Meltdown within the Mean Green Nation

Mean_Green09

Honest question for you 09. If Kyle Orton tore it up in practice and the pre-season games would you favor benching Tony Romo for the season opener? Is "he has played the best in practice" really intended to be re-assuring when we've seen the in game evidence? You speak of the other quarterbacks' "potential" as if it shouldn't be intriguing to us all. In truth, being a superstar in practice only means you have the potential to carry it over into Saturday...and we haven't seen that yet.

You already know that their is a talent difference from Tony to Kyle. No matter how well Orton practiced an NFL coach and personnel dept. should be able to see determine who the best player is. Plus they already have in game evidence to help in their decision. That doesnt even compare to what we have going on at UNT. If you go by in game evidence well then Mac's choice is even more clear.We have only seen the in game evidence from DT. What evidence do you have to say with a certainty that one of other QB's is a better option than DT? Prove the case to me that UNT is better off with another QB not DT. Prove to me that it equals more wins. Prove to me that one of those other guys is a better option.

I dont think you can. DT has earned his right to be the starter. The job wasnt just handed to him because he was a senior. He had to earn it this time around. Im hoping he proves all the critics wrong on Aug 31st.

I'm not saying that the potential shouldnt be intriguing, but it shouldnt be used to determine who is the starter. Potential is a scary word to toss around.

• Upvote 1

I refuse to agree with the fans who believe that DT being labeled as a starter at this point of the season is a reason to believe we will lose more games than we win. This season does not hinge on DT alone.

I hope there's something in his bag of tricks,

Because I don't see a much better fix.

But some folks have the feeling

DT lowers our ceiling

Which Canales implied was just 6.

You already know that their is a talent difference from Tony to Kyle. No matter how well Orton practiced an NFL coach and personnel dept. should be able to see determine who the best player is. Plus they already have in game evidence to help in their decision.

The way I read this, you give a lot of credit and security to the incumbent...no matter what they did previous seasons.

Given our performance at the QB position the last couple years, I personally don't agree with this.

The way I read this, you give a lot of credit and security to the incumbent...no matter what they did previous seasons.

Given our performance at the QB position the last couple years, I personally don't agree with this.

No I don't. I give credit to the best player. I trust myself and scouting ability to determine who gives my team the best chance to win. Based upon what I've seen from all our QBs I understand the choice for Thompson. Had I been allowed in practice and been able to watch film I may have a different opinion. I trust Coach Mac and Canales to make the right choice as should you.

• Upvote 1

No I don't. I give credit to the best player. I trust myself and scouting ability to determine who gives my team the best chance to win. Based upon what I've seen from all our QBs I understand the choice for Thompson. Had I been allowed in practice and been able to watch film I may have a different opinion. I trust Coach Mac and Canales to make the right choice as should you.

In regards to your original post, I think the "sky falling" mentality is based on the only evidence we have as a fan base: DT's stats and record as a starter. I don't blame people one bit for being upset that DT is going to continue as a starter! His past performance is not good enough. And you know what? DT knows that.

I still say we have other problems that are just as big, but the point of this thread is the QB position.

There are rumors that we have some serious weapons behind DT on the depth chart. Dajon has been a pleasant surprise. BB was respected like Johnny football coming out of high school. For various reasons they have not unseated DT and I, for one, don't fault anyone for getting their hopes up about a better QB in 2013. Faced with even the possibility of repeat performances of 2011 and 2012 is frustrating.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

In regards to your original post, I think the "sky falling" mentality is based on the only evidence we have as a fan base: DT's stats and record as a starter. I don't blame people one bit for being upset that DT is going to continue as a starter! His past performance is not good enough. And you know what? DT knows that.

I still say we have other problems that are just as big, but the point of this thread is the QB position.

There are rumors that we have some serious weapons behind DT on the depth chart. Dajon has been a pleasant surprise. BB was respected like Johnny football coming out of high school. For various reasons they have not unseated DT and I, for one, don't fault anyone for getting their hopes up about a better QB in 2013. Faced with even the possibility of repeat performances of 2011 and 2012 is frustrating.

DT was a little disappointing in 2012. In 2011 though he went 5-5 as a starter and threw five more TDs than INTs, along with 3 rushing TDs. He's never been an all-conference caliber QB, but his overall record as a starter, 9-13, is MUCH better than the record of 13-59, which is what his predecessors compiled from 2005-2010. Why do we criticize his record rather than credit him with more than doubling our recent winning percentage?

• Upvote 3

DT was a little disappointing in 2012. In 2011 though he went 5-5 as a starter and threw five more TDs than INTs, along with 3 rushing TDs. He's never been an all-conference caliber QB, but his overall record as a starter, 9-13, is MUCH better than the record of 13-59, which is what his predecessors compiled from 2005-2010. Why do we criticize his record rather than credit him with more than doubling our recent winning percentage?

Very fair response! Perhaps the coaching change has unfairly overshadowed all this discussion about DT.

• Upvote 1

Why do we criticize his record rather than credit him with more than doubling our recent winning percentage?

Because we are North Texas and we eat our own. You know, only at North Texas.

No matter what the topic, there is a group of folks who will always, always find something to criticize! Don't believe it? Just look for the posts if North Texas wins against Idaho on the 31st, but by a small margin. Instead of being happy that the Mean Green is 1-0 and opened at home with a win for the first time in forever, they will find plenty to complain about...missed opportunities, bad coaching, bad QB play, no DL, yadda, yadda yadda! Book it! Only at North Texas!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

No matter what the topic, there is a group of folks who will always, always find something to criticize! Don't believe it? Just look for the posts if North Texas wins against Idaho on the 31st, but by a small margin. Instead of being happy that the Mean Green is 1-0 and opened at home with a win for the first time in forever, they will find plenty to complain about...missed opportunities, bad coaching, bad QB play, no DL, yadda, yadda yadda! Book it! Only at North Texas!

You obviously don't read other boards. Especially BCS school boards.

I'd be thrilled with a W on the 31st.

• Upvote 3

I will be ecstatic if we win by 1 point against Idaho.

As far as "finding" something to criticize, you only have to look to 8 years of losing football and the currently unchecked dismantling of a once proud and on the brink of special basketball program to realize it really ain't that hard to " find something to criticize."

• Upvote 1

We had some issues running the ball last year. I'd imagine if that gets cleaned up we'll see any QB back there look much better quickly.

Also our redzone scoring was awful compared to the dodge years. We have to get some push within the 20s.

DTs int/att is much better than the dodge QBs even if it did regress last year

Edited by MeanMag