Idaho Vandal fans talk UNT game...And We Talk Beer

Harry

And hey, John's second establishment, East Side Social Club, will be open by then! Let's whiskey it up!

That place intrigues me. I do wonder how they plan to not cannibalize their own business though if the new joint is going to have all the beer of the first place and then some along with a bunch of whiskey, and probably a LOT more places to sit in the air conditioning. I guess for me it's that I understand they'll be a lot more sports bar like with TVs, dart boards, etc. I've never much been into that stuff. I like chewing the fat with the bartenders and random people walking by while listening to Pandora at OSDH&CP a LOT.

Here's Jim Norton in his Vandal days. I am old enough where my dad took me to Moscow and Jim was playing. I remember his NFL trading card. Wished I had one!!

I'll keep my eyes out for one. Any particular year, manufacturer, or price range?

That place intrigues me. I do wonder how they plan to not cannibalize their own business though if the new joint is going to have all the beer of the first place and then some along with a bunch of whiskey, and probably a LOT more places to sit in the air conditioning. I guess for me it's that I understand they'll be a lot more sports bar like with TVs, dart boards, etc. I've never much been into that stuff. I like chewing the fat with the bartenders and random people walking by while listening to Pandora at OSDH&CP a LOT.

I think you just answered your own query.

Yes, my dad was an Oiler with "Slim Jim" Norton and they remained friends after dad's playing days were over (dad remained friends with Bob Talamini and "Dirty Al" Jamison, names you also might remember from the old Jeppesen stadium days). Jim was a terrific guy and I enjoyed going on fishing trips with he and dad. He spoke beautifully at dad's funeral and it pains me to think of those guys dying away (Norton died in 2007). I can't work up much of a froth against the Idaho Vandals because it was the alma mater of a great guy named Jim Norton.

Plumm, I'm happy to know there are still some codgers around like me that can remember guys like Norton and actually saw games at the The Jep. As long as we live, those dear dead days are not completely gone.

Danbury High School! I actually drove down to Danbury 10-years ago to watch a HS game because they were running the Double Wing formation and I wanted to see how they executed it.

Haynes_Abner5_Texans.jpggeorge-blanda-oilers.jpg

Top of page: #28... former North Texas NCAA Division 1 All American and (then) Dallas Texan's Abner Haynes vs Houston Oilers at Jeppessen Stadium aka "The Rob" for 1962 AFL Championship Game won by the Texans (later to become the KC Chiefs) on a field goal by Tommy Brooker in that game's 2'nd overtime . The late Lamar Hunt called Abner Haynes "the American Football League's first superstar." HARRY: If you can make these 2 pics smaller feel free to do so.

Varsity, whoever your ex Oiler late father was I would probably know his name and his position. I know you

are very proud of him with such a pro football legacy among I'm sure many other reasons. For certain not many get to ever play at that level.

"V"...I was at a Dallas MG Club meeting many years ago and ex North Texas NCAA D1 All American/KC Chief's great Abner Haynes along with our late, great Ron Shanklin were in attendance. I think that MG Club meeting was at Big D's One Main Place as I recall--pretty high cotton sort of digs, too..

As Abner and Ron were sitting on a sofa in the foyer, I walked over & asked Abner if he remembered a particular game at Rice Stadium when he and his KC Chiefs were playing the Oilers; that is, a game which Houston Oiler/Future NFL Hall of Famer QB "Father Time" George Blanda had started. (Of course, Blanda made the NFL-HOF on his field goal kicking talents rather than his QB skills but he was no slouch as a QB, either. Ask Oiler receiver Charlie Hennigan about that, right, Varsity? :)

Anyhow....I mentioned to Abner a very funny incident that took place at Rice Stadium that particular Sunday afternoon and he started laughing as he already knew the story that I was going to repeat to him and Shank'.

This: Oiler QB Blanda had just received a cheap shot by one of the Chiefs and was back in his offensive huddle and then......the next thing many in Rice Stadium (except the refs) would see was George Blanda slowly walking over to the Chief's defensive huddle (of all places) and he proceeded to kick the Chief's cheap shot artist squarely in the butt and then......Blanda slowly (very non-chalantley) walked back to the OIler's huddle and called the next play. Funniest darn thing I've still seen at any level of football.

:)

Oh yes, you mentioned dirty Al Jamison and the great Bob Talamini. Talamini was on a local Houston radio station for a lunch time show and was quite good. Then Houston's version of Darth Vader, ie, owner Bud Adams had him traded to the NY Jets, but at least he was on Broadway Joe's Super Bowl winning team. Question For You...Varsity: How did your dad feel about Oiler's owner Bud Adams? :(

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Do the gomeangreen.com members meet up before home games anywhere?

Many do in smaller groups. We tailgate in various areas around the stadium. You certainly will be welcome in our tailgate area, and we do share food and adult beverages with visiting fans and Mean Green fans alike. And, believe it or not, even those of us who seem to have challenges with each other from time to time on the board actually have a great time together at te games.

Come on out to the tailgate area...some likevEmmitt and UNT 90 Grad and a few others even spend Friday nights in the tailgate area. Am sure thy would welcome you should you show up as early as Friday evening. Just look for the pop-up tents in the Apogee parking lots.

I believe I have heard that Blanda story before, but I always thought it was a legend. Glad to know that it was TRUE! Dad always said that for every TD pass Blanda threw he threw two interceptions. I got a Blanda story for you from my dad I'll relate another time that involves Hoyle Granger (you remember ole GRAWN-jay, don't you?)

Dad thought very little of Bud -- very little. He and his teammates referred to him as "Sitting Bull's Revenge." Here's how crappy Bud was: After the Oilers won the 1960 AFL title, he promised them championship rings. He finally delivered 25 years later (some of the guys were dead by then) and when he presented them with their rings he said, "I shoulda done this 25 years ago, I'd have saved a bundle!" What an ASS!

Plumm, did you ever read the dirty novel Charley Hennigan wrote in the mid-1960s?

Stadium looks awesome. Tailgating all over. Yeah. Can't wait. Do you tailgate near the wind mills? Maybe power them up and get the air circulating?

Ooh, well. That's another thing about Denton, and especially within Apogee -- it's always windy. Always. Good luck to your kickers.

Source: http://northernpower.kiosk-view.com/unt?__hstc=167814078.ee680f3d7d4912f4e898127450c3f49d.1367695816092.1376411115898.1376462413796.24&__hssc=167814078.1.1376462413796

Edited by Christopher Walker

Yes, my dad was an Oiler with "Slim Jim" Norton and they remained friends after dad's playing days were over (dad remained friends with Bob Talamini and "Dirty Al" Jamison, names you also might remember from the old Jeppesen stadium days). Jim was a terrific guy and I enjoyed going on fishing trips with he and dad. He spoke beautifully at dad's funeral and it pains me to think of those guys dying away (Norton died in 2007). I can't work up much of a froth against the Idaho Vandals because it was the alma mater of a great guy named Jim Norton.

Plumm, I'm happy to know there are still some codgers around like me that can remember guys like Norton and actually saw games at the The Jep. As long as we live, those dear dead days are not completely gone.

Danbury High School! I actually drove down to Danbury 10-years ago to watch a HS game because they were running the Double Wing formation and I wanted to see how they executed it.

I got to meet Mr. Talimini when I worked with his sons Bob and Tony in Houston. Great family. Remember shaking his hand and it just swallowed mine.

Edited by UNTLifer

Yea, you don't want to go anywhere near the turbines. The ground below them is littered with dead birds.

BBQ 'em up. I will bring the spuds. Ok, we have humidity, heat, wind, deadly turbines, dead birds, a visitors' section facing the setting sun. What the hey? I will be walking the campus on Friday. Looking forward to it. #1 small city, should be fun.

• Upvote 2

BBQ 'em up. I will bring the spuds. Ok, we have humidity, heat, wind, deadly turbines, dead birds, a visitors' section facing the setting sun. What the hey? I will be walking the campus on Friday. Looking forward to it. #1 small city, should be fun.

Let me know if you get lost on campus or need a tour.

Worse comes to worse ill give you my faculty email address and help you out if I can. I will tell you that the campus is larger than most anticipate and parking, even on a Friday kinda sucks. The parking garages are $10 a day and tend to be the best bet if you want to explore campus. Unfortunately there is major construction happening on several parts of campus, so it might be better to just be prepared to use the garage and hoof it around campus.

Walk the campus, but don't miss the downtown square and areas adjacent. Good food, drink, shops, etc...