So many disconnected alums...

meangreener

I thought the most interesting and funny part was how many alumni do not even know there is a new stajium.......there were a ton of people saying things like "are they going to have this done before the season starts" or "I am sure whatever replaces this will jack up cost" or "why are they tearing down the stajium are they building a new one" or "why is it being demolished"

there are dozens of people that have no clue there is even a new stajium or that Fouts is not still in use....THAT is a disconnect......from the universe :bbq:

no one is scared of the "sleeping giant" and even when north Texas was on their DD roll their big wins were over Baylor and SMU that were at the time two of the worst programs in the history if D1-A football and each was matched with a loss to similar all time horrible teams the next season :mom:

Sorry, I was at the game in Fort Worth and heard their coach say they weren't going to play us again. We should have won, and it would have done wonders for our program locally and hurt their's. Try again.

Another consideration is making a weekday 6:00 event only works for retirees in the county or people who live and work in Denton.

This is true, i signed up for the mean green club this season with the recent grad program and im 26. I wanted to make it but knew their was no way i would get out of work, and fight traffic and get their anywhere close to on time

It's funny that I mentioned something like this to my FB friends when I was borrowing a tablet for a couple of days until I got my new laptop. I pointed out that sometimes technology - especially the kind that makes it hard to type anything coherent - is more of a hindrance than an advancement. Or as I put it, "Who needs literacy when you can simply look at funny pictures of cats and type 'rofl'?"

The comments and "likes" are a symptom of the same tendencies to follow whatever path is easiest. Be they students or alums or just onlookers, it has been simpler for people to follow a Facebook link while playing around than to actually follow up and find the information, be it through a search or actually questioning someone in-the-know. Even in the case of students choosing to ignore their voting rights, Lord forbid they actually log off of Facebook and vote online (I assume we're still doing that) rather than just discuss the vote in which they can't summon the energy to participate.

As to the comments regarding our alums and other areas from which we should have had more support, let's remember that until recently involvement was not promoted, and at times was even opposed, by the administrations past. More than once I had someone who had a history with the University tell me the funny-but-sad truth that most active alums became so long after graduation due to the pressure to "sit down and shut up" laid upon students who tried to be active during their enrollment, which of course discouraged them from future activity post-matriculation.

We've had some ugly truths to face, and now there appear to be people at every level doing something about it. The scars from years past will fade with time and will be replaced with far more interested and spirited students, alumni, and community members who are welcomed rather than pushed away. To some, this will be proven only when we see results in attendance and winning records in our most visible sports. For others, it will be when most of the attention gained from those who are part of our community is in the form of informed and aware members who may at times disagree but in general come together in support of those intangibles which we all stand for. What those intangibles represent differ from person to person but coalesce in the form of what is often termed "spirit".

The spirit of North Texas is getting stronger. Instead of focusing on why previous problems and a few current hiccups might convince you to take your leave, consider instead the value of staying and ensuring that we don't return to any semblance of our previous errors and instead keep moving forward.

Even a unified front can have its differences behind the scenes. What matters is that all those involved come together when it matters.

This is true, i signed up for the mean green club this season with the recent grad program and im 26. I wanted to make it but knew their was no way i would get out of work, and fight traffic and get their anywhere close to on time

I work in downtown Dallas and live in Allen. The weekday complaint is a tired excuse for most, not a reason...no offense. Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

I thought the most interesting and funny part was how many alumni do not even know there is a new stajium.......there were a ton of people saying things like "are they going to have this done before the season starts" or "I am sure whatever replaces this will jack up cost" or "why are they tearing down the stajium are they building a new one" or "why is it being demolished"

there are dozens of people that have no clue there is even a new stajium or that Fouts is not still in use....THAT is a disconnect......from the universe :bbq:

no one is scared of the "sleeping giant" and even when north Texas was on their DD roll their big wins were over Baylor and SMU that were at the time two of the worst programs in the history if D1-A football and each was matched with a loss to similar all time horrible teams the next season :mom:

I distinctly remember telling you to shut your piehole. No more D&D for you.

Seriously though, did a group of North Texas grads pull a train on your wife/sister (same person) to cause such resentment?

• Upvote 1

I work in downtown Dallas and live in Allen. The weekday complaint is a tired excuse for most, not a reason...no offense.

This....when I worked at the Cresent near downtown Dallas, I made events in Denton that started at 6pm. Don't see the big hue and cry.....if one wants to make it, they usually can. Is traffic a challenge...yep. Just part of living in the DFW Metroplx.

• Upvote 1