Breakdown of 23 UNT Commits by position

Harry

I've heard it said that you don't recruit for your current needs, you recruit for the needs you perceive 2 or 3 years down the line. I suspect the numbers Harry has posted reflects a perceived need to replace OL in 2015 & 2016. I guess it also suggests that NT's coaching staff is happy with the young defensive linemen currently on the squad - that, or a paucity of good DL prospects available in this year's recruiting pool.

• Upvote 6

I've heard it said that you don't recruit for your current needs, you recruit for the needs you perceive 2 or 3 years down the line. I suspect the numbers Harry has posted reflects a perceived need to replace OL in 2015 & 2016. I guess it also suggests that NT's coaching staff is happy with the young defensive linemen currently on the squad - that, or a paucity of good DL prospects available in this year's recruiting pool.

If we didn't need DLs, we wouldn't be offering them at the rate we have. Sadly, we just haven't been able to land the quality DLs we needed this year.

Keep in mind that either Smart or that other DL from the small Texas high school will take up one of the remaining scholarships., so we will have at least one more DL recruit in this class.

If we didn't need DLs, we wouldn't be offering them at the rate we have. Sadly, we just haven't been able to land the quality DLs we needed this year.

Keep in mind that either Smart or that other DL from the small Texas high school will take up one of the remaining scholarships., so we will have at least one more DL recruit in this class.

The chances of Smart breaking his twitter announced commitment to Tulane I would suspect are very slim. It's doubtful in my mind that he takes the trip although I hope I am wrong.

I'm not a huge twitter fan but you can't underestimate the impact that it has on the recruiting process. In fact, fans of schools are using it to congratulate and encourage recruits to commit to their specific schools.

The chances of Smart breaking his twitter announced commitment to Tulane I would suspect are very slim. It's doubtful in my mind that he takes the trip although I hope I am wrong.

I'm not a huge twitter fan but you can't underestimate the impact that it has on the recruiting process. In fact, fans of schools are using it to congratulate and encourage recruits to commit to their specific schools.

Twitterbomb Smart until he switches to UNT?

• Upvote 2

Couldn't agree more...twitter is the official new 'press release' lol

• Upvote 2

Nothing like Alums electronically documenting recruiting violations. It'll make the NCAA Investigators' jobs much easier.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Is it just me, or is anyone else concerned that in DMN's list of top 100 area players none have committed to North Texsa? I see committments to UTEP,UTSA,La. Tech,New Mexico State,New Mexico,SMU. These are not exactly powerhouses.Is our direction 3a and 4a high schools outside the metroplex,which is about the same road Darrell Dickey took with some success?Just asking wiser heads than me for opinion.

• Upvote 1

Is it just me, or is anyone else concerned that in DMN's list of top 100 area players none have committed to North Texsa? I see committments to UTEP,UTSA,La. Tech,New Mexico State,New Mexico,SMU. These are not exactly powerhouses.Is our direction 3a and 4a high schools outside the metroplex,which is about the same road Darrell Dickey took with some success?Just asking wiser heads than me for opinion.

I may not be wiser but early races are used in the game with verbals. It is not where you start but where you finish on signing day. To throw my opinion in....I believe that the coaches feel like if they can land some known recruits and bring them in then they will hold more weight when they go after any of these top 100 in the area.

I'm surprised, honestly. Third year in and the quality of recruit doesn't seem to have changed much.

Defensive line depth will, again, be a problem. This is what shocks me the most. It appears as though this group of coaches believes secondary is more important.

• Upvote 2

I'm surprised, honestly. Third year in and the quality of recruit doesn't seem to have changed much.

Defensive line depth will, again, be a problem. This is what shocks me the most. It appears as though this group of coaches believes secondary is more important.

You guys shouldn't be surprised, we haven't won yet.

We have improved, but 5A DFW kids usually commit the summer before their senior year, especially the ones that have a few options. If we are coming off another losing season then the schools fighting us for a kid will use that against us.

Also, whether you believe in ratings and stars or not, the best recruits have offers from other schools. Until we win we will have trouble getting these top recruits.

As far as D-Lineman go, this may be the hardest position to get good players, since the best programs rarely let the good ones through the cracks. People have asked why do we not have any d-lineman since that is the position that Mccarney has most frequently coached over the year?

My Answer: Because Mccarney is probably pickier evaluating who to offer at this position than any other position.

Like I said early, since we have not won yet we have had trouble winning recruiting battles and good d-lineman are coveted by other schools too. Because Mccarney doesn't want to offer just any Jo-Schmo at d-line this class, we have seen ourselves lose the d-lineman we were after this year to schools like OU (Charles Walker), Tulsa/OU (Matthew Romar), Baylor/TCU/Texas (Andrew Billings) and Tulane (Tanzel Smart). I know Tulane isn't that good but we couldn't tell Smart that we were much better off (4 wins to their 2) and then they probably killed us with the proximity pitch among others.

We will probably get Tebo now, and I hope he turns out great, but we really need a big season this year in order to start reeling in big fish on the d-line.

You guys shouldn't be surprised, we haven't won yet.

We have improved, but 5A DFW kids usually commit the summer before their senior year, especially the ones that have a few options. If we are coming off another losing season then the schools fighting us for a kid will use that against us.

Also, whether you believe in ratings and stars or not, the best recruits have offers from other schools. Until we win we will have trouble getting these top recruits.

As far as D-Lineman go, this may be the hardest position to get good players, since the best programs rarely let the good ones through the cracks. People have asked why do we not have any d-lineman since that is the position that Mccarney has most frequently coached over the year?

My Answer: Because Mccarney is probably pickier evaluating who to offer at this position than any other position.

Like I said early, since we have not won yet we have had trouble winning recruiting battles and good d-lineman are coveted by other schools too. Because Mccarney doesn't want to offer just any Jo-Schmo at d-line this class, we have seen ourselves lose the d-lineman we were after this year to schools like OU (Charles Walker), Tulsa/OU (Matthew Romar), Baylor/TCU/Texas (Andrew Billings) and Tulane (Tanzel Smart). I know Tulane isn't that good but we couldn't tell Smart that we were much better off (4 wins to their 2) and then they probably killed us with the proximity pitch among others.

We will probably get Tebo now, and I hope he turns out great, but we really need a big season this year in order to start reeling in big fish on the d-line.

...and my response to that would be that half of his expertise is evaluation, the other half is (or should be) coaching-motivating. Right now, what I'm seeing is him asking an over-achiever (Ryan Boutwell) to play out of position and working himself to death (and getting injured) doing it. If I'm a guru at anything, and in this case D-linemen, then part of my guruness is to be able to assess viable overlooked projects and get them on board. And then coach-motivate them to be productive d-linemen.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

...and my response to that would be that half of his expertise is evaluation, the other half is (or should be) coaching-motivating. Right now, what I'm seeing is him asking an over-achiever (Ryan Boutwell) to play out of position and working himself to death (and getting injured) doing it. If I'm a guru at anything, and in this case D-linemen, then part of my guruness is to be able to assess viable overlooked projects and get them on board. And then coach-motivate them to be productive d-linemen.

I agree. I just think his pickiness holds him back sometimes.

Yeah, I think his evaluation of Tebo is an example of his guruness, but d-lineman very rarely slip through the cracks by other teams' guru evaluators. That is just such a high demand position.

As for Boutwell, we need him there and Mac isn't the only one that sees that. It's unfortunate, but that's just the state our program is in right now.

Words can't express how much a winning season would help our program in every way right now.

• Upvote 1

I agree. I just think his pickiness holds him back sometimes.

Yeah, I think his evaluation of Tebo is an example of his guruness, but d-lineman very rarely slip through the cracks by other teams' guru evaluators. That is just such a high demand position.

As for Boutwell, we need him there and Mac isn't the only one that sees that. It's unfortunate, but that's just the state our program is in right now.

Words can't express how much a winning season would help our program in every way right now.

We were having the same recruiting results as SMU prior to their 4 year bowl run. Now look at their recruiting classes. Just win.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I just did a little look at some of our peers recruiting. Not good news there.

We are not even at the level of most of the Sun Belt as far as picking up high rated recruits. i didn't even bother to look at CUSA teams, as it will just depress me. ULM has higher rated players that we do (most from TX). I don't want to even think about what ECU or Marshall. We can't out-recruit Texas State..

I use scout and I don't see what u see. La Tech, UTEP , Tulane , Colo State, Wyoming all about the same. UTSA, TSU, ULM , 1/2 their class N/R . Maybe I'm using the wrong site. Let me know. Thanks GMG