Signing Day 2, the sequel

UNT90

Would have been nice to get one, just one signing today.

Oh well

Does anyone know the last time we had this many empty scholarships after both spring and fall signing day?

Really don't care whether or not they sign on the first day; just want them to be good players and hopefully leaders.

I don't think I follow what you mean. Why do you always beat around he bush so much. It would be easier if you just spoke your mind.

Ya, that's me. I beat around the bush.

I don't know how long its been. I know it hasn't been in the past 4 years. So, my honest question to those who may know (that's you, Tasty): how long has it been since we had 4 open 'Ships after the 2 signing days?

If it has been a long time, I think this is a bad omen for the quality of the players we sign.

Got it?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

I wanna say several of the guys in the signing class we had after our 2007 Tourney Championship came in late. That class included Adam McCoy (and the one McCoy that ended up at UTA after signing with us), White, Thompson, & Odufuwa. I actually think I may be missing someone else too.

I seem to remember guys tricklng in over a period of 2 weeks.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

So, my honest question to those who may know (that's you, Tasty): how long has it been since we had 4 open 'Ships after the 2 signing days?

Not in 2007. Late signing period started on April 11th in 2007.

3 seniors graduated in 2007: Calvin Watson, Rich Young, and Kendrick Davis.

3 transfers that year:

Harold Edwards (April 11th)

Michael Sturns (May 19th)

Jonathan Jackson (May 21st)

Signees:

Ryan McCoy (April 11th, announced ineligible August 10th)

Adam McCoy (April 25th)

Tristan Thompson (April 28th)

Josh White (May 15th)

George Odufuwa (May 24th)

Kedrick Hogans (August 17th)

Dez Willingham (August 23rd)

So, at the end of the day on the first day of signing period in 2007, we had 3 open ships remaining (3 seniors + Edwards meant 4 open, Ryan McCoy signing left 3 open)

2 ships open after April 25th (Adam McCoy signs)

1 open after April 28th (Tristan Thompson signs)

Full on May 15th (Josh White signs)

1 open on May 19th (Sturns leaves)

2 open on May 21st (Jackson leaves)

1 open on May 24th (George Odufuwa transfers)

2 open on August 10th (Ryan McCoy declared ineligible)

1 open on August 17th (Kedrick Hogans signs)

Full on August 23rd (Dez Willingham transfers)

---------------------------------

I think the last time we had 4 open scholarships after the first day of late signing period was 2003. Not sure about that one, but if it happened, I'm pretty sure that's the most recent it could have been.

It also bears noting that when we added 6 new guys in 2007, we had Wooden, Quincy Williams, and Harold Stewart (and Howerton) in the paint, and Ben Bell and Colin Dennis at the 1 and 2 guard positions. Mangrum was returning as a sophomore, but we announced in October that he would be redshirting due to his surgeries. Basically, we needed one starter out of the group of Josh, Tristan, McCoy, and Dez Willingham.

This year, we have Coleman returning (?) and two high school signees that play power forward. One apparently barely played due to injuries, and the other was a backup on his high school team. HOPEFULLY, we've yet to add whoever our starting posts will be to the roster.

Not in 2007. Late signing period started on April 11th in 2007.

3 seniors graduated in 2007: Calvin Watson, Rich Young, and Kendrick Davis.

3 transfers that year:

Harold Edwards (April 11th)

Michael Sturns (May 19th)

Jonathan Jackson (May 21st)

Signees:

Ryan McCoy (April 11th, announced ineligible August 10th)

Adam McCoy (April 25th)

Tristan Thompson (April 28th)

Josh White (May 15th)

George Odufuwa (May 24th)

Kedrick Hogans (August 17th)

Dez Willingham (August 23rd)

So, at the end of the day on the first day of signing period in 2007, we had 3 open ships remaining (3 seniors + Edwards meant 4 open, Ryan McCoy signing left 3 open)

2 ships open after April 25th (Adam McCoy signs)

1 open after April 28th (Tristan Thompson signs)

Full on May 15th (Josh White signs)

1 open on May 19th (Sturns leaves)

2 open on May 21st (Jackson leaves)

1 open on May 24th (George Odufuwa transfers)

2 open on August 10th (Ryan McCoy declared ineligible)

1 open on August 17th (Kedrick Hogans signs)

Full on August 23rd (Dez Willingham transfers)

---------------------------------

I think the last time we had 4 open scholarships after the first day of late signing period was 2003. Not sure about that one, but if it happened, I'm pretty sure that's the most recent it could have been.

It also bears noting that when we added 6 new guys in 2007, we had Wooden, Quincy Williams, and Harold Stewart (and Howerton) in the paint, and Ben Bell and Colin Dennis at the 1 and 2 guard positions. Mangrum was returning as a sophomore, but we announced in October that he would be redshirting due to his surgeries. Basically, we needed one starter out of the group of Josh, Tristan, McCoy, and Dez Willingham.

This year, we have Coleman returning (?) and two high school signees that play power forward. One apparently barely played due to injuries, and the other was a backup on his high school team. HOPEFULLY, we've yet to add whoever our starting posts will be to the roster.

Believe it or not, this actually makes me feel a tad bit better about this situation. Benford is going to have to REALLY hustle to even field a competitive team next year, though.

Thanks, Tasty.