Anyone notice how many seniors are in the two-deep?

Harry

I was looking through the UNT football spring depth chart shortly after it was released and noticed something.

Has anyone stopped to consider how many seniors will probably be playing key roles this year?

Heading into the 2012 season, the talk was about how few seniors UNT would have to replace in 2013. Tight end Andrew Power was a pretty big loss as were defensive end K.C. Obi, wide receiver Ivan Delgado and to a certain extent linebacker Jeremy Phillips.

I haven’t had a chance to point it out until now, but there are a ton of vital seniors on this season’s team, which is good from an experience standpoint, bad when you think about replacing some of them.

Linebacker Zach Orr might be the best player on the roster and is a senior. So is right tackle LaChris Anyiam and defensive end Brandon McCoy, but it doesn’t stop there.

Here are some of the 0ther seniors this year who should play key roles:

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/04/monday-afternoon-thoughts-anyone-notice-how-many-seniors-are-in-the-two-deep.html/

What excuse? I think Vito is just pointing out the number of senior on the two-deep, which we haven't had in a while. I think it is a good sign that they are finally filling in our two deep instead of relying on players that may not be quite ready to contribute.

• Upvote 1

What excuse? I think Vito is just pointing out the number of senior on the two-deep, which we haven't had in a while. I think it is a good sign that they are finally filling in our two deep instead of relying on players that may not be quite ready to contribute.

Which means we should win this year.

Unless we don't, and then we just say its Dodge's player's fault and excuse the coaching staff.

Round and round we go.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Sigh........Debbie Downer strikes again !

In all due respect, a lot of folks have said something to the effect of "wait til McCarney gets his players" etc. And that has been the excuse the past two years, not only here on this board, but in other circles as well. Also, if so many seniors are going to contribute, what about the talent level of all the redshirts last year that Mac couldn't stop talking about? You know, it was just wait until these redshirts can play. So is 2014 the debutante ball for Mac's team?

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The deal is, Mac can go 2-10 and never have to fear for his job. We don't fire coaches until they have served at least 4 of their 5 year contract.

It's the way athetic business is done at UNT.

Of course I hope Mac wins10 games and the CUSA championship game at home. But if the opposite happens, the excuse makers will be out in full force for Danny Mac.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

the cupboard was bare was the mantra the last 2 years as many tore down the players now those same players are really filling out the 2-deep? If the cupboard was so bare then the 2 Deep should be full of Mac's players meaning JR and younger (RS-So, RS-Fr). Maybe Mac is no different than Dodge other than he has more Asst Coach National Titles.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

the cupboard was bare was the mantra the last 2 years as many tore down the players now those same players are really filling out the 2-deep? If the cupboard was so bare then the 2 Deep should be full of Mac's players meaning JR and younger (RS-So, RS-Fr). Maybe Mac is no different than Dodge other than he has more Asst Coach National Titles.

I think the point is that when Dodge left there were very few upperclassmen due to his reliance on the JUCO's in his last years. Mac's recruits that are in the two-deep or are getting a lot of attention/playing time currently or last season are all over the place. Some that come to mind are Akunne, Berglund, Jimmerson, Harris, Kirby, Busby, Lewis, Lemon, Lee, Pegram, Terrell, Warner, Whitfield, Polk, Evans, Trice, and Brown until his injury. Dodge definitely hit on Y'Barbo, Bellazin, Chancellor, maybe Byrd, Orr, Johnson, etc... but they were all very young when Mac arrived.

Please tell me you are kidding on the sentence I placed in bold.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

Actually it really isn't about what is or isn't likely/true. It is about the fact that a poster that actually can provide good commentary on sports has become such a broken record on this issue. Almost every thread has something from 90 on why our AD sucks. We get it. You dislike how the AD runs things. You dislike the low expectations of the few fans left. I get it. We all get it. I am pretty sure CheckFacts,Cougarking, and the Froggy dude have more positive postings about UNT these days that UNT90. It has pretty much reached troll status.

The blog piece was about the need for the seniors to step up and lead the team to more wins this year and that some will be tough to replace. It decended into a UNT sucks thread. That was my objection to the derailment. It seems we have so few football related threads anyway and when we do they too often turn into a bash UNT, bash RV, bash the AD, bash Mac, bash other fans thread. Really tired of it.

I know you and 90 and many others are tired of losing, tired of low expectations, tired of mistakes by the AD. I understand. I get it. I even share many of the same concerns. But it would be really great to actually discuss football and position battles and such in threads about football.

Actually, most of my post have blasted the UNT administration for not giving a crap about athletics (outside of football scheduling, which is soley on the AD). I feel a little sorry for the AD, because it must be tough working under conditions where meeting the budget ALWAYS comes before winning. I don't know, maybe that makes working in the AD easier.

But this is a university administration problem and has been for years. Goes far deeper than the AD,

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Actually it really isn't about what is or isn't likely/true. It is about the fact that a poster that actually can provide good commentary on sports has become such a broken record on this issue. Almost every thread has something from 90 on why our AD sucks. We get it. You dislike how the AD runs things. You dislike the low expectations of the few fans left. I get it. We all get it. I am pretty sure CheckFacts,Cougarking, and the Froggy dude have more positive postings about UNT these days that UNT90. It has pretty much reached troll status.

The blog piece was about the need for the seniors to step up and lead the team to more wins this year and that some will be tough to replace. It decended into a UNT sucks thread. That was my objection to the derailment. It seems we have so few football related threads anyway and when we do they too often turn into a bash UNT, bash RV, bash the AD, bash Mac, bash other fans thread. Really tired of it.

I know you and 90 and many others are tired of losing, tired of low expectations, tired of mistakes by the AD. I understand. I get it. I even share many of the same concerns. But it would be really great to actually discuss football and position battles and such in threads about football.

Get your head out of the sand.

• Upvote 1

Amen

• Upvote 2

Actually it really isn't about what is or isn't likely/true. It is about the fact that a poster that actually can provide good commentary on sports has become such a broken record on this issue. It has pretty much reached troll status.

I may be paraphrasing instead of quoting, but...

So... We still suck?

I think the point is that when Dodge left there were very few upperclassmen due to his reliance on the JUCO's in his last years. Mac's recruits that are in the two-deep or are getting a lot of attention/playing time currently or last season are all over the place. Some that come to mind are Akunne, Berglund, Jimmerson, Harris, Kirby, Busby, Lewis, Lemon, Lee, Pegram, Terrell, Warner, Whitfield, Polk, Evans, Trice, and Brown until his injury. Dodge definitely hit on Y'Barbo, Bellazin, Chancellor, maybe Byrd, Orr, Johnson, etc... but they were all very young when Mac arrived.

Please tell me you are kidding on the sentence I placed in bold.

So you point to Dodge using JUCO's yet this coming season DMac is going to depend on many JUCO's and transfers, how is this different?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Without looking I think I remember Dodge signing a large number of Jucos. Whereas Mac signed 4(?) and has 3 transfers, and at least one of those transfers has 3 years of eligibility

So you point to Dodge using JUCO's yet this coming season DMac is going to depend on many JUCO's and transfers, how is this different?

I think Dodge signed 10 or 11 JUCO's before his final season which made us really short of scholarship players last year. He basically morgatged our future for short-term success, and failed. Mac had been much less willing to do sign many JUCO's before this season, the first in which we will be at or near 85 scholarship players in forever. So Mac is using a few JUCO's to shore up some spots, but not at the expense of our future. Transfers are a completely different thing to me. Why not take a flyer on some guys that were highly recruited out of high school?

• Upvote 1

H-towngreen and glick1980 beat me to it. I think it was pretty obvious.

• Upvote 1