Breakdown of 23 UNT Commits by position

Harry

You guys shouldn't be surprised, we haven't won yet.

We have improved, but 5A DFW kids usually commit the summer before their senior year, especially the ones that have a few options. If we are coming off another losing season then the schools fighting us for a kid will use that against us.

Also, whether you believe in ratings and stars or not, the best recruits have offers from other schools. Until we win we will have trouble getting these top recruits.

As far as D-Lineman go, this may be the hardest position to get good players, since the best programs rarely let the good ones through the cracks. People have asked why do we not have any d-lineman since that is the position that Mccarney has most frequently coached over the year?

My Answer: Because Mccarney is probably pickier evaluating who to offer at this position than any other position.

Like I said early, since we have not won yet we have had trouble winning recruiting battles and good d-lineman are coveted by other schools too. Because Mccarney doesn't want to offer just any Jo-Schmo at d-line this class, we have seen ourselves lose the d-lineman we were after this year to schools like OU (Charles Walker), Tulsa/OU (Matthew Romar), Baylor/TCU/Texas (Andrew Billings) and Tulane (Tanzel Smart). I know Tulane isn't that good but we couldn't tell Smart that we were much better off (4 wins to their 2) and then they probably killed us with the proximity pitch among others.

We will probably get Tebo now, and I hope he turns out great, but we really need a big season this year in order to start reeling in big fish on the d-line.

One problem is Dan McCarney does not coach defensive linemen; Mike Nelson does. How many defensive linemen under Nelson have made an impact? Especially tackles.

The highest rated defensive tackle that we've signed (that's on the current squad) is Micah Thompson and he's now on the offensive line. Wallace (Steele #377) is next and McDorman was unrated. All of the rest of the defensive tackles are former defensive ends except for Abbe, who was an offensive tackle. The bottom line seems to be...we're not signing them and we're not developing them.

Edited by GrayEagle

One problem is Dan McCarney does not coach defensive linemen; Mike Nelson does. How many defensive linemen under Nelson have made an impact? Especially tackles.

The highest rated defensive tackle that we've signed (that's on the current squad) is Micah Thompson and he's now on the offensive line. Wallace (Steele #377) is next and McDorman was unrated. All of the rest of the defensive tackles are former defensive ends except for Abbe, who was an offensive tackle. The bottom line seems to be...we're not signing them and we're not developing them.

I don't know one way or the other, but I think it's not out of the question that Mac has a hand (or at least oversees) in DL coaching.

He probably would be touching base with all the positions, but considering where we are and his background, I think he's probably fired up and feels coaching in the lines is really needed right now.

Who coaches d-line is not the only thing that matters with recruiting. No matter how much scouting, evaluating, and recruiting our assistant coaches do, it is ultimately Mccarney's decision whether we offer a kid or not.

Mccarney, being a d-line guy, has been pretty selective with what d-lineman he offers especially with this class.

You're right though, we just aren't bringing in d tackles, and I think that could be because Mccarney only wants to offer the good ones. Problem with that is other schools want those guys too, and due to our recent lack of success it is hard to win recruiting battles against schools that have been winning.

Also, it seems like you don't know this, but coaches don't only recruit players for their position. Sometimes, maybe half the time they do, but coaches are not assigned to recruit players at their position only.

• Upvote 1

Just saw that Texas State pulled in a 4 star ESPN 300 running back today. They now have two 4 star players.

We have never had a 4 star from ESPN.

I honestly have so little hope any more.

People pooh-poohed the hiring of Larry Coker. The guy knows what he is doing. And, being from Oklahoma - as a player and coach - and recruiting nationally for Ohio State and Miami...it was a great hire for UTSA.

Again, I'll be disappoint if UTSA beats us, but not as surprised as many here would be.

People pooh-poohed the hiring of Larry Coker. The guy knows what he is doing. And, being from Oklahoma - as a player and coach - and recruiting nationally for Ohio State and Miami...it was a great hire for UTSA.

Again, I'll be disappoint if UTSA beats us, but not as surprised as many here would be.

Texas State pulled the ESPN 4-star back in the post that you quoted, not Larry Coker and UTSA.

I'm surprised, honestly. Third year in and the quality of recruit doesn't seem to have changed much.

Defensive line depth will, again, be a problem. This is what shocks me the most. It appears as though this group of coaches believes secondary is more important.

I admit that TFLF has the edge in that he is more of a football nerd than I am, but I'm a bit obsessed with statistics and really, if you prevent more of the long plays that have killed us, and can retain the level of play on the shorter ones defensively for the segment of the field that would be shortened by reigning in runners and receivers on those huge gains, even if we gave up points there would be a lot more multiples of 3 than 7 in the box score. I could be wrong, since again many of you are more involved with the game than I am, but just on the stats end of things this resonates with me and may be a part of the overall coaching schematic as it relates to recruitment.