What's Happening From CUSA & Commish' Banowsky?

PlummMeanGreen

OK, the money isn't quite the same. But it's within 2 million or so. And 2 million is somehting an active fan base can easily make up. You just need 4000 fans to give $500. That is quite doable.

The other thing is no netwoprk is giving the Big East a contract till they can guarantee who is in and who is out. It is NOT simply school X is worth $Y. It's school X PLAYING school Y is worth $Z. It's the games, NOT the schools, that go on TV. Alabama vs LSU is worth a LOT more than Alabama vs South Carolina. Till you know who is in the Big East, it's TV value is unknown and no one is going to commit dollars to something that is unknnown.

• Upvote 1

If this is to ever happen, it will be without the help of, and against strong resistance from the privates. The big money guys that fund the private schools don't give 2 sh!ts about losing money if it means that they get to rub elbows with perceived higher class.

Also, the big problem with the "regional" push is that this last round of realignment was about getting exposure "nationally" to many schools---beginning, of course, with Texas A&M and continuing on down to SMU and Houston. SMU, Rice, Tulane, etc draw flies as it is. Why would that be any worse if they go national?

Boise and SDSU are not private schools being held hostage by 90 year old billionaires. They are public schools more grounded in fiscal responsibility and they made the sound choice based on the finances of the deal. Do not expect the privates in our region to do the same.

• Upvote 1

I do as well. I think ODU brings instant brand recognition to CUSA. UTSA brings a destination city. MTSU bridges the Southern gap and FAU has better facilities than FIU. I think all of the Adds are bringing something good to the table including us with our excellent facilities and recruiting hotbed location.

GMG

• Upvote 1

I believe in the end result common sense will prevail. Fans like Cougar King are reacting as one would have in the past, when the rules of the game were different. Now we're all in the same boat, same BCS bowl access, similar TV money and needing a place for our programs to build and grow.

Here's the reality for Cougar King and UofH fans, you're fixing to break ground on a $140 million dollar stadium. The Big East was supposed to be bringing you $8-10 Million in revenue...now with the defections you'll get 2-3 if you are lucky. Are these Big East leftovers going to fill your shiny new stadium? And if you stay in the Big East you know that UConn and Cincy have one foot out the door. What happens then? Backfill with C-USA teams and start the cycle of unrest all over again because the eastern schools want school A and the western schools want school B? It's dumb...it makes no sense.

The Mountain West is the old WAC - ask SMU and Tulsa how that worked out for them. Late night games, long travel for student athletes...the revenue is the same, the BCS bowl access is the same.. it makes sense for schools in that region which is why Boise returned. And here's the reality, if you think Wyoming, CSU and some of the other Mountain West schools want another Texas school in the mix after their TCU experience you better think again. They know any Texas school will have an immediate recruiting advantage. And I refuse to believe that Wyoming and Utah State fans will flock to see games at Ford stadium or the new Houston one. Their fans and students aren't going to travel to those games and vice versa and you know it.

If NIU proved anything by getting to the BCS it is that what the MAC does promoting stability and regional rivalries makes the most sense. What's the advantage of having the best of the rest if the money and bowl access is the same? Why should you pull a La. Tech and prevent your seniors from a bowl game they earned because you are afraid of getting beat by a neighborhood program? It doesn't make sense!!

Boise made a reasonable decision by returning to the Mountain West. SDSU will follow shortly. Common sense will eventually prevail.

First off you have to limit the amount of move ups by setting clear standards or requirements for participating in FBS. That needs to happen quickly or it will force the big boys to try and break off on their own. 10 fingers and 10 toes should not be the FBS requirement any longer. Set some standards.

Take the gang of five schools and pull out a map. The Mountain West and the MAC are already pretty well set. Take the Big East, C-USA and Belt and cut it into regional sections that make sense. Where fans can jump into a car and get to games, where rivalries can develop and grow. If you have invested more in your program than others who you are joining it will come out in the wash because you will have more successful programs and have a better shot at the BCS windfall game, NCAA tourney bids etc. Put together a mini playoff among the regions and sell it to the highest bidder. Work out a deal with the NCAA where the winner gets the BCS spot... why not think outside of the box?

I understand Houston and SMU don't want to have to tell their fanbase they had to "Go Back" to C-USA -- Fine then, rename the damn thing. Call it the XYZ conference or Acme... give it a DBA...that way all the NCAA bids and units can stay in tact.

So many are so concerned about who they are aligning themselves with....here's a big secret, Boise moved back to the Mountain West in part because they expect to DOMINATE that conference every single year which means they have a good shot at a BCS bowl every single year which mean big dollars for their program and good recruiting. Their fanbase will get to attend a LOT of games and have A LOT of fun. In the new world order you should align yourself with teams that you feel you can compete against and win more times than not. Teams that are close enough for your fans to drive to so you can build interest and attendance and increase revenue.

Come to agreement on teams, regions and names and then, here's a novel idea -- work together!! Instead of fighting amongst yourselves, use your power in numbers to influence the NCAA by creating more BCS access (bigger playoff) and make a better road for the future.

Post of the year...decade...a lifetime :goodjob:

Edited by oldschoollefty
  • Upvote 1

CougarKing...Stalking ? You've posted at least 258 times on the GOMEANGREEN board. Who is stalking who ?

If you weren't happy at North Texas, great. I hope you're happy now at Houston. So why don't you stay on the GOCougar.com site and stop coming around here telling us how much you don't like North Texas. I get it. You don't like North Texas. Please leave this site to those of us that do like North Texas. And I'm in my 60s and I've been supporting North Texas Athletics longer than you've been alive.

GOMEANGREEN

• Upvote 1

CougarKing...Stalking ? You've posted at least 258 times on the GOMEANGREEN board. Who is stalking who ?

If you weren't happy at North Texas, great. I hope you're happy now at Houston. So why don't you stay on the GOCougar.com site and stop coming around here telling us how much you don't like North Texas. I get it. You don't like North Texas. Please leave this site to those of us that do like North Texas. And I'm in my 60s and I've been supporting North Texas Athletics longer than you've been alive.

GOMEANGREEN

Actually, you have probably been supporting UNT longer than his mommy and daddy have been alive. Hopefully he goes away...

• Upvote 1

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=215&f=2804&t=11128736

^This is the Coogs take on the idea of being in a regional conference that "makes sense" to the folks at GMG.

The original posters idea was not what we are suggesting. I agree, it would suck being in a conference where Tulsa is the only good team. There are plenty of great schools out there that just as good and still considered "regional", such as Southern Miss, UCF, USF, La Tech, and possibly even ECU. Why include Texas State and ULL? Why not go to 12, 14, or 16 teams?

The funny thing is how delusional that forum is. Even with that proposed lineup, Houston is still not the best team. Your fanbase has the mentality of the kid in school who constantly tried to hangout with the cool kids, but just didn't make the cut.

• Upvote 1

^This is the Coogs take on the idea of being in a regional conference that "makes sense" to the folks at GMG.

Just proof that the fear has set in on the Coog fans. They are becoming afraid to compete with the UNT/UTSA/TxSt of the world and they are becoming more desperate to keep the separation. Whooston can run, but they can't hide. Now they put 2nd year UTSA on their schedule so they can show how tough they are. Shameful.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I don't care to read Houston's website. Mostly because I don't care, however, I do wish them luck as a Texas school, but this is UNTexas' take on what you remind me of :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001860/

Notice there is no cure, it always comes back, and is an irritant to those exposed to it.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2