense might not be better than this season, because chancellor will certainly be missed, and whether any of the QBs is actually better than DT has to be seen. What I do fear though is a steep regression in special teams. I think our incredible depth and of course Brelan have a load to do with our awesome special teams play this year, and BC will be gone and depth everywhere will be thinner nex year.

I think our defense will be a bit worse next season, some of those defenders will need a moment to play at the level of this years seniors, but overall the defense will still be ok. I also think the offense might not be better than this season, because chancellor will certainly be missed, and whether any of the QBs is actually better than DT has to be seen. What I do fear though is a steep regression in special teams. I think our incredible depth and of course Brelan have a load to do with our awesome special teams play this year, and BC will be gone and depth everywhere will be thinner nex year.

Right. Defense will probably regress at least a little. The thing is that there is a good chance it won't regress a huge amount. That's all we need.

As far as offense, as long as that line is back we can do a lot on offense. DT has been a lot better, but he is still 12/11 touchdown to INT ratio and not much of a running threat. I wouldn't count out Berglund. The kid has been in Mac's doghouse this year but he still shows up everyday and works his butt off. Also hard to count out mini Mac and of course the coaches still like Dajon. Either way should be fun to watch our offense add that dimension of a running qb.

Receiver may have a drop off, and so may special teams but I think our special teams are good as a result of coaching. Although having Brelan sure helps.

All the more reason to get the younger players some good playing time any time we get enough of a lead. Get them in and get some experience.

EXACTLY.

UTEP IS A GAME THAT THIS SHOULD HAPPEN. Especially in skill positions where red shirts have already been burned.

Joseph would never put Whitfield as a safety.

Edited by SSP

Warner was moved to safety, so expect him to push there. That is your depth and competition.

Davis should stay at CB.

Really need to do their best to pick up a big JUCO DT. Doesn't have to be a top guy, but it will be hard to replace this year's version of Abbe with 260 lb guys. Someone as good as Atkinson would be fine.

Oh, thanks! Forgot about Freddie! Big-time player who could be special if healthy.

I agree about picking up a JUCO d-tackle. We usually give Dodge a hard time for burning Derek Thompson's redshirt, but man I sure wish Abbe could've redshirted while he was learning to play defensive tackle as a true freshman back in Dodge's last year. If only Abbe was a redshirt junior. We're really going to miss him, but at least he's given us a senior year to remember