LB John Wood (6-5, 205) Whitesboro, TX (OSU transfer)

Harry

I saw Collin Kilcrease play last year. Tall and very fast. I saw the Pilot Point game. He scored 3 rushing TDs and had a long TD fumble recovery as a DB. He also had a very long punt as their punter. Could be a RB, DB, or WR and a return guy. If he gets a gap in the open field, he's gone.

• Upvote 1

I am from Whitesboro & John is one of my best friends along w/ gill and woods' older bro... He came here to be closer to home & wants to play... He is not 6'5 lol he is 6'0 .. He has always liked North Texas & I'll tell y'all right now he can play.. His senior yr he absolutely dominated people.. Under recruited, could have gone to army or Air force but elected to prefer as a walk on w ok st.. Good speed for size & most likely can play special teams from day one.. Now about Kilcrease, if this kid does not pull a UNT offer we are dumb.. Most talented player ever at UNT except for the notorious Labhart brothers.. Unreal track star & can flat out play both sides of the ball.. Every time in home I talk to his father about how recruiting is going and he has nothing but great things to say about UNT.. Collin loves the school and I really hope he gets more looks..

PS family hated their trip to SMUt so that made me very happy...

• Upvote 5

I am from Whitesboro & John is one of my best friends along w/ gill and woods' older bro... He came here to be closer to home & wants to play... He is not 6'5 lol he is 6'0 .. He has always liked North Texas & I'll tell y'all right now he can play.. His senior yr he absolutely dominated people.. Under recruited, could have gone to army or Air force but elected to prefer as a walk on w ok st.. Good speed for size & most likely can play special teams from day one.. Now about Kilcrease, if this kid does not pull a UNT offer we are dumb.. Most talented player ever at UNT except for the notorious Labhart brothers.. Unreal track star & can flat out play both sides of the ball.. Every time in home I talk to his father about how recruiting is going and he has nothing but great things to say about UNT.. Collin loves the school and I really hope he gets more looks..

Love the video of Wood and glad that he is at NT. I thought 6'5" seemed much taller than he appeared. Thanks for the report spankmark.

• Upvote 1

I went back and looked up the stats on Kilcrease from the Pilot Point game. 19 carries 216 yards, 4 TDs from 25, 67, 72, and 47 yards out. It was an average game if you compare it to stats from his other games. I kind of hate to say this as it sounds like some much hype, but he kind of reminds me of a running back I saw when Sealy beat Wyle for the 2A championship 35 years ago. About the same height and speed. Both track guys and very fast. I hope UNT coaches have him on their radar.

I went back and looked up the stats on Kilcrease from the Pilot Point game. 19 carries 216 yards, 4 TDs from 25, 67, 72, and 47 yards out. It was an average game if you compare it to stats from his other games. I kind of hate to say this as it sounds like some much hype, but he kind of reminds me of a running back I saw when Sealy beat Wyle for the 2A championship 35 years ago. About the same height and speed. Both track guys and very fast. I hope UNT coaches have him on their radar.

Kilcrease reached 1,000 yards rushing on the season in the first 5 games. Chuck Norris may have met his match.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/high-schools/ponder-lions/ponder-lions-headlines/20120929-football-kilcrease-whitesboro-too-much-for-ponder-in-district-opener.ece

• Upvote 1

This all day long!

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Collin is next door neighbors to my mom and dad. It's ironic that my dad, Hal Byrd, played football at North Texas in the late 50's with Abner Haynes and the group that went to the Sun Bowl. Maybe he's talking to him :-)

• Upvote 1

Interesting stuff - I found an article mentioning Byrd playing for North Texas in the Sun Bowl. What interesting is the caliber of team that NMSU had back then. Charley Johnson played in the NFL and Pervis Atkins was an all american.

50 Years Ago

From January 1960

Eagles soundly thrashed in Sun Bowl

The explosive New Mexico State Aggies, ignited by a 57-yard touchdown pass from Charley Johnson to Pervis "Afterburner" Atkins, blasted the NTSC Eagles clear off the Sun Bowl turf in El Paso Thursday afternoon before 14,000 sun-baked fans.

When the Aggie wrecking crew finished with the proud Missouri Valley Conference co-champions, the Eagles were on the short end of a 28-8 score.

It was a crushing defeat for North Texas, which came here boasting a sensational running attack and a rock-ribbed defense. A pass defense that had been superb during the regular season collapsed completely as Aggie pass-master Johnson pitched for two TDs.

In most cases, the big play was a fumble by the Eagles. Abner Haynes fumbled at the 4, Billy Joe Christie fumbled twice down close and Hal Byrd fumbled after nabbing a pass at the Aggie 4.

Christie did manage to redeem himself some as he raced 51 yards with a punt for the Eagles' lone touchdown.

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20100103-Yesteryear-8370.ece

All four of the 1960 NMSU 's backfield played in the NFL . I think one of their backs was named Gaithers. Also their tight end went on to a very successful career in the NFL. Did you know that NMSU was the only (DI) school to offer Charley Johnson a football scholarship ?

• 5 months later...

Best athlete from Whitesboro? He's not even the best Collin from Whitesboro! Back in the day, we had a kid by the name of Collin "Pinnacle" Pennell and that kid could flat out ball! Dominated on the line with no match at all. I hear he roams the streets of Fry these days. Wonder what ever became of him...

Hey porky, you make granny shot?

• Upvote 1