JUCO signing day primer and recruiting notes

Harry

I spent some time earlier today making calls and texting a few people to see where UNT stands heading into JUCO singing day (or at least the first day of the mid-term period).

The big news was that UNT landed Snow lineman Justin Manu.

That was a huge get for UNT, one I have touched on already.

Here’s what else we know at this point:

UNT has three guys who are supposed to sign tomorrow or in the next day or two:

Trinity Valley center Shawn McKinney, Kilgore cornerback James Jones and Manu.

All three of those guys fill need spots for UNT, which needs defensive back help, a center to replace Aaron Fortenberry in case Boone Feldt isn’t ready next season and a tackle to add to the rotation with Coleman Feeley graduating.

Jones and Manu look like they could be difference-makers on paper. Manu is a first-team JUCO All-American with options who UNT recruited as a right tackle, while Jones is a guy who should start at one of the cornerback spots.

There are few other guys still in play heading into signing day at some need spots.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/12/juco-signing-day-primer-and-recruiting-notes.html/

Kaydon Kirby has at least an equal shot at the starting center spot than Feldt at this point. If Mckinney wants to compete at that spot he is going to have to lose weight, because even though he has a lot of good weight it still slows him down.

As far as Charles Walker, I find it odd that they would accept a commitment from a juco dt soon after offering Walker if they weren't willing to take both. Either way I hope we still get him, since he would play right away here but would probably be looking at a redshirt at OU.

• Upvote 1

Billy I have hear that Kirby is an outstanding player. He was a walk-on but will quickly land a full ride based on his ability. It's amazing what you can find in this area in terms of overlooked talent. Fortenberry was also a walk-on and he was one of the best linemen if not the best in the Sun Belt last year!

Kaydon Kirby has at least an equal shot at the starting center spot than Feldt at this point. If Mckinney wants to compete at that spot he is going to have to lose weight, because even though he has a lot of good weight it still slows him down.

As far as Charles Walker, I find it odd that they would accept a commitment from a juco dt soon after offering Walker if they weren't willing to take both. Either way I hope we still get him, since he would play right away here but would probably be looking at a redshirt at OU.

I assume that you are referring to Brown. He is a juco de; he only weighs 230. Of course, Manu is a juco ot.

Billy I have hear that Kirby is an outstanding player. He was a walk-on but will quickly land a full ride based on his ability. It's amazing what you can find in this area in terms of overlooked talent. Fortenberry was also a walk-on and he was one of the best linemen if not the best in the Sun Belt last year!

Exactly. Like you've said before, our walk-on program is one thing that we have going for us and should continue to have going for us with our reasonable tuition compared to the other DFW Division 1 schools in TCU and SMU.

And yes, Monkey's right. I was talking about the JUCO DT that OU got. Also OU just recently flipped former A&M commit 4-star DT Kerrick Huggins of Dallas Skyline.