The quality of your QB influences your play calling...

BIG DAWG

I'm really surprised that some people have a hard time understanding why the offensive gameplan is what it is...the QB is horrible.

I wouldn't call a whole lot of throws either if I had to deal w/ the inaccuracies of DT either! Even when he completes a pass it requires an acrobatic play by the reciever...with zero chance of RAC yards.

If we tried to throw the ball more, you would just end up gassing your defense and letting the other team win the field position battle and grealy increase thir possessions because we do not have a QB capable of carrying the offense.

Then people ask why hasn't Mac recruited one??? Answer: because he has been in need at almost every position...he's been restocking the whole roster...say what you will, but for the most part it's true.

I know he should have already overhauled the roster since he's been here for 5 years...oh wait...he just finished his 2ND SEASON!

Here are the roster issues I can THINK OF that he has had to deal with:

DE

DT

OLB

CB

S

FS

OL

HB

TE

WR

and yes...QB

Has he done it all? Hell no...has he been stock pilling? Hell yes...

I'm just as pissed off that we didn't win more games, but this thing is heading in the right direction

LAST POINT...the pick 6 killed us...not the play calling

Edited by BIG DAWG
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

I'm really surprised that some people have a hard time understanding why the offensive gameplan is what it is...the QB is horrible.

I wouldn't call a whole lot of throws either if I had to deal w/ the inaccuracies of DT either! Even when he completes a pass it requires an acrobatic play by the reciever...with zero chance of RAC yards.

If we tried to throw the ball more, you would just end up gassing your defense and letting the other team the field position battle and grealy increase thir possessions because we do not have a QB capable of carrying the offense.

Then people ask why hasn't Mac recruited one??? Answer: because he has been in need at almost every position...he's been restocking the whole roster...say what you will, but for the most part it's true.

I know he should have already overhauled the roster since he's been here for 5 years...oh wait...he just finished his 2ND SEASON!

DE

DT

OLB

CB

S

FS

OL

HB

TE

WR

and yes...QB

I'm just as pissed off that we didn't win more games, but this thing is heading in the right direction

Ya, your right. No need to restock the most important position on the team first, right? No, lets wait 2 years to start there.

Jeez...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If we tried to throw the ball more, you would just end up gassing your defense and letting the other team win the field position battle and grealy increase thir possessions because we do not have a QB capable of carrying the offense.

DE

DT

OLB

CB

S

FS

OL

HB

TE

WR

and yes...QB

the if it is the player talent level, why is he playing so conservative with so much time on the board, when we can't stop their offense...maybe we should just tell the other team what plays we are going to run...we are just about doing that now.

and, BTW, Mac getting the big bucks to fix this issue.

A. I would have loved to see him get a QB by now too, but it would have been a miracle for him to pull in a top-notch QB in his first class because, w/ it being "the most important position" and all, it is hard to get in on the good ones late in the game. His second recruiting class, you have an argument, but sometimes you strike out. I would rather not sign one than sign two that eat a scholly and aren't worth a crap

B. He is getting the "big bucks" to fix this issue, and I would argue he is doing just that.

C. The QB situation may be fixed, see Berglund, but I won't declare that until he proves it on the field. Which from what i hear from people who are around the team, he will prove it.

• Upvote 1

Nonsense on a lot of levels. If an HC does not think his QB is capable, he gets another one and McCarney had an opportunity to do that.

I am afraid McCarney is playing his game, and ten new QB's is not going to change that. He is ultra conservative and he is going to play the kind of game you saw today if he gets in the lead.

Stockpiling means that you are holding back players for future years, I don't think McCarney is doing that. He is redshirting players because they are injured or they are not good enough to play.

Overhauling the roster with better players maybe the objective, but thus far I have seen very few signs of that happening. McCarney's class unless something drastically changes, will be the lowest rated in Texas. You can say the rating agencies suck, but it is still far from encouraging.

I and all fans would like to believe McCarney is turning the corner, but results are the only thing that counts. Wishing and hoping and McCarney saying it is true, does not mean it is happening.

• Upvote 1

If DT wasn't able to get it done then Mac should have given a shot to somebody else at QB. It's not just about winning but rather about being able to recruit for future seasons. As long as we have bad seasons recruits will be less likely choosing to play for North Texas.

I know every arm chair coach out there thinks Osborn is better, but I'm still thinking Mac would be letting him play if he was. DT sadly may be the best we have right now

I know every arm chair coach out there thinks Osborn is better, but I'm still thinking Mac would be letting him play if he was. DT sadly may be the best we have right now

I try not to be an arm chair QB but it will always be the unknown. While I don't doubt that DT could be the best option we have we'll just never know because neither Osborne nor any body else was given the shot to try at least.

• Upvote 1

Nonsense on a lot of levels. If an HC does not think his QB is capable, he gets another one and McCarney had an opportunity to do that.

I am afraid McCarney is playing his game, and ten new QB's is not going to change that. He is ultra conservative and he is going to play the kind of game you saw today if he gets in the lead.

Stockpiling means that you are holding back players for future years, I don't think McCarney is doing that. He is redshirting players because they are injured or they are not good enough to play.

Overhauling the roster with better players maybe the objective, but thus far I have seen very few signs of that happening. McCarney's class unless something drastically changes, will be the lowest rated in Texas. You can say the rating agencies suck, but it is still far from encouraging.

I and all fans would like to believe McCarney is turning the corner, but results are the only thing that counts. Wishing and hoping and McCarney saying it is true, does not mean it is happening.

Trice, Warner, Jimmerson, Akunne, Harris, Lemon, Whitfield, etc.

I was told tonight by a guy close enough to the program to believe, that DTs been playing on an injured plant foot/ankle since Kansas St. He told me in this in defense of Mac and the offense.... If true I question Mac even more.

That's the good thing about Thompson I guess, he has always thrown off his back foot anyway, so an injury to his plant foot/ankle wouldn't really matter

• Upvote 1

Trice, Warner, Jimmerson, Akunne, Harris, Lemon, Whitfield, etc.

Chancellor, Orr, Johnson, Bellazin, Fortenberry, Boutwell, Abbe, etc

Every coach finds players, it is a question of how many and how good

If you really analyse the team you will see that NT does not have an usually or maybe even the usual amount of young players making contributions, especially if you subsribe to the McCarney view that the cupboard was really bare

Just because a player gets field time doesn't mean he is good, it only mean he is better than the other players on the team.

NT recruited a QB hard last year, he just picked AFA at the last minute. This is what happens when your program is a doormat for nearly a decade.

Next season is put up or shut up time. BB is now in the on deck circle, I'm hoping he shows enough to take the job from DT. I have a feeling this staff has all their eggs in the BB basket...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

NT recruited a QB hard last year, he just picked AFA at the last minute. This is what happens when your program is a doormat for nearly a decade.

Next season is put up or shut up time. BB is now in the on deck circle, I'm hoping he shows enough to take the job from DT. I have a feeling this staff has all their eggs in the BB basket...

100% agree...there are several offensive pieces coming in next season that I'm sure these coaches are hoping pan out

Baloney. After the pick six the score was 24-16 in our favor. The defense has the option of protecting the lead just as much as the offense does in extending the lead. The defense didn't protect the lead and the offense didn't produce more points, so both units shared in blowing the game.

Before the game, the argument from DT's detractors was the he is inaccurate...though he complete 70+% in this game.

DT isn't the problem. The problem is he's got nothing but walk-ons to throw to at WR with Chancellor out. That he will finish the season a higher completion % than last year despite the problems at WR show the opposite of what his detractors believe - he is a fine QB.

I like Derek Thompson as a QB and hope he stays and wins the job. I'd really like to see him have more than one bona fide receiver to throw to in a season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

First off, the plant foot/ankle is the back foot. Secondly, players are given a redshirt for many reasons. Stating that they aren't good enough is ridiculous. Why recruit them in the first place if you think that? Usually, they are given a redshirt to provide depth, something we have been sorely lacking for many years.

;

I also question those that claim Mac is conservative? Maybe that was his only choice considering the number of skill position players that were injured this year. The man was faced with a monumental task when he arrived and next year we should start seeing the fruits of his labor.

Last, I am a firm believer that you cannot rate a class until they have graduated. Dodge's first class had us all excited and was pretty highly rated for us. Where are they now and how would you rate them? I don't think very high...or maybe so, but not THAT high.

Edited by UNTLifer

If DT wasn't able to get it done then Mac should have given a shot to somebody else at QB. It's not just about winning but rather about being able to recruit for future seasons. As long as we have bad seasons recruits will be less likely choosing to play for North Texas.

Exactly. We had Scotty hanging around spring ball a lot, but for whatever reason, he isn't here. But I am starting to believe this issue is nailed above by Lonnie.

Baloney. After the pick six the score was 24-16 in our favor. The defense has the option of protecting the lead just as much as the offense does in extending the lead. The defense didn't protect the lead and the offense didn't produce more points, so both units shared in blowing the game.

Before the game, the argument from DT's detractors was the he is inaccurate...though he complete 70+% in this game.

DT isn't the problem. The problem is he's got nothing but walk-ons to throw to at WR with Chancellor out. That he will finish the season a higher completion % than last year despite the problems at WR show the opposite of what his detractors believe - he is a fine QB.

I like Derek Thompson as a QB and hope he stays and wins the job. I'd really like to see him have more than one bona fide receiver to throw to in a season.

DT has always had timing problems. The ball comes out too late and thats why our receivers get drilled after the catch. He does NOT go through progressions and telegraphs his throws therefore never seeing wide open receivers. Today, #1 was standing in the endzone wide open. DT is the largest problem on offense. The only way this team will win more than 5-6 games is with a good QB that makes plays.

First off, the plant foot/ankle is the back foot. Secondly, players are given a redshirt for many reasons. Stating that they aren't good enough is ridiculous. Why recruit them in the first place if you think that? Usually, they are given a redshirt to provide depth, something we have been sorely lacking for many years.

;

I also question those that claim Mac is conservative? Maybe that was his only choice considering the number of skill position players that were injured this year. The man was faced with a monumental task when he arrived and next year we should start seeing the fruits of his labor.

Last, I am a firm believer that you cannot rate a class until they have graduated. Dodge's first class had us all excited and was pretty highly rated for us. Where are they now and how would you rate them? I don't think very high...or maybe so, but not THAT high.

Players are redshirted because the year off benefits them more than the value of playing them in the staff's view. Most freshmen fall into that group unless the team is very weak at a position or they are very talented.

I strongly disagree with anyone who believes that McCarney is stockpiling players. Anyone eligible the coaches thought could significantly help this team would be playing. A lot of the reshirts are injury related: Horton, Lancaster, Prior, Warner, Feldt and others.

If you have watched all year and don't think McCarney is conservative than I sure am not going to convince you.

As far as rating classes till after they graduate, that works but it sure cuts down on conversation. If NT played like a lot of fans continually rate the recruits, than NT wouldn't have 7 straight losing seasons.