McCarney, Canales: UNT to do a whole lot more offensively

Harry

After looking back through my notes from UNTs football press conference today, the one topic I thought would be worth exploring a little more is the Mean Greens plan to diversify its offense this season.

UNT struggled at times last year, and while Derek Thompson was the convenient one to blame a lot of the time, the Mean Greens issues were a little larger than that. UNT really struggled at wide receiver last year. Dan McCarney used some strong words to describe UNTs production, and none of them were particularly nice words.

The point is UNTs coaches believe they will have more options and plan to use them this year, thanks to some transfers and guys who redshirted last year.

I thought it was particularly interesting that offensive coordinator Mike Canales asked Thompson to drop weight to improve his speed (hes down about 15 pounds). UNT had Thompson put on 15 last year because of the type of offense it was going to run.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/03/mccarney-canales-unt-to-do-a-whole-lot-more-offensively.html/

"UNT’s defensive line will be really shorthanded with a host of players missing part or all of the spring, including Brandon McCoy."

So, who is out recovering from off season surgery? This would be an opportunity for Haboul to work on his technique (another thread), and for the young man from Pilot Point (if he's still around) to get enough reps in practice to get invited back this fall. It would also be an opportunity for Sir Calvin to show that he's truly re-dedicated himself.

Everyone is focusing on the QB competition, but from my point of view, THIS is the position in greatest need of improvement.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

"UNT’s defensive line will be really shorthanded with a host of players missing part or all of the spring, including Brandon McCoy."

So, who is out recovering from off season surgery? This would be an opportunity for Haboul to work on his technique (another thread), and for the young man from Pilot Point (if he's still around) to get enough reps in practice to get invited back this fall. It would also be an opportunity for Sir Calvin to show that he's truly re-dedicated himself.

90 is also rehabing from surgery and will not take part in the Spring Game. Will be good to go in August. The young guys are going to get more reps than they ever wanted.

This will be the first year in as long as I can remember that we will be close to the scholarship limit. By shear numbers alone, we should be better, and have better competition for playing time. I think we are solid in alot of areas, but the DL scares me. I think Bellazin is an amazing talent and will have a huge Sr season. Let's just hope we can hold up in the middle.

90 is also rehabing from surgery and will not take part in the Spring Game. Will be good to go in August. The young guys are going to get more reps than they ever wanted.

Well, as my mother used to say " be careful of your hearts desire, because one day you just might get it". And in the case of the back-ups and walk-ons, it would be "and get it....and get it....and get it.......and....... B)

Looking forward to how this situation develops. At least I hope that it "develops".

Edited by SilverEagle

I think that they made Thompson trim 15 pounds is a sign of 4 things

a) they did take the lessons from last season and have already started implementing them. this makes me very happy.

b ) they don't want to just use DT just as a change of pace QB for Berglund, they are looking to use pretty much the same system and style of offense for both of them

c) That it is probably really an open competition, where DT is forced to show he improved his mobility and BB is forced to prove he does not make bad decisions in the heat of the battle

d) I think they are doing b ) because they want to prepare for a raised possibility that whoever is the starter gets hurt

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1