North Texas 2013 Preview -- USA Today

Harry

North Texas has its new stadium, which is lovely, and a new home in Conference USA, a decided upgrade over the Sun Belt Conference. Now that these factors are settled, what UNT needs desperately is its Seneca Wallace.

You remember Wallace if not from his turn at Iowa State, at least from his near-decade as a do-everything skill player in the NFL. It was Wallace who gave coach Dan McCarney's team that extra jolt in the early 2000s, lending a well-coached team the sort of limitless, ankle-breaking talent it needed to finally get over the hump against its Big 12 bullies.

More than a decade later, McCarney is searching for a Wallace in Denton. North Texas is technically sound, more often than not; what's missing is some greased lightning, and the dearth of playmakers is again a concern as the Mean Green prepare for a raised level of competition in Conference USA.

LAST YEAR'S PREDICTION

Now, consider two big-picture factors. The first: North Texas is certainly getting better under McCarney, but it's too soon to think of this team as bowl-worthy, or as a Sun Belt leader. This team's goal should be further improvement while the program as a whole prepares for the upcoming conference swap. Secondly: Arkansas State despite the coaching change Louisiana-Lafayette, Florida International and Western Kentucky are farther along in the process. UNT doesn't quite match up with that group both in personnel and scheme meaning the Mean Green aren't as well-versed in this new system as those conference rivals are in theirs. While it would be nice for North Texas to end its Sun Belt run atop the league, I doubt that comes to pass.

2012 RECAP

In a nutshell: North Texas had only one win of consequence, a 30-23 victory over Louisiana-Lafayette on national television, and can only make a case for two wins that got away, a 14-7 defeat to Troy and a 25-24 decision to Western Kentucky in the season finale. It was a bit of a bore, this team, with so little explosiveness and such little flavor, and the Mean Green need a spark before taking the field against Idaho to begin the 2013 season. The Mean Green also could use an offense: UNT finished 105th nationally in scoring, primarily as a result of a weak passing game. Defense would also help: UNT has improved, especially since the Todd Dodge days, but there's a tremendous amount of room for further progression.

High point: The win over Louisiana-Lafayette. The Mean Green outlasted Mark Hudspeth's Ragin' Cajuns, pulling away late in a game televised nationally by ESPN.

Low point: The close losses hurt, but UNT was often on the sour end of a double-digit defeat. Six losses came by two or more touchdowns: LSU (41-14), Kansas State (35-21), Houston (44-21), Middle Tennessee State (38-21), Arkansas State (37-19) and Louisiana-Monroe (42-16).

Read more: http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2322131

You will not win either game with a QB who has not played in a real game in 3 years, and even that was at a preppy HS in CO, a state not known for the best in HS football. BB could be a factor in 2014, but 2013 should be a year to learn (that is if he stays around, as he seems prone to move from place to place often; also may have some character issues since previuosly charged w/ assault but acquitted---where there is smoke there is usually some fire). I'll take a three year starter and two year captain over the huge gamble that BB would be in 2013.

Edited by DallasGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

You will not win either game with a QB who has not played in a real game in 3 years, and even that was at a preppy HS in CO, a state not known for the best in HS football. BB could be a factor in 2014, but 2013 should be a year to learn (that is if he stays around, as he seems prone to move from place to place often; also may have some character issues since previuosly charged w/ assault but acquitted---where their is smoke there is usually some fire). I'll take a three year starter and two year captain over the huge gamble that BB would be in 2013.

Yeah, let's just stand pat with a qb who led us to the 105th ranked scoring offense in the country and who our coaches don't trust to throw the ball.

I'm not saying Berglund should start that Idaho game, but I just can't get excited about another season of DT. Mainly because he hasn't improved and the coaches trust in him hasn't improved and possibly declined by the end of the year (WKU game). That's a huge deal IMO and I just don't see how we can improve this year with DT.

I would say prove me wrong DT, but I have to see the coaches give him a chance to do so first.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Oh no he didn't just go there!

In all seriousness, I think our best chance at 6 wins is the run-pass option of Berglund. Both Mac and Canales have had their best successes with that type of QB (Wallace for Mac and Daniels/Riley Dodge for Canales).

I just don't see DT being able to give enough in the run or passing game to make us less predictable. If DT is the starter again (which seems likely), I hope the staff let's him throw the ball around more. Rewatching some of our FAU highlight, he had a couple of nice deep passes to Brelen in single coverage in that game. With teams stacking against the run, those type of passes are essential.

If DT starts, I see 4-5 wins. If BB starts, I see that as a minimum. I would rather go 4-8 with BB than 5-7 with DT. At least that way you have groomed a new two-year starter with your losing season.

This. Spot on.
  • Upvote 2

You will not win either game with a QB who has not played in a real game in 3 years, and even that was at a preppy HS in CO, a state not known for the best in HS football. BB could be a factor in 2014, but 2013 should be a year to learn (that is if he stays around, as he seems prone to move from place to place often; also may have some character issues since previuosly charged w/ assault but acquitted---where there is smoke there is usually some fire). I'll take a three year starter and two year captain over the huge gamble that BB would be in 2013.

Does DT have an internet-literate kid brother? 'Cause this sucking up/diss on competition is getting ridiculous.

What makes it worst is that you seem to be basing your opinion on tabloid-headlines and never get into the whole story of things. Reading your remarks is akin to watching CNN, Fox News or MSNBC. Yikes.

I know you want to make Berglund being from a private school in Colorado his defining factor, but when it comes to resources that actually come highly regarded, this list is all I need. Plus, watching him play briefly at the Spring Game was the only thing that even offered me a glimmer of excitement towards this season personnel-wise. The boy's electric.

character issues or not he just does not seem to make very good decisions in life

http://milehighsports.com/2012/09/27/mhsm-exclusive-the-story-of-brock-berglund-2/

reading the above story which is him telling his side of things it really just comes off as BS

bad decision #1 he switches from CU to KU to "crack the depth chart"

he graduates early in Dec so one would think he can concentrate on football

then a few months later in April after breaking up with his girl friend a few days earlier he is back in his old town for a "house party" (why don't they call then just parties any more when did they become house parties) and just happens to run into his EX.....and oh yea of course "she was not suppose to be there" and he is "surprised" and it was her that wanted to talk even though she was there with someone else....and yes unfortunately in todays society girls tend to do stupid things, but instead of THINKING "I am a freaking college QB on a Big 12 D1-A team and I graduated early to get away from this high school drama BS" (IF his side of the story is even close to factual and that is a big if) he instead agrees to talk to her

so stupid decisions by the boat load already

he ends up in a fight with the guy she is there with and he gets hung with a freaking FELONY...so yea either a whole lot of people at the "house party" that his ex and her companion were at did not like BB and told the cops a whole lot of stuff about what he did or his ex and the guy she was with have a whole lot of pull with the cops in that area and the cops in that area can't stand him because I don't see a whole lot of people getting charged with freaking felonies for defending themselves against a 5-8 drunk guy...I mean really this crazy girl that is not suppose to be at the party and her drunken companion that is not suppose to be there just somehow either got everyone at the party on their side or the cops ignored the fact she was all crazy and her companion was all drunk and they were not suppose to be there anyway and hung Brock with the felony charge.....seems Brock is really good at making friends

so he spends the next 9 months going back and forth to Colorado 40+ freaking times because he is still hung with a 3rd degree assault that the STATE is going after after their own investigation.....pro tip here.....HIRE A BETTER LAWYER I mean damn.....who needs to go to court that many times for just "shoving a guy" that was not suppose to be at a party that got in your face all drunk when you were just having a "talk talk" with your Ex in the kitchen......either someone that is full of BS or someone that has a lot of people that don't like him....or both

so far the whole going to KU vs CU thing to get a starting spot and leaving HS early to get a jump on winning that spot is really not going so well....KU switches coaches.....fat charlie front butt tells him that he will not have a chance to be a starter according to Brock.....which really I think charlie front butt is kind of an idiot, but would it really be surprising to a guy that has spend the last 9 months in online courses, being a distraction to the team, going back and forth to Colorado to deal with his high school legacy crap and overall already showing the new coach that he does not make the best decisions that hey you are not going to get a chance to start until you prove you can even be around for practice and not make an idiot of yourself again at some house party

so instead of realizing that he really has something to prove to EVERYONE especially a new coach that has a lot to prove himself after running a program like Notre Dame into the ground and somehow getting another chance Brock decides to transfer...and of course there are two sides because that is what you get when you deal with people that don't make wise decisions....he has said all along "he is a Jayhawk" but of course fat charlie front butt "knew he wanted to transfer"

and again I am not a fan of charlie front butt and I think he could easily make vengeful decisions himself, but instead of just letting a guy go that he told was going to be a back up and that he knew wanted to transfer he decided to start dragging him through the mud and refusing the transfer.....again I think that charlie can make stupid decisions, but is that REALLY how you want to get rolling with all that kind of crap and drama....and either way chalk up another case of "Brock making friends" because yea people are just out to get poor Brock

then he has to go to court to get released.....manages to win (hey finally making friends) and then when Ole' Miss calls and he is all "happy cited" and then KU sends Ole' Miss an email saying he is two credit hours short and can't transfer......I mean REALLY......you fight a court case for 9 freaking months going back and forth home 40+ times......you take all these online courses and have this great GPA.......you have this team of lawyers ready to get you off of major charges and ready to get you released from a scholarship.....and your too dumb to make sure you have everything in a row to actually be able to transfer.....again this sounds an awful lot like a guy that just needs to get it together and start making better decisions UP FRONT before having to go to the legal team....really already it sounds like a guy that feels he is entitled and has his head in his ass and a bunch of his parents cash to spend to get him out of his stupid decisions

so he calls the adviser he had a great relationship with and an hour later she calls back and basically gives him the Heisman right to the face and says she can't deal with him anymore....once again making friends!!...and his own words tells her to shove the phone up her ass.....way to keep it classy there Brock because yea the adviser is really the one that makes the decisions to not deal with you any longer after you freaking SUED the university....sounds like a real level headed guy to me that easily handles adversity...and of course it is all the advisers fault because they are suppose to know that you are being set up to look to transfer so instead of just taking classes while you are flying back home 40+ times to deal with high school drama they are suppose to run your academic life for you and think it all through for you in case you want to transfer.....because that is really the job of an academic adviser to make sure that you as a QB getting a free ride while doing pretty much nothing but bringing drama to the team needs someone to make sure they have all their ducks in a row if they decide to cut and run yet again

so then he decides on the community college route....heads to AZ.....they have a lot of QBs competing for the position....and suddenly "something" does not work out and here he is at north Texas

and even better is the guy he did not stick around to back up at KU has now left KU and he is going to CU because the guy that managed to make the cut at CU is leaving because he will have to compete for the job and did not want to.....so yea about that decision to not go to CU....

and lastly instead of concentrating on actually playing football he is now dealing again with the NCAA trying to weasel some additional playing time because apparently he thinks that pissing away one season dealing with your high school drama (and eventually taking a red shirt) and then pissing away another year with transfer drama makes him eligible for some type of needed ruling from the NCAA to say how many years he has left

really just comes off as a very unstable person that looks to walk in and get something instead of stepping up and earning it and he really needs to get over the whole "my legal team is coming for you thing" and instead step up and actually concentrate on football and perhaps trying to actually beat someone out of a job on the football field instead of beating something in court

all of those issues are not specifically tied together, but some people just make their own bad luck based on stupid decisions and based on very short term thinking and Brock seems to be one of those people and he seems to not get people on his side very easily other than those here on GMG that wish miracles from a guy that has only shown instability and poor decision making and lack of ability to look at the long term consequences of a whole series of bad decisions he has made much less step up and take responsibility or share blame for any of them

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7837324/quarterback-brock-berglund-weighs-options-release-university-kansas

and the above shows just more double talk.....he is carefully weighing his options and making this big business decision (apparently not too well)

he says he is looking at Liberty as the only D1-AA school because of his relationship with Turner Gill.....but in the next paragraph he talks about how he better understands how to choose a program and he won't be wowed by weight rooms or a campus

so which is it did you like Coach Gill and that is why you went to KU or were you wowed by the weight room and campus and it was all a mistake.....that you apparently did not learn much from because you were in and out of AZ before you took a snap or a class...so much for that wise business decision.....and that ESPN article further clarifies the "imma git my lawyer!!!" attitude he has....I guess that all did not go so well trying to get out of being enrolled at KU on a technicality....but hey it is only cash on lawyers and time wasted thinking about how to get out from being responsible for any decisions you make huh....better luck next time!

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

character issues or not he just does not seem to make very good decisions in life

http://milehighsports.com/2012/09/27/mhsm-exclusive-the-story-of-brock-berglund-2/

reading the above story which is him telling his side of things it really just comes off as BS

then a few months later in April after breaking up with his girl friend a few days earlier he is back in his old town for a "house party" (why don't they call then just parties any more when did they become house parties) and just happens to run into his EX.....and oh yea of course "she was not suppose to be there" and he is "surprised" and it was her that wanted to talk even though she was there with someone else....and yes unfortunately in todays society girls tend to do stupid things, but instead of THINKING "I am a freaking college QB on a Big 12 D1-A team and I graduated early to get away from this high school drama BS" (IF his side of the story is even close to factual and that is a big if) he instead agrees to talk to her

he ends up in a fight with the guy she is there with and he gets hung with a freaking FELONY...so yea either a whole lot of people at the "house party" that his ex and her companion were at did not like BB and told the cops a whole lot of stuff about what he did or his ex and the guy she was with have a whole lot of pull with the cops in that area and the cops in that area can't stand him because I don't see a whole lot of people getting charged with freaking felonies for defending themselves against a 5-8 drunk guy...I mean really this crazy girl that is not suppose to be at the party and her drunken companion that is not suppose to be there just somehow either got everyone at the party on their side or the cops ignored the fact she was all crazy and her companion was all drunk and they were not suppose to be there anyway and hung Brock with the felony charge.....seems Brock is really good at making friends

so he spends the next 9 months going back and forth to Colorado 40+ freaking times because he is still hung with a 3rd degree assault that the STATE is going after after their own investigation.....pro tip here.....HIRE A BETTER LAWYER I mean damn.....who needs to go to court that many times for just "shoving a guy" that was not suppose to be at a party that got in your face all drunk when you were just having a "talk talk" with your Ex in the kitchen......either someone that is full of BS or someone that has a lot of people that don't like him....or both

so far the whole going to KU vs CU thing to get a starting spot and leaving HS early to get a jump on winning that spot is really not going so well....KU switches coaches.....fat charlie front butt tells him that he will not have a chance to be a starter according to Brock.....which really I think charlie front butt is kind of an idiot, but would it really be surprising to a guy that has spend the last 9 months in online courses, being a distraction to the team, going back and forth to Colorado to deal with his high school legacy crap and overall already showing the new coach that he does not make the best decisions that hey you are not going to get a chance to start until you prove you can even be around for practice and not make an idiot of yourself again at some house party

so instead of realizing that he really has something to prove to EVERYONE especially a new coach that has a lot to prove himself after running a program like Notre Dame into the ground and somehow getting another chance Brock decides to transfer...and of course there are two sides because that is what you get when you deal with people that don't make wise decisions....he has said all along "he is a Jayhawk" but of course fat charlie front butt "knew he wanted to transfer"

and again I am not a fan of charlie front butt and I think he could easily make vengeful decisions himself, but instead of just letting a guy go that he told was going to be a back up and that he knew wanted to transfer he decided to start dragging him through the mud and refusing the transfer.....again I think that charlie can make stupid decisions, but is that REALLY how you want to get rolling with all that kind of crap and drama....and either way chalk up another case of "Brock making friends" because yea people are just out to get poor Brock

then he has to go to court to get released.....manages to win (hey finally making friends) and then when Ole' Miss calls and he is all "happy cited" and then KU sends Ole' Miss an email saying he is two credit hours short and can't transfer......I mean REALLY......you fight a court case for 9 freaking months going back and forth home 40+ times......you take all these online courses and have this great GPA.......you have this team of lawyers ready to get you off of major charges and ready to get you released from a scholarship.....and your too dumb to make sure you have everything in a row to actually be able to transfer.....again this sounds an awful lot like a guy that just needs to get it together and start making better decisions UP FRONT before having to go to the legal team....really already it sounds like a guy that feels he is entitled and has his head in his ass and a bunch of his parents cash to spend to get him out of his stupid decisions

so he calls the adviser he had a great relationship with and an hour later she calls back and basically gives him the Heisman right to the face and says she can't deal with him anymore....once again making friends!!...and his own words tells her to shove the phone up her ass.....way to keep it classy there Brock because yea the adviser is really the one that makes the decisions to not deal with you any longer after you freaking SUED the university....sounds like a real level headed guy to me that easily handles adversity...and of course it is all the advisers fault because they are suppose to know that you are being set up to look to transfer so instead of just taking classes while you are flying back home 40+ times to deal with high school drama they are suppose to run your academic life for you and think it all through for you in case you want to transfer.....because that is really the job of an academic adviser to make sure that you as a QB getting a free ride while doing pretty much nothing but bringing drama to the team needs someone to make sure they have all their ducks in a row if they decide to cut and run yet again

so then he decides on the community college route....heads to AZ.....they have a lot of QBs competing for the position....and suddenly "something" does not work out and here he is at north Texas

and even better is the guy he did not stick around to back up at KU has now left KU and he is going to CU because the guy that managed to make the cut at CU is leaving because he will have to compete for the job and did not want to.....so yea about that decision to not go to CU....

and lastly instead of concentrating on actually playing football he is now dealing again with the NCAA trying to weasel some additional playing time because apparently he thinks that pissing away one season dealing with your high school drama (and eventually taking a red shirt) and then pissing away another year with transfer drama makes him eligible for some type of needed ruling from the NCAA to say how many years he has left

really just comes off as a very unstable person that looks to walk in and get something instead of stepping up and earning it and he really needs to get over the whole "my legal team is coming for you thing" and instead step up and actually concentrate on football and perhaps trying to actually beat someone out of a job on the football field instead of beating something in court

all of those issues are not specifically tied together, but some people just make their own bad luck based on stupid decisions and based on very short term thinking and Brock seems to be one of those people and he seems to not get people on his side very easily other than those here on GMG that wish miracles from a guy that has only shown instability and poor decision making and lack of ability to look at the long term consequences of a whole series of bad decisions he has made much less step up and take responsibility or share blame for any of them

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7837324/quarterback-brock-berglund-weighs-options-release-university-kansas

and the above shows just more double talk.....he is carefully weighing his options and making this big business decision (apparently not too well)

he says he is looking at Liberty as the only D1-AA school because of his relationship with Turner Gill.....but in the next paragraph he talks about how he better understands how to choose a program and he won't be wowed by weight rooms or a campus

so which is it did you like Coach Gill and that is why you went to KU or were you wowed by the weight room and campus and it was all a mistake.....that you apparently did not learn much from because you were in and out of AZ before you took a snap or a class...so much for that wise business decision.....and that ESPN article further clarifies the "imma git my lawyer!!!" attitude he has....I guess that all did not go so well trying to get out of being enrolled at KU on a technicality....but hey it is only cash on lawyers and time wasted thinking about how to get out from being responsible for any decisions you make huh....better luck next time!

Ever heard the saying "long story short..."?

You are obessive.

GL2G makes an interesting point. GMG is putting a lot of hope into a guy with a fairly checkered past, who hasn't taken a gametime snap in almost 3 years. The staff has DT entrenched as a starter for a reason.

And before somebody brings up Pachall, not only is he a proven qb plus a 1st round FL prospect, but we were successful with Boykin under center last year AND we all know UNT would KILL to have either one of them in Denton. Especially Pachall (who I'm almost certain a lot of you would predict no less than 9-3 if that were the case.)

Edited by FroggyStyle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

GL2G makes an interesting point. GMG is putting a lot of hope into a guy with a fairly checkered past, who hasn't taken a gametime snap in almost 3 years. The staff has DT entrenched as a starter for a reason.

And before somebody brings up Pachall, not only is he a proven qb plus a 1st round FL prospect, but we were successful with Boykin under center last year AND we all know UNT would KILL to have either one of them in Denton. Especially Pachall (who I'm almost certain a lot of you would predict no less than 9-3 if that were the case.)

Wait, you read that long ass post?! :blink:

• Upvote 1

"This offense won't go anywhere – and, by extension, UNT won't go anywhere – until it can find greater explosiveness in the passing game. Some of this fault lies on the back of quarterback play; more blame can be shared with an underwhelming and pedestrian receiver corps, one that put together only three receptions of 50 or more yards in 2012."

Gee, I wonder where this point has been made before? :whistling1:

"UNT has some major problems along the defensive line...Without Abbe, the Mean Green will be quick inside with Ryan Boutwell, Alexander Lincoln and Austin Orr but not nearly strong enough to win the battle at the point of attack. That is an absolutely enormous concern. As is the pass rush...Depth woes led UNT to transition backup linebacker Chad Polk down to the position (DE)."

Also sounds familiar.

Look...lather yourselves up all you want about the QB, but unless another playmaker or two emerge in the passing game and the defensive line can play, the season will be in the crapper quicker that you can say, "Well, there goes another season down the crapper."

While the rest of you are fapping to the Derek Thompson/Brock Berglund debate, the success of the team will, in reality, hinge on the play of those lining up with Brelan Chancellor and alongside Aaron Bellezin and Brandon McCoy.

[Fake Billy Tubbs Voice]Rock me.[/Fake Billy Tubbs Voice]

• Upvote 2

I agree with you TFLF, but we didn't throw downfield very much last year. This goes back to the whole "the coaches don't trust Thompson" argument. They just don't let him air it out deep very much.

Whoever the qb is, the coaches have to open up the offense this year. We have a good receiving corp this year with chancellor and Darnell smith each establishing some big play potential already, as well as Harris and Terrell. I also think Darvin Kidsy has the speed and route running ability to contribute from Day 1.

As for defense, yup. The line play will be huge this year, but we've got some worthy bodies out there, even without Abbe.

• Upvote 1

Probably the best write-up I've seen on our team so far (USA Today may be huge, but they often aren't this detailed). As to everyone's debates, it's the gestalt of the team that is necessary. A complete breakdown in any area will cause us to crash and burn, a la Lonnie's post. They have to gel, at least a bit. If they do, we go bowling. If they don't, we may be wondering if our incoming head coach is crap for the next 5 years.

• Upvote 1