Just talked to a scout

Dr. Seuss

Is it not the coach's job to prepare his players to be ready to play? Our team is not prepared and the players are not motivated to play hard. It is the coach's job to put his talent together and make sure they perform on the court. You think this team would be 5-7 if JJ was still here? I think not...

With JJ I say we would be 7-6. We still loose to Creighton, Kansas State, Virginia, UTA, and either St. Louis or Lehigh. JJ let the players run their street ball system which is fun to watch and can dominate the sunbelt, but never win against teams like Creighton or Lehigh.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Is it not the coach's job to prepare his players to be ready to play? Our team is not prepared and the players are not motivated to play hard. It is the coach's job to put his talent together and make sure they perform on the court. You think this team would be 5-7 if JJ was still here? I think not...

JJ is gone. But we would be MAYBE 6-7

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well...look at the bright side..no home games for a bit. We can all chill and get ready for the second half of the season run. Enjoy the holidays...and forget this stuff for a few days.

Still got Hot Springs...win it and it will feel much better. You got to believe or you might jump off a bridge somewhere.

Safe and happy holidays to all...and to all a good night.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

My scout quotes: "Why don't you guys play defense? They look dead out there." And "I saw Mitchell at the Lebeon Camp and he was a beast, what happened?"

I informed him it was a coaching problem.

I sat and watch and listened as Coach Benford yelled at his team loud enough for everyone in the 1st 20 rows to gear. Such coaching nuggets like "Go up strong, Jacob" and, yelling at the bench after a defensive breakdown, but while play is still ongoing "We went over that in practice", like the guys on the bench had anything to do with what was going on on the court. It's like he yelled it as loud as he could strictly for the first 20 rows (which included many NBA scouts) to hear.

This is a disaster. If I knew a big donor who had the money to buy out the contract, I would beg him in person to right the check.

We are in Todd Dodge territory here. That is where we are at. We will see after this 12 win season just how serious UNT is about athletics.

• Upvote 3

I agree with Andrew. I never saw brilliance from Tony last year. He was rarely the best big man on the court. we lost to ULL twice with Johnny. Benford is the coach this year and more. The "fire the coach" BS after a few games is bush league. I haven't been a member of this site long, but it makes me sick every time I come here. I have been going to NT games since 1961, attend ever game I can, listen on the radio tp away games. Been to Hot Spings the last 3 years, going this year. I watch 20 plus games every week. All of which i plan on continuing. And don't bother telling me I don't know basketball. I won't be back to read it. What if a potential recruit read this site. Most of you are a disgrace to NT

THIS! Do not think for a second that the players and coaching staff do not come on here and read these negative and quite frankly thoughtless comments.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

I listened to a scout obn the way out say Benford is trying to implement a serious system but doesn't have the disciplined players to do it as opposed to Lehigh where their star player went down and someone else stepped into his place. He said he needs to get his own players for HIS system. I tend to agree...our players ESPECIALLY Tony act like they don't even care out there. The smaller less athletic team out hustled us and played with confidence on every play...our guys are some over-hyped brats and they didn't want it bad enough. It was so embarrassing sitting with my friends from Lehigh having to watch tonight. Smh.

Seems to be that you may have overheard the same guys I did...or maybe they had similar opinions of what they saw...but, you know those guys don't know anything about basketball. They just need to talk with all the BB experts here on GMG.com. Man, those NBA guys are just basketball dummies!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Well...look at the bright side..no home games for a bit. We can all chill and get ready for the second half of the season run. Enjoy the holidays...and forget this stuff for a few days.

Still got Hot Springs...win it and it will feel much better. You got to believe or you might jump off a bridge somewhere.

Safe and happy holidays to all...and to all a good night.

You know, you do remind me of Clarence. So who would be Mr. Potter? Everytime a bell rings the Mean Green Club gets a new member?

Merry Christmas to the biggest UNT optimist.

I agree with Andrew. I never saw brilliance from Tony last year. He was rarely the best big man on the court. we lost to ULL twice with Johnny. Benford is the coach this year and more. The "fire the coach" BS after a few games is bush league. I haven't been a member of this site long, but it makes me sick every time I come here. I have been going to NT games since 1961, attend ever game I can, listen on the radio tp away games. Been to Hot Spings the last 3 years, going this year. I watch 20 plus games every week. All of which i plan on continuing. And don't bother telling me I don't know basketball. I won't be back to read it. What if a potential recruit read this site. Most of you are a disgrace to NT
Forget this website, I don't want recruits to see our W-L record or watch us play.
  • Upvote 7

I listened to a scout obn the way out say Benford is trying to implement a serious system but doesn't have the disciplined players to do it as opposed to Lehigh where their star player went down and someone else stepped into his place. He said he needs to get his own players for HIS system. I tend to agree...

Well one would assume that this is common sense but of course to our fan base this makes no sense. People just act like if you have talent you are going to win. Benford is actually running a system an these kids are not disciplined enough to care. Sure we could run a JJ system and win a few more games and have some fancy dunks, but as for me I rather see some change and someone who wants to win the meaningful game.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Mike...stop giving me the minus points for just reporting what I heard the NBA guys say....it is their opinion, not mine...go give them the minus ones.....

I can't help it f these NBA guys are so stupid. We're not my comments....it was their comments. Sorry you don't agree. But, I am guessing they might just go with their own opinions...neither mine nor yours....sort of their job, right?

Let's all just agree that the season has been very frustrating so far. Let's all hope T Mitch ends up as a lottery pick and just see how it turns out. What we believe will not change a thing...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Your constant berating of the refs does not help

Info, no question!

Whatever, the refs deserved berating. Billy Corgan had no clue WTF was going on. Terribly called on BOTH sides tonight. Just an embarrassment. I thought they'd call a technical because Army of Dad on one side and I, on the other side were in his grill after that double-technical BS.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

Why are folks listening to scouts as if what they say is scripture? Scouts are just that...they have a hell of a lot more misses than hits. That said is they don't know what this program has done the last decade so I don't put all stock in to a couple of their comments. This is a joke...Benford could very well make this team back to a complete cellar dwellar in a matter of just one season when it's all over with.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Whatever, the refs deserved berating. Billy Corgan had no clue WTF was going on. Terribly called on BOTH sides tonight. Just an embarrassment. I thought they'd call a technical because Army of Dad on one side and I, on the other side were in his grill after that double-technical BS.

You both should be proud!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Your constant berating of the refs does not help

Info, no question!

Oh you got me, sorry to be one of the few and shrinking number of vocal fans at UNT games. Be sure to lecture the students for berating refs too. Don't forget Benford since he got on the refs tonight too...

There were 11 extra fans in the game tonight taking advantage of the secret santa's generosity because we made a point to let them know about the promotion. None of them knew about it and hadn't heard about it from anyone else. That probably doesn't help either, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Oh you got me, sorry to be one of the few and shrinking number of vocal fans at UNT games. Be sure to lecture the students for berating refs too. Don't forget Benford since he got on the refs tonight too...

There were 11 extra fans in the game tonight taking advantage of the secret santa's generosity because we made a point to let them know about the promotion. None of them knew about it and hadn't heard about it from anyone else. That probably doesn't help either, right?

Exactly. Everyone at the games are silent. Hell, they don't even sing the school fight song anymore, and god forbid they do a bit of yelling. Just pathetic. The refs deserved to hear it.

And I am quite proud, actually.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'll cue the band to pay tribute to you

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1