It's time .. Fire him

UNT_Spark

I guess it is great to let off steam, something I certainly use this board for, but Benford is not going anywhere. Unless, some of you have several millions dollars to make it happen, it isn't going to occur no matter how bad it gets. Stephens was running off players right and left as well as setting records for losing margins and NT let her have 3 years at a fraction of Benford's salary.

I do hope someone with some understanding of basketball is having some firm discussions with Benford to determine at least if he has a plan to right the ship. Personally I would like to see NT play a game with Evans at the helm just to see how much of this is game time coaching. Not going to happen either, but this constant substitution is beyond ridiculous. Several times Saturday, NT had brief spurts of good play only to be interrupted with mass substitutions.

Those blaming the players wholly for this mess, obviously are ignoring the fact that a lot of NT players, most notably Mitchell, A. Williams, Franklin, Patton, and Jones have already proved they are legit basketball players. Holmen and Jordan Williams also have had their moments. That is seven sound players and I believe you can add Hardwick to that list. Recognizing despite his recent play, Mitchell is capable of being one of the best in the land and there is no reason that this team other than coaching should be getting beat at home by UTA and ULL and Alabama Huntville anywhere.

This coaching staff has two very experienced head coaches, so there has to be someone with an idea of what the issues are and how to address them. It is not the time for RV to set idly by and assume Benford knows what he is doing. I fully expect RV to publicly support Benford, but behind closed doors he should be very active with this team. RV has been bullet proof but that won't last forever unless the two major programs get a lot better. RV may already be in the middle of this, but it doesn't seem his style.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

We can still have a good season by NT standards. A little over .500 in conference play and a run in the conference tournament was about par for the course under Johnny Jones. Benford will need to get his stuff together to even sniff that though.

The sad part, is that this was "the season". They may have been overhyped, but we still may never have this kind of talent at NT again. This was the year we were supposed to get to the NCAA with a reasonable seed. WE were supposed to be getting 5,000 a game and more. These two losses at home (when was the last time we lost back to back at home) will kill attendance until the spring semester, and its only coming back if we start winning.

If it weren't for a miracle UALR three pointer in 2011, and CJ and JW failing in 2012, we would be playing for our fourth straight NCAA. It really just is baffling sometimes how little goes right for us. Brandon Walton injury and failed TJ Taylor appeal already this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Meangreenmick-

You think he designed that play at the end of the game to go off with 25 seconds left to go? A three with 25 seconds to go when we are only down by 2? Then why was he chewing Jordan out for shooting the ball and screaming no when he shot it!? Granted it was a wide open look Benford wanted the last shot and it was clear by his actions and mannerisms.

Tony does need more touches but he does attract a lot of bodies. Which does actually clog the lane :/

Again I am not taking all of the name off the coaching staff and I do not know what happens in practice, but a lot of this is on the players and the poor last second decisions they make. I will give him a year to make a decision on him. I really thought this was our turn around game, especially after the ladies win. I was wrong and it is disappointing.

I think he either designed it, or he didn't do anything. The only other option is that the player completely disregarded the instructions of the coach. In that case, the player should have been off the court for the rest of the game and probably a few more games as well. So, if we go with Benford didn't design that play, and we go with Benford didn't just do nothing, all thats left is Jordan completely disregarded the coaches instructions and the coach didn't do much about it. Given discipline seems to be an issue under this coach, thats an issue that the player disregarded his instructions and all he did was yell at him and leave him in.

For the record, I think Benford drew up some type of weak play and gave the players very little guidance as to what to do in that game on the line situation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I really don't mean to defend Benford here, because I am not a fan to this point at all, but very often the first option in end of game situations break down and you have to go with the 2nd or 3rd option. I remember Pitino (I think) talking about this once.

Defense, or lack thereof, cost us the UAH game and ULL game. Players are the ones playing defense, but it is coach's responsibility to ensure that the players on the court are playing D. The team showed that it can score enough points to win when it shoots well, but some of our key players have not committed themselves on the defensive end. You can either blame the players, or blame the coach for allowing them on the court, but defense has already cost us 2 games. We can have off shooting nights, but defense is just about hustle. It is Coach Benford's job to get the current core players to buy in defensively, or find change the core.

We have proven already that we don't have a lot of shooters on this team. We will likely lose on nights we don't shoot well. We will certainly lose if we continue to allow teams to score 70+ points every night.

On multiple occasions you've asked people to give you examples of Benford not doing his job. What examples so far in the season can you give that would lead you or anyone else to believe he IS doing his job.

As bad as we've sucked I can almost understand people wanting to lay it at the player's feet... But in trying to take that point of view I can't see one single thing Benford has done that would lead me to believe he's doing his job. Not one single thing.

Things he has done:

1) Convinced Tony Mitchell to stay

2) Kept Chris Jones from transferring

3) Signed Greg Wesley

4) Signed Josh Friar

5) Signed Tony Nunn

6) Signed PJ Hardwicke

7) Signed TJ Taylor

8) Retained experienced assistant coaching staff

9) Inflicted serious pain on scorekeeper's 'buzzer finger'

I don't disagree that the team has underperformed compared to their perceived ability to this point. Ultimately, that responsibility will lay at the coach's feet if it is not resolved. However I do disagree that he has done anything to warrant the knee jerk 'fire him now' reaction. That would do way more harm than good to the program.

If this team plays just a little defense, they more than likely win UAH, UTA, and ULL games. Giving up 70+ points to those three teams, inexcusable lack of defensive effort by the guys on the court.

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Things he has done:

1) Convinced Tony Mitchell to stay

2) Kept Chris Jones from transferring

3) Signed Greg Wesley

4) Signed Josh Friar

5) Signed Tony Nunn

6) Signed PJ Hardwicke

7) Signed TJ Taylor

8) Retained experienced assistant coaching staff

9) Inflicted serious pain on scorekeeper's 'buzzer finger'

I don't disagree that the team has underperformed compared to their perceived ability to this point. Ultimately, that responsibility will lay at the coach's feet if it is not resolved. However I do disagree that he has done anything to warrant the knee jerk 'fire him now' reaction. That would do way more harm than good to the program.

If this team plays just a little defense, they more than likely win UAH, UTA, and ULL games. Giving up 70+ points to those three teams, inexcusable lack of defensive effort by the guys on the court.

This "fire him" is an embarassment to UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Players are not buying in! -- It is the coach's responsibility to get them to buy in. We aren't in some kind of rebuilding situation. We cannot give 5 years for him to build a program in his image. We needed someone to come in and win this year. It shouldn't have been really hard.

Players are not doing what they are supposed to! Benford is calling the right plays! -- Again. We need to win this year. Instead of trying to reconfigure the entire program into his image, he needed to modify his philosophies to fit the players. The guys look confused and hesitant like they are over-thinking.

Players are frustrated! -- Yep. No s__t. You have to adapt to a new system and your new boss isn't exactly inspiring confidence. You disagree with everything that is happening and you know you are better than this. I'm frustrated imagining myself in that situation at work.

Everyone knew that UNT had to adjust for expectations this year. If we hired a coach that couldn't get a handle on that? That is on the admin. Crazy that a career assistant couldn't command a locker room full of talented guys who liked the old coach with skins on the wall.

• Upvote 1

I would be interested in knowing how Kaspar's interview went last spring.............He did get one, right?

Rick

In all honsety, I think if Kaspar would have been hired, we would have seen a mass-exodus of players almost immediately. He would have been a nice hire if we were in a 'bare cupboard' scenario with no expectations, but we weren't.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

RV do you have GUT’s to FIRE Benford, or cost UNT Millions and TM Millions?

RV, Here the reality. Our old coach Johnny Jones who many continue to say couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag just beat Seaton Hall at his new home LSU. The Tiger’s are 5-0. Many will say why continue to refer to JJ on the MGB about UNT, he’s gone. The reason, I need a point of reference to compare our team’s potential in 2012-13 with the right coach to what we’ve been given by hiring coach Benford and the system he’s trying to install, if any, what it is, and if it even remotely fits the talent, or lack of talent UNT posses at certain positions on the floor. JJ for all of his flaws from an X’s or O’s standpoint always installed a system that fit the strengths of the players he had available offensively or defensively. JJ’s system also masked or negated his player’s weakness as much as possible so his team’s strengths were enough to secure W’s for UNT.

I wrote this post after UTA lose, but work 2 jobs and didn’t see our last game. I did ready a few posts around 10th page and some posters saying "TM and Coleman are cry babies". Was TM a cry baby when JJ was here? Maybe there is a reason someone shows emotions that aren’t Ra, Ra, and happy go lucky when TM is seeing literally Millions fly out of his back pocket!!!

Here’s the point! The clock is ticking. Tony Mitchell will only be here one season!! He’s NBA bound. TM is probably the most talented player in UNT history only equaled by Mean “Joe Green” and others from the 60’s, or early 70’s. Pro Salaries we’re what they were in those days. Once Mr. Mitchell’s a pro he can donate more money to UNT athletics than almost anyone who’s ever attended UNT. I guess Nora Jones could, Norm Miller Interstate Battery (his company only funds Joe Gibbs (former Washington Redskin’s coach) racing to the tune of 15 to 20 Million a year), and others, but don’t see them stepping up to the plate, I digress!! Point is Tony Mitchell will have the financial resources to do wonderful things for UNT, from a monetary standpoint, recruiting, and millions in PR now and for years to come. UNT can’t buy enough ad time, get to enough bowls games to equal Mr. Mitchell’s PR power. The problem is Coach Benford “system” change and subsequent 3 – 5 record have and I fear will continue to damage UNT basketball for years to come.

A brilliant AD in UNT’s past fired Bill Blakely. Coach Blakely had recruited Spud Webb to UNT, you may remember him. Mr. Webb was a part of the NC State team that beat U of H with “Phi Slama Jama” (Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler) for the NCAA national championship in 1983. Later Mr. Webb would go on to a productive career in the NBA with the Atlanta Hawks for years. That brilliant AD hired Tommy Newman to replace Bill Blakely and Coach Newman told Spud Webb “the up tempo game you play” doesn’t fit the half court offense I’m installing here at UNT and pulled Mr. Webb’s scholarship. Bill Blakely called Jim Valvano coach of NC State and the rest is history. This and other bonehead AD moves have kept UNT athletics in the seller for decades. It’s taken our men’s basketball program over 30 years that that point in time to become relevant. RV you to have the opportunity to be remembered in much the same light as that former UNT AD!!

I’m not happy about history repeating itself some 30 years later or at least having some similarities, but here we are like it or not!! I assure you none of us in the Mean Green Nation like what we’re facing; however, the reality is our team should be performing much better than it is. How much better, I don’t know, but with an All American that went to Amare Stoudemire and Lebron James camp and was touted as having the best camp of any of the invitees, you be the judge. Oh, you might say well what about the other players on our team? Seems to me right before Chris Jones and Jordan Williams were academically ineligible they were playing pretty good basketball without Mr. Mitchell’s talent on our team. The point is you can blame the players on our team if you wish, but the coach you hired told you he would have this team with all its talent or lack there of playing at a far different level than the mean green nation is watching now.

John Odo must be the smartest college student I’ve ever heard of, or the luckiest. Take your pick. Again, I digress.

Are you really going to give Coach Benford the benefit of the doubt and shipwreck our team with the most talented player UNT has ever seen grace it’s doorstep in the last 40 years, or maybe ever? Option B, you take bold action like Western Kentucky did last year and not accept where their coach had their team no matter the circumstances!! WKU pull the rip cord, fired coach and by the end of the year beat, guess who, UNT in the SBC Championship game. To UNT’s credit we were riddled with injuries and the ref’s all but handed WKU the game on a silver platter.

If you keep Coach Benford how many future recruiting battles do you expect him to win against Scott Cross, Johnny Jones and other coaches that come to mind? How difficult will it be for you and your promotion department to fill the Super Pit with UNT faithful as they watch our team continue to struggle? How bad will our team look this year and how will this affect Tony Mitchell. If our team hurts TM’s efforts at top lottery pick in the NBA how likely will it be that Mr. Mitchell donates his hard earned NBA dollars to UNT? UNT’s current record and on court play is sure to be much more devastating to Tony Mitchell than his trial’s and tribulations trying to attend UofM. This situation is truly costing Mr. Mitchell, or potentially costing him Million’s of dollars. If I were in this situation I’d probably miss basketball practice after my team was steam rolled by UTA.

As far as Mr. Mitchell’s character is concerned when his grades were in question, what did TM do, hit the books and get the grades necessary to be a part of our basketball team. What has TM, the other players, and UNT fans been blessed with 3-5 and a loss to a D2 school and a spanking Past that you maybe worried about Coach Benford’s buy out clause in this contract. I understand your concern. I just have one question? If you hire the right coach ASAP, and get our team playing like we know they can and make the SBC and NCAA tournaments. Then Mr. Mitchell might be in a better position to donate to UNT and one day over Coach Benford’s buy clause. I know this situation is a hard one to reconcile, but I pray you take the correct and appropriate action needed soon.

Fire coach Benford!! If he didn’t know or foresee the hot seat and microscope he’d be under by taking this job, he should have!!! The clock is ticking…what’s it going to be? No guts no glory. You to can be remember is the same light as our AD who never let Spud Webb grace the doorstep of UNT.

RV you’ve accomplished to much at UNT for your reputation to be stained like Coach Benford is accomplishing in the here and now!!!

Edited by UNTMike81
  • Upvote 3