Three Practices Open to The Public...

There is actually a need at Texas to do this right now--its because their fanbase is feeling very nervous right now. They have had three seasons that are not up to their standards--theirs, not ours. Their fanbase is tired of getting prison-raped by OU in the Cotton Bowl every October. Now, they get their little brothers to the east in College Station who left home and literally became a big success in the SEC overnight, so much so that recruiting is overwhelmingly going in the Aggies favor right now. Their fans are increasingly becoming angry and dissatisfied with the direction of the program. Opening up a few practices for them is probably a nice way to make nice with the thousands of fans that want to see a practice in Austin. Texas needs to do this right now because they are on the precipice of falling backwards even more. It isn't hard to see an 80s level fall back from the Longhorns if things don't get better soon. Thats going to be a lot of t-shirts to win back again.

At North Texas, you, me, and about 50 other people that aren't parents, siblings, or friends of current players would like to watch a practice. Sure, I wish we had more that wanted that, but I am giving McCarney the benefit of the doubt that he knows what is best for his team. Would I like to see an open practice or two? Absolutely. But Texas is doing this because they are LOSING t-shirt fans at a fast rate right now, which costs money. Here at UNT, we don't have t-shirt fans. Hell, we barely have fans, as compared to our size. Its watermelons to plums when looking at these two schools. One wants football to be their window to their great research university. They have a legacy to try and keep. the other university has proven for decades that they feel that football only takes away from music, arts, and academia, which they feel provide a great "value" to the population.

I think I hear you now--and I tend to agree on wanting some practices open for the fans--but I don't think we are missing anything big because we don't open them up. We just don't have enough fans to push the needle here. Otherwise, when Dickey was our head coach and we opened up practices to everyone, we would have seen attendance jump greatly, especially when we were winning the SBC in a dominant fashion. Instead, when Dodge took over, and now with McCarney, we have seen attendance increase, even if it is not where we want it to be or thought it would be when Apogee was built.

I think you and I agree more than we disagree. Like you said, tU needs this, and I realized that right away when I first read it on the reality board. But then I couldn't help but think, if they need it, we surely do...and more, right?

All Im asking is, are we doing all we can? If we are, then I think we can do better IMO.

Rick

Coach Mac gets to make the rules and we have to live with them. This is his third year here so why bother ripping off that old scab about closed practices ... unless you like causing drama?

Coach Mac apparantly does get to make ALL the rules.

When I asked RV in Houston about why we can't seem to get the timing of the Mean Green March down so that everyone can participate instead of what it has become...a random showing up of sporadic walk-thru's that is slowly dying with each home game, he said it was all on Mac. Then when I asked why we can't get some semblance of a standard entry into the stadium for our team prior to kick off like so many other programs do instead of what we currently have...a random showing up of sporadic starts and stops, he said that too was all on Mac.

Maybe Mac also killed the Junior Mean Green Spirit lines that our kids loved to participate in, it's probably just too much trouble? And maybe he killed the traditional post game activity of playing down on the field the kids truly looked forward too after every home game as well? It's possible, I don't know. Regardless, who needs those stupid traditions. We know in our heart of hearts we have all the fans we need.

Rick

I think you and I agree more than we disagree. Like you said, tU needs this, and I realized that right away when I first read it on the reality board. But then I couldn't help but think, if they need it, we surely do...and more, right?

All Im asking is, are we doing all we can? If we are, then I think we can do better IMO.

Rick

Unless we have massive hordes of angry people trying to knock down the gates to Apogee, opening practices to the general public ain't going to change a thing. Right now Rick you are the only one to express any interest on boarding the Pequod to go off to slay your white whale.

• Upvote 1

Coach Mac apparantly does get to make ALL the rules.

When I asked RV in Houston about why we can't seem to get the timing of the Mean Green March down so that everyone can participate instead of what it has become...a random showing up of sporadic walk-thru's that is slowly dying with each home game, he said it was all on Mac. Then when I asked why we can't get some semblance of a standard entry into the stadium for our team prior to kick off like so many other programs do instead of what we currently have...a random showing up of sporadic starts and stops, he said that too was all on Mac.

Maybe Mac also killed the Junior Mean Green Spirit lines that our kids loved to participate in, it's probably just too much trouble? And maybe he killed the traditional post game activity of playing down on the field the kids truly looked forward too after every home game as well? It's possible, I don't know. Regardless, who needs those stupid traditions. We know in our heart of hearts we have all the fans we need.

Rick

May I recommend you add this book to your reading list?

who-moved-my-cheese.jpg

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3

Rick

Here's where I think we can all agree... maybe.

I think no matter what is done, it's tertiary to results on gameday. Win, and they will come.

That is McCarney's job. Ultimately, that is Rick's job.

I love coach McCarney. I love Rick. But I love North Texas more.

You must admit, hiring a social media person is CERTAINLY a step in the right direction, no? It may not cater to you or some of the older folks, but it is certainly relevant to current and prospective students.

Why would someone want to watch practice? I would not.

Its actually very fun--I used to take my little boys out to practices at Fouts. They like watching the guys scrimmage and practice. It is fun to do, especially if you like to see the inner workings of how the team prepares.

Its not a big deal that they closed practices to me, but I certainly enjoyed them when I got to go with my sons. Of course, that was also about once a year on a Saturday in August, too.

Here's where I think we can all agree... maybe.

I think no matter what is done, it's tertiary to results on gameday. Win, and they will come.

That is McCarney's job. Ultimately, that is Rick's job.

I love coach McCarney. I love Rick. But I love North Texas more.

You must admit, hiring a social media person is CERTAINLY a step in the right direction, no? It may not cater to you or some of the older folks, but it is certainly relevant to current and prospective students.

I agree with your point on McCarney's job to build a winner, but RV's tenure as the AD here shows quite clearly that the exact opposite is true. Winning at your money sports hasn't mattered one bit to this university when it has come to measuring RV's worth as our AD. Otherwise, he would have been gone a loooonnnngggg time ago.

• Downvote 1

Unless we have massive hordes of angry people trying to knock down the gates to Apogee, opening practices to the general public ain't going to change a thing. Right now Rick you are the only one to express any interest on boarding the Pequod to go off to slay your white whale.

When have we had massive hordes of people for anything? Why even have a stadium with seats, we can't fill them?

And Im the only one to mention several things here because Im not a drone simply accepting the status quo.

We're going on year three...where is the "Wall Of Honor" and Concierge Service promised to Apogee Club Seat holders? Can our TWO,...count them TWO Asst AD's over concessions make sure the ATM machines work for the opening day this season,...especially when several items, mainly the extremely popular Kettle Korn will have a sign that reads "Cash Only"? Oops, I just mentioned more unmentionables,... And I seem to be all by myself.

Bad Rick!

Mack Brown is on a VERY HOT SEAT in Austin this year...his practices were almost always closed in previous years...lots of the UT faithful want Mack gone...perhaps he is trying to win a few of the grumpier fans over by letting them watch a practice or two. I guess at Tech they don't care because they are letting fans in it seems in the VERY COOL temps that surround late summer in Louisiana with a 3:45 practice time!

Watch closely...if Mack wins big this year and all the "grumpies" re-join the band wagon, we will all see if he returns to closed practices or not. Who knows? We may be witnessing the "new and improved" Mack Brown here....could it be?

But,oh, man... at Tech can people get there at 3:45PM???? They should never start anything earlier than when the folks coming from New Orleans should be able to make it. How dare they...all 25 folks who might have some limited interest in watching a PRACTICE and who are not relatives of the players.

This is a tired old complaint coming from a very few disgruntled folks. If it makes them feel better to knock everything UNT does and try to show how everyone else does it better...which of course they do not...then so be it. Let them have their say. but I thought an entirely different board was created so these folks could just have their own pity party on a regular basis. I guess they get the biggest exposure on GMG.Com.

I really do not see how open practices would have anything to do with increasing the fan base unless it was a "special open practice" with lots of hoopla and very little real work being done by the players and/coaches. More like a promo event. Other than player relatives, who but the "already sold" would want to attend practice sessions? Scrimmages seem to be much more interesting and it seems UNT has had more than a few of those open to the public under Coach Mac. I have been to a few myself. And, the attendance is not great...and everyone I saw there that I knew already had tickets or was a fan, etc. No big gathering of "potential fans" and really...some of those yakking the loudest about open practices were not there when I was either. You know...life happens sometimes, but I am sure it was because they couldn't get to Apogee in time because the scheduled scrimmage time was not convenient for THEM...not the players or coaches or anything like that...but them! One would think those yelling the loudest about open practices would make every one and especially every open scrimmage. Wouldn't you?

Non-interested parties don't come to the games, so what makes anyone think a practice session would get them out? Really? Seriously? And, would it help to increase anyones Mean Green Club level donation? If someone can point to any data showing that "open practices" lead to increased attendance and to increased levels of giving, I would be open to reading them. maybe that data is out there, and it would be good to see if so, but i think those claiming it would help attendance, etc. are just using anecdotal "evidence".

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Non-interested parties don't come to the games, so what makes anyone think a practice session would get them out? Really? Seriously? And, would it help to increase anyones Mean Green Club level donation? If someone can point to any data showing that "open practices" lead to increased attendance and to increased levels of giving, I would be open to reading them. maybe that data is out there, and it would be good to see if so, but i think those claiming it would help attendance, etc. are just using anecdotal "evidence".

Speaking of drones...

I never claimed it would increase attendance. Our attendance is a measure as to why we should use it to market our program.

Second, an open practice is already a perk for one Mean Green Club donation level,....$1000, one that was completely ignored the first year of it's inception, and poorly carried out the second in which a real practice was substituted for what was basically a walk through. But of course, you knew this but did nothing other than clap and grin like you usually do.

But really...seriously...if its already considered a perk for one MGC level, why not for others? I dont know but its a perk, one that has been poorly implemented. If it were ever used correctly and membership did increase you would be the first one here to tell us about it. I'm certain of that.

Rick

• Downvote 3

I've never worked in any business model (from my crappy college jobs to the corporate bigwigs) where people are willing to regularly invest in ventures that have no guarantee of reward.

Let me suggest two scenarios:

1) We make an event out of it, get only 10 people but one of them is the next Kuehne
2) We make an event out of it, get only 10 people and none of them are the next Kuehne.

My position on both of these is the same: it was a stupid business gamble. Result 1 would make me happy but it was out of pure luck. It does not justify this as "the right move" nor a re-evaluation of the business model. Result 2 is the likely result and, though some may be satisfied that we at least tried, the board would likely blow up (again) on our AD for throwing money around.

I don't particularly care one way or the other what we do. Despite horror stories about donors being ignored or shafted by the AD, I choose to believe (for right or wrong) that if you make yourself the elephant in the room...the football staff cannot ignore you forever. If enough people raise their voice about this, they can become that elephant and get their way.

Edited by greenminer

Why would someone want to watch practice? I would not.

During August practice sessions, back in the day, watching Mean Joe Greene go one-on-one with another lineman in blocking drills was a thing to behold. Those were the days when practice was held behind fouts. You could literally be withing 20 feet of the action. Practice sessions are fun, gets me excited about the upcoming season. Wish I lived close to Denton.

And to FirefightnRick's point, why not open them up the fan base? What's the big secret we're hiding? Game week, make them closed sessions, as they prepare for the next opponent..

Edited by DeepGreen

Yup, and to not dissapoint, those who live too far away to even to go games, much less attend a practice, strangley still feel compelled to chime in.

Rick

I've been around for a long time and paid my dues so I'll chime in on any thread I want to, thanks.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 2

During August practice sessions, back in the day, watching Mean Joe Greene go one-on-one with another lineman in blocking drills was a thing to behold. Those were the days when practice was held behind fouts. You could literally be withing 20 feet of the action. Practice sessions are fun, gets me excited about the upcoming season. Wish I lived close to Denton.

And to FirefightnRick's point, why not open them up the fan base? What's the big secret we're hiding? Game week, make them closed sessions, as they prepare for the next opponent..

If you read the first article, UT is only allowing people in for the first week of practice. You know, the time when everyone runs the same types of drills. BFD.

• Upvote 2