Question for UNT students on the ground in Denton

Harry

Things may have changed, but when I was in school Greeks represented at games proportionately much higher than the general student population. I'd be surprised if that's changed all that much.

One of the biggest differences is the number of Greeks on The Hill vs the number in the stadium. Could be just perceptive, but it always seemed that way to me.

Things may have changed, but when I was in school Greeks represented at games proportionately much higher than the general student population. I'd be surprised if that's changed all that much.

I see much more lay GDI students making noise in the stands than I ever do Greeks. However, I do recognize a multitude of Greeks involving themselves in other orgs like SAA, SGA, etc. that are mixed in, so there's that.

Not sure of their real name it was't the regular instructor. I am in a research class and for two weeks we have a tax research portion. I can tell you she teaches ACCT 5310.

Edit: Allison McLeod

Ah, so you're on the audit side with Conover then. You never have to suffer McLeod beyond this two weeks. She'll pummel you in your grade for that portion. Hopefully Conover will take it with a grain of salt, although she's no easy A either.

Who's doing internal audit since Clay left?

I see much more lay GDI students making noise in the stands than I ever do Greeks.

I wasn't talking about sheer numbers . . . obviously, there is a much higher number of independents at UNT than there are Greeks. What are there . . . maybe 1000 Greeks out of 35k students? So if 2 out of 35 students in attendance are Greek, they are representing at a rate double that of the general student population.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't talking about sheer numbers . . . obviously, there is a much higher number of independents at UNT than there are Greeks. What are there . . . maybe 1000 Greeks out of 35k students? So if 2 out of 35 students in attendance are Greek, they are representing at a rate double that of the general student population.

I hate the term "independents." Even more so than GDI. I choose not to pay for friends. How does that make me "independent?" That makes me a "normal" student.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

I hate the term "independents." Even more so than GDI. I choose not to pay for friends. How does that make me "independent?" That makes me a "normal" student.

Dumb statement. Yes, members of fraternities pay dues, as do members of most any organization. But those dues go to pay various expenses, such as national dues, house maintenance, social functions, etc. None of that is allotted toward "purchasing" or "renting friends." It's just going toward things that people with similar interests think are important.

Have you ever bought anything for a friend? Bought drinks, paid his way into a movie or sporting event, etc.? If so, then shut up.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Dumb statement. Yes, members of fraternities pay dues, as do members of most any organization. But those dues go to pay various expenses, such as national dues, house maintenance, social functions, etc. None of that is allotted toward "purchasing" or "renting friends." It's just going toward things that people with similar interests think are important.

Have you ever bought anything for a friend? Bought drinks, paid his way into a movie or sporting event, etc.? If so, then shut up.

I actually literally pay for friends. I rent them on the weekends to hang out with me.

• Upvote 1

This must be a joke.

As pointed out out by mean green 93-98, proportionally the Greeks show more support than non-Greeks. So how about calling out the the 8000-9000 non-Greek students who live on campus and have never been to a single game. Furthermore, the Greek tailgates are consistently bringing out the largest groups to the tailgate, which raises the potential for people making their way into the game. Sometimes it's larger than others, but the potential is always there. Additionally, even the Greeks that don't go into the game or even to tailgate for that matter, know what is going on with this football program. This week I have put forth a tremendous amount of effort to promote the game, mainly targeting non-Greek students in my classes and on Facebook, and I have to tell you I'm shocked at how many people don't even know how good we're doing. The number 1 response was, "I've never been to a game, but I'll probably pass since all we do is lose." I'm so sick of hearing the bashing of Greek involvement on this website for two reasons: 1. We are heavily involved in athletics (hell there are two football players in my fraternity) and 2. we're all Mean Green fans, so why would bash any who supports our team. I don't call out "GDI" for having low attendance rates.Whether your Greek or non-Greek, if you don't support your either ignorant to the program, don't like football, or an idiot.

That being said, everyone keep up the promotions, our boys truly do deserve the largest crowd they've ever seen in apogee and it's largely our responsibility as fans to get butts in those stands.

GMG

Edited by D-ry
  • Upvote 3

Greek life was pretty good to me. It's been really good to me in adulthood. Still hang out pretty frequently with the guys from over twenty years ago. I can't convince anyone who didn't do it that it's not buying friends. It's pretty useless to try. That said, the undergraduate chapters could do a little bit better job on publicly representing themselves. Smart fraternities don't wave flags and wear letters when they're throwing back cases of PBR.

• Upvote 1

Told my students to bring me their ticket stub to my office next week and I will give them extra credit..

I don't know which teacher this is, but I have to give you props! I'm probably going to lose some points in my ACCT class for attending the game. We need more teachers like yourself.

• Upvote 1

I couldn't afford to buy friends in college.... Now when I try and buy in as an old fart they just crank up their red dirt and pretend they don't hear me. Punk kids.