Mac Extension...?

BIG DAWG

I'm not saying to give him one tomorrow, but does he get one in the offseason after 6, 7, 8 wins...a bowl game...a bowl win???

I'm actually comfortable/confident extending him at the end of the season for the job he has already done. I mean look at the difference he has made in this program over the 3 seasons he's been here.

It is a positive pitch in recruiting to know the coach is going to be around for a while...and I think it is good for the fan base.

Mac has done an incredible job...

1. Defense...hard hitting, tone setters...a far cry from where they were when he got here

2. 10-4 at Apogee...huge for building the fan base

3. Very competitive in out of conference games...no matter who it is...K-St and Georgia

4. Building a deep roster

5. Has a plan and sticks to it...he knows how to build this thing

Edited by BIG DAWG
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

On Coach Mac's Day 1 as North Texas HFC a few of us said Year 3 before he'd be able to start making hay with this program post-Dodge. Well, he is officially making hay with this football program--slowly and surely.

Since Coach Fry tenure at North Texas this is the only North Texas HFC that I'd even think contract extension at this juncture.

I do wish we also had a sizeable buyout clause with his contract, too, if we don't already. (I could be wrong, but at age 60 I think we have a good chance of hanging onto him compared to if he were age 50).

Prediction: If North Texas goes bowling this year I predict it will be then that Coach Chico gets some interviews for a HFC's job with a job offer (or 2). Wnning does the darndest things for any football program and its athletic personnel.

GMG!

Think Halloween Night At Apogee Stadium! floating-ghost.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'd see two different occasions for an extension:

1) We hit 8 wins, almost impossible to be denied a bowl game (notice I said almost) and that's a hell of a record compared to what he took us from.

2) We only hit 6 wins but get a bowl berth, then win the bowl.

So 8 wins, or 6 plus a bowl win. 7 plus a bowl, win or lose the bowl, would be a "maybe". But this is just my opinion...not saying we shouldn't extend him, just shouldn't rush it.

• Upvote 3

Hasn't he already done a bunch of what many projected would never happen?

Most importantly- hasn't he already started to restore the terrible reputation that North Texas has had in the football community? Wasn't that a near impossible and highly unrealistic feat at the beginning of this season?

Keep this man here PLEASE. He has already lit a match. Imagine what he can do with another 3 years....

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

If we win 6-8 this season are we worried about him jumping ship? If we win 6-8 next season are we worried about him jumping ship? I don't think there will be that many schools knocking down his door. With age and medical issues on top of it. I'm glad to have him here no doubt but I don't think we need to entertain this till his contract expires.

• Upvote 1

That was my question...

When would you?

Obviously, the 10 year extension remark was sarcasm.

How about we wait until after the season, and if it includes a bowl, until after the bowl game until taking up this topic.

Way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, x 1000 premature.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Hasn't he already done a bunch of what many projected would never happen?

Most importantly- hasn't he already started to restore the terrible reputation that North Texas has had in the football community? Wasn't that a near impossible and highly unrealistic feat at the beginning of this season?

Keep this man here PLEASE. He has already lit a match. Imagine what he can do with another 3 years....

No, he hasn't restored anything reputation wise with the public. He hasn't won yet.

No. It wasn't an impossibility. He has what might just be the best facilities in CUSA. He has more to work with than any coach in the history of UNT football. This was his 3rd season, when coaches are expected to succeed.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If we win 6-8 this season are we worried about him jumping ship? If we win 6-8 next season are we worried about him jumping ship? I don't think there will be that many schools knocking down his door. With age and medical issues on top of it. I'm glad to have him here no doubt but I don't think we need to entertain this till his contract expires.

If we wait until it expires...he may have started looking around (if he even wants to go anywhere else after UNT) by then and it could hurt recruiting. I don't want to "jump the gun" but we shouldn't wait too long either. If it's the semester before the original contract's end (edit: semester prior to the beginning of what would be his last season, does that make more sense?) and we want to keep him, don't wait any longer than that to give him an extension.

Edited by JesseMartin

He has what might just be the best facilities in CUSA.

Dude. I don't mean to knock LA Tech for their stadium. It certainly is better than the dump that was Fours. But Apogee is spoiling us. It so, so, so much nicer.

Makes me optimistic for baseball because LA Tech had pretty nice digs for that. I expect ours is going to be even better.

I'm actually amazed it took this long for this thread to come around.

No, it's not time yet. Beat USM, then Rice, then UTEP...so on and so on. IF at season's end we are bowling and looking good you START to have this conversation. IF the players who take over after Brelan, Orr, Trice etc continue to be successful then you pull the trigger.

Everywhere else in college football they look for continued success before they start talking extension. Let's not be any different.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2

No, he hasn't restored anything reputation wise with the public. He hasn't won yet.

No. It wasn't an impossibility. He has what might just be the best facilities in CUSA. He has more to work with than any coach in the history of UNT football. This was his 3rd season, when coaches are expected to succeed.

While being a pathetic (but true) excuse for a positive: WE just won two games in a row for the first time since 2004. We're talking about winning conference and bowl games. I'd say that's a significant difference. Most recruits look at program directives, coaches and how they see themselves in a program/school first. Everything else, while being important, is secondary.

He has undoubtedly had a huge positive effect on this football program. If three years is exactly when that's supposed to happen, then I guess he's on schedule.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 3

While being a pathetic (but true) excuse for a positive: WE just won two games in a row for the first time since 2004. We're talking about winning conference and bowl games. I'd say that's a significant difference. Most recruits look at program directives, coaches and how they see themselves in a program/school first. Everything else, while being important, is secondary.

He has undoubtedly had a huge positive effect on this football program. If three years is exactly when that's supposed to happen, then I guess he's on schedule.

When you start your argument for the extension of a coaching contract with "We just won 2 games in a row for the first time since 2004" do you really expect to win said argument?

That is all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

You can't wait until a coaches contract runs out because it will kill recruiting. What kid is going to go play for a coach when that guy only has one or two years on his deal?

If you are going to keep a coach, you need to renew him. If Mac gets us to a bowl game he will be renewed.

Agreed.

No recruit is going to want to come to school where they can smell a regime change.

When you start your argument for the extension of a coaching contract with "We just won 2 games in a row for the first time since 2004" do you really expect to win said argument?

That is all.

Boy, you're in a mood today...

That wasn't exactly the argument. I was countering the fact that you said he hasn't done ANYTHING OR WON YET.

I agree that this thread is premature, but you can't honestly suggest that he hasn't done anything to significantly benefit the program.

WHY are you always more snippy when we win? Its kinda weird.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 3

You can't wait until a coaches contract runs out because it will kill recruiting. What kid is going to go play for a coach when that guy only has one or two years on his deal?

If you are going to keep a coach, you need to renew him. If Mac gets us to a bowl game he will be renewed.

I don't necessarily disagree. I would like to wait until after signing day in February, but I know the argument of "that would hurt the recruiting effort" may be somewhat valid.

I would extend for 2 years and no further (obviously dependent on a 7-5 record and bowl game as a minimum criteria). If he is successful again next year, we can talk about another extension.

But all this is way, way, way down the road.

• Upvote 1

I don't necessarily disagree. I would like to wait until after signing day in February, but I know the argument of "that would hurt the recruiting effort" may be somewhat valid.

I would extend for 2 years and no further (obviously dependent on a 7-5 record and bowl game as a minimum criteria). If he is successful again next year, we can talk about another extension.

But all this is way, way, way down the road.

I actually 100% agree with you

I do want to clarify...I'm not talking about extending his contract tomorrow...just an interesting topic I thought.