A-train service to Apogee on Saturday

James329

HELL NO!!! JUST MEANS TO BRING A COOLER OR MAKE SURE FOLKS HAVE ENOUGH BEER FOR YOUR OLD ARSE!!!

I wonder how big a bag you could bring on the train? Also remember they sell ice at the concession stand that faces the Hill now which is pretty cool. It's a huge bag of ice though not easy to lift.

My wife and I are going to ride the A train. We live near Preston and Forest. Bringing the kids. I'll be interested to see how this goes.

Let us know..might be a "rough spot" or two this first time out, but what a great idea.

• Upvote 1

Make it a Green Day on Game Day in Denton

The University of North Texas Athletic Department and the Denton County Transportation Authority (DCTA) are partnering together for a special “Get Your Green On” promotion in conjunction with this weekend’s Mean Green football game versus Ball State. All fans and passengers wearing “Mean Green” colors or apparel can ride DCTA services FREE of charge on game day, September 14.

The game day DCTA free services include the A-train as well as a special shuttle from downtown to the base of the highway pedestrian bridge by Fouts Field. The A-train will offer regularly scheduled service between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. on Saturday. DCTA will offer shuttle buses from the Downtown Denton Transit Center to the stadium every 15 minutes between 11:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Additionally Connect Routes 7 and 8 also provide transit connections to the stadium. Shuttle services will also serve the businesses in downtown before and after the game. Transit service will be available between the square and the Downtown Denton Transit Center until 10:00 p.m. with the last southbound A-train leaving the transit center at 11:15 p.m.

”UNT and DCTA have always had a great partnership, and this game day shuttle is another example of that partnership,” stated Jim Cline, DCTA president. “The transit connections to the stadium, accented by the activity and offerings in downtown Denton, are great reason for alumni and Mean Green fans throughout the area to take the A-train and enjoy the day in Denton.”

“This is another opportunity to create economic impact in Denton on game days” said Rick Villarreal, the North Texas Director of Athletics. “We really appreciate DCTA and UNT Parking Services working with us on this partnership. It’s the first time we have tried it, and we hope to build on the idea in advance of the November 9th Homecoming game when we may offer it again. The earlier kick times for the Ball State and UTEP games fit in well with existing DCTA schedules in Denton.”

“If you have not been to a North Texas game at Apogee yet, and maybe haven’t been to our downtown area in recent years, what a great way to see all the positive changes,” said Villarreal. “Denton is a really large college town and the advances made in our downtown in recent years have certainly added to the choices you have on a game day. We want you on property and tailgating, but making a stop downtown for food and entertainment is also a great option before or after the games. This partnership offers those choices.”

Downtown Denton will be busy on Saturday with the annual Arts, Antiques and Autos event that will run from 9am until 3pm. Take advantage of this promotion and enjoy music, art, food and a scavenger hunt as well as a plethora of unique shops on the Downtown Square. Then catch the shuttle in time for the 3pm kick-off. Make it a GREEN day!

Tickets to the game can be purchased in advanced online at MeanGreenSports.com or by calling the Athletic Ticket Office at 1-800-UNT-2366 or on game day at the Gate 3 entrance which is a short walk from the highway pedestrian bridge. The game kicks off at 3pm at Apogee Stadium. Additional information regarding North Texas Football and the game day fan experience can be found at Mean Green Sports.com click on Football Game day.

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Upvote 1

Great info James!!!

The game day DCTA free services include the A-train as well as a special shuttle from downtown to the base of the highway pedestrian bridge by Fouts Field. The A-train will offer regularly scheduled service between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. on Saturday. DCTA will offer shuttle buses from the Downtown Denton Transit Center to the stadium every 15 minutes between 11:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Additionally Connect Routes 7 and 8 also provide transit connections to the stadium. Shuttle services will also serve the businesses in downtown before and after the game. Transit service will be available between the square and the Downtown Denton Transit Center until 10:00 p.m. with the last southbound A-train leaving the transit center at 11:15 p.m.

"The game day DCTA free services include the A-train as well as a special shuttle from downtown to the base of the highway pedestrian bridge by Fouts Field. The A-train will offer regularly scheduled service between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. on Saturday. DCTA will offer shuttle buses from the Downtown Denton Transit Center to the stadium every 15 minutes between 11:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Additionally Connect Routes 7 and 8 also provide transit connections to the stadium. Shuttle services will also serve the businesses in downtown before and after the game. Transit service will be available between the square and the Downtown Denton Transit Center until 10:00 p.m. with the last southbound A-train leaving the transit center at 11:15 p.m."

You'll notice this is the answer to the specific shuttle between Apogee and DDTC stopping at 7:30 PM. 7 & 8 are a hop/skip away form the fouts side of the Ped bridge.

• Upvote 1

The Denton County Transportation Authority (DCTA) and the University of North Texas Athletic Department are partnering together for a special “Get Your Green On” promotion in conjunction with this weekend’s Mean Green football game versus Ball State. All fans and passengers wearing “Mean Green” colors or apparel can ride the DCTA local system for free on game day, September 14.

DCTA will also provide a complimentary shuttle from the Downtown Denton Transit Center to the base of the highway pedestrian bridge near Fouts Field every 15 minutes between 11:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Additionally, Connect Routes 7 and 8 also provide transit connections to the stadium. The A-train will offer regularly scheduled service between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. on Saturday.

Due to limited parking at the DDTC, attendees are encouraged to park at the MedPark station and ride the A-train to downtown Denton.

Shuttle services will also serve the businesses in downtown before and after the game. Transit service will be available between the square and the Downtown Denton Transit Center until 10:00 p.m., with the last southbound A-train leaving the transit center at 11:53 p.m.

”UNT and DCTA have always had a great partnership, and this game day shuttle is another example of that partnership,” stated Jim Cline, DCTA president. “The transit connections to the stadium, accented by the activity and offerings in downtown Denton, are great reason for alumni and Mean Green fans throughout the area to take the A-train and enjoy the day in Denton.”

Downtown Denton will be busy on Saturday with the annual Arts, Antiques and Autos event that will run from 9am until 3pm. Take advantage of this promotion and enjoy music, art, food and a scavenger hunt as well as a plethora of unique shops on the Downtown Square. Then catch the shuttle in time for the 3pm kick-off. Make it a GREEN day!

Call 940-243-0077 for more information regarding the A-train schedule. For additional event details, visit MeanGreenSports.com or call the Athletic Ticket Office at 1-800-UNT-2366.

• Upvote 1

Key points:

Drop off and pick up are at the pedestrian bridge on the Fouts side.

Last shuttle leaves at 7:30 pm

Last South A-train from Denton is 11:53pm

Its FREE with Mean green gear or green

Doesn't include DART

You CAN take coolers on the A-train and the shuttle

You can park at the DDTC for FREE and ride the shuttle to the game (small lot though)

You can park at MedPark and ride the train to the shuttle at the DDTC for Free

Shuttle will be running from the square to the DDTC until 10 (Later than usual)

They are only doing this for this game and maybe homecoming

Helpful tip: if you aren't a regular rider, PLAN your trips to and from.

I think its great. I hope enough people ride that this becomes a regular thing.

• Upvote 1

Key points:

Drop off and pick up are at the pedestrian bridge on the Fouts side.

Last shuttle leaves at 7:30 pm

Last South A-train from Denton is 11:53pm

Its FREE with Mean green gear or green

Doesn't include DART

You CAN take coolers on the A-train and the shuttle

You can park at the DDTC for FREE and ride the shuttle to the game (small lot though)

You can park at MedPark and ride the train to the shuttle at the DDTC for Free

Shuttle will be running from the square to the DDTC until 10 (Later than usual)

They are only doing this for this game and maybe homecoming

Helpful tip: if you aren't a regular rider, PLAN your trips to and from.

I think its great. I hope enough people ride that this becomes a regular thing.

If only they would do this for weekday basketball games ...

• Upvote 1

I think the issue there is they don't run service that late as it is, and basketball doesn't draw as many people.

Once construction ramps up on 35E, if you live south of the Lewisville bridge traffic into Denton will likely prevent people from going to games. I'm not looking forward to the construction and will weigh the benefits of sitting in traffic versus the quality of the team and the opponent the team is playing. That might make me a "bad fan" but is the time spent navigating all that traffic going to be worth it?

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

This is awesome!

Glad that you have to be wearing UNT apparel to get the free ride - great idea and promotion!

Hope they're advertising this in Dallas and other A-Train locations to bring more people!

A good time to really get this thing going would be the SMU game next year with UNT representatives (Students, administrators etc.) at stations along the route to assist fans so that the train will eventually become second nature. Done right and this thing could really help our attendance. What about a special UNT train in the future with a little cash bar? The possibilities are unlimited and it is something that is basically unique for the Mean Green.
  • Upvote 1

What is the cost via DART to Denton?

I live in North Dallas, near Greenville and Mockingbird.

Where is the closest DART station for my location?

Charlie isn't there a huge station at Mockingbird and Central? Next to that shopping area on the NE side?

What is the cost via DART to Denton?

I live in North Dallas, near Greenville and Mockingbird.

Where is the closest DART station for my location?

The DART/A-Train transition point is the Trinity Mills station on the Green Line. Sounds like you want to catch either the Orange, Blue or Red Line into downtown Dallas at the Mockingbird Station and then catch the Green Line into Carrollton at one of 4 different stations. If you happen to catch the Orange Line you can actually ride it to the Bachman Station. Normally a Regional pass is $10 for a full day but since they say if you wear Mean Green Gear you should only have to pay $5 for a full day pass.

Here is the DART Rail Map:

dartrailmapdec2012large.gif

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3

For me -- I would catch the green line at Royal Station and take to to where it connects to the A-Train in Carrollton; the A-Train takes me to the Denton Square and I can catch a shuttle bus from the square to the Fouts side of the bridge. I am seriously thinking about doing this as I am interested to see how it works and also want to support this effort so they will hopefully continue to develop it.

FYI...rides on the Denton busses from rail to Apogee and to downtown square and back to rail, etc. are FREE Saturday to those wearing Mean green Green...or so the Denton paper said this morning! Nice job in coordinating this between the Athletic folks and Denton Transportation. You know...those folks in the Athletic Center who just sit around and never do anything as some like to harp on around here. Seriously, lots of things are being worked on for the better these days and lots of new positive initiatives are being worked on these days. All one has to do is look around and one can note the progress.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

FYI...rides on the Denton busses from rail to Apogee and to downtown square and back to rail, etc. are FREE Saturday to those wearing Mean green Green...or so the Denton paper said this morning! Nice job in coordinating this between the Athletic folks and Denton Transportation. You know...those folks in the Athletic Center who just sit around and never do anything as some like to harp on around here. Seriously, lots of things are being worked on for the better these days and lots of new positive initiatives are being worked on these days. All one has to do is look around and one can note the progress.

This is a nice job by all those involved at the AD and DCTA. I say good things about things I think are good and call a turd a turd. I won't love it an hug it just because its a green one.