Mid Major Madness article on UNT

Dr. Seuss

"Wait, sidebar.

Let me understand something here. There are probably 50 NBA scouts in attendance for tonight's game, even with McCollum in a suit on the bench. The ONLY other guy that they are here to see is Mitchell.

And you don't even start the guy? What the heck is Tony Benford thinking? Even if Mitchell is the biggest PITA since Ron Artest, you don't have him sitting on the bench to begin the game. You have him taking the jump. You have him running the floor from the beginning. You have him shooting the damn ball.

OK, end sidebar."

*cough* Everyone can see it. *cough*

He could've saved a lot of type space by keeping the thread title the same and just typing this part, "What the heck is Tony Benford thinking?"

This is no big deal. If you miss a team function, you don't start, even if the absence is excused and even if it is something that TM had to attend at the behest of the AD.

Tony was the 1st sub in off the bench. There is a lot to be concerned about. This isn't one of those things.

This is no big deal. If you miss a team function, you don't start, even if the absence is excused and even if it is something that TM had to attend at the behest of the AD.

Tony was the 1st sub in off the bench. There is a lot to be concerned about. This isn't one of those things.

Problem is that its not actual discipline. It's Benford trying to create the illusion that he's a disciplinarian. It's just another example of Benford trying to create the illusion that he knows what he's doing as a head coach. He's trying to get by with gimmicks because he can bring nothing else to the table...his sub pattern is a gimmick...his stomping around and shouting to make sure the NBA scouts can hear him is a gimmick...2 minute "penalties" are a gimmick.

• Upvote 1

Man, truth hurts!

As for the sidebar, is it too much to ask of players to show up on time for meetings/practice/et al? I don't know about anyone else but that just shows to me that he doesn't care. You think things like that will fly in the NBA? Prove me wrong.

Benjamin Miraski failed to mention that (Mitchell being late to team meetings)...probably because he didn't know. But all of the other local journalists knew. Starting and getting minutes is a "reward" for being a talented player and following the rules.

Like it or not - Mitchell's road to the NBA goes through Benford.

Again...truth hurts.

Tony doesn't care. He's been skipping practice (supposedly to do frat stuff) and doesn't care the repercussions. This dude doesn't have the drive he did last year.

Tony doesn't care. He's been skipping practice (supposedly to do frat stuff) and doesn't care the repercussions. This dude doesn't have the drive he did last year.

There's a few million dollars on the line here. I for one don't believe that he doesn't care when it's appeared he loved it here and really wanted to try and leave a legacy. Just look at last year and what he did and not even for a full season at that. As a 20 year old he may have tendencies as with most other kids that young and with a lot going for them but that is where basketball coach can be beneficial which Benford isn't. He is suited to be an assistant but he has no business being a head coach.

Mitchell will never make it in the NBA unless he changes a lot of things about his approach to the game and his play on the court. His major problem is that he can't create his own shot, and that is all the NBA is.

But sometimes in the NBA they run these crazy things called plays. These weird things seem to get the ball into players hand's in certain spots where they're comfortable. Its crazy.

• Upvote 2

Just the rumor I heard but the source was fairly reliable. I didn't want to believe it either but he's came off the bench twice this year for team violations. I can think of only one time it happened all of last year. Not saying its fact but something to consider.

Just the rumor I heard but the source was fairly reliable. I didn't want to believe it either but he's came off the bench twice this year for team violations. I can think of only one time it happened all of last year. Not saying its fact but something to consider.

If that had happened, he would have sat the whole game.

Even Benford would know that he would have to do that or he would lose the team.

If that had happened, he would have sat the whole game.

Even Benford would know that he would have to do that or he would lose the team.

He hasn't lost the team? No I agree I don't think he's missing practices but being late sounds more like it. Or maybe Benford knows the donors and ADept want to see T-Mitch play more than they want to see Benford coach.

Edited by NTGabe15

But sometimes in the NBA they run these crazy things called plays. These weird things seem to get the ball into players hand's in certain spots where they're comfortable. Its crazy.

If they can run a play where he gets a dunk every time he will be great, otherwise he will suck.