OUCH...

bjrichus

My point anyway is that I get the vibe from Mac that he truly wants to turn this program around; like it's his retirement project. At his age, this is his last stop and I doubt he'll go anywhere else.

Then he needs to start out-recruiting and out-coaching some people. And he needs to turn the offense totally over to Canales.

....and with the FOURTH STRING QB who had a hard cast on his non-throwing hand and nerve damage in his throwing elbow...no less.

Rick

What Canales did with so little those 5 games was truly amazing. It's like he is being muzzled under McCarney and not allowed to do what he does best with the offense. He is told that the philosophy is run first and be conservative. His game plan against FAU in Dodge's last year was absolutely brilliant. Both games against KSU he gave them all they could handle offensively. What most impressed me was the way he campaigned for the H.C. job at UNT. If we lost Mac I think Canales is the logical choice. I have never seen the fire in Mac's team that Canales' team showed. Mac has plenty of fire himself but he must transmit that to his players. I saw a defense that quit at times, receivers give up on routes, and way too many fair catches this past year. That is not Canales style. It comes from the top.

• Upvote 2

What Canales did with so little those 5 games was truly amazing. It's like he is being muzzled under McCarney and not allowed to do what he does best with the offense. He is told that the philosophy is run first and be conservative. His game plan against FAU in Dodge's last year was absolutely brilliant. Both games against KSU he gave them all they could handle offensively. What most impressed me was the way he campaigned for the H.C. job at UNT. If we lost Mac I think Canales is the logical choice. I have never seen the fire in Mac's team that Canales' team showed. Mac has plenty of fire himself but he must transmit that to his players. I saw a defense that quit at times, receivers give up on routes, and way too many fair catches this past year. That is not Canales style. It comes from the top.

No it really was not. Look at the winning trends of teams with Head Coaches fired mid season happens a lot.

I will be pissed if Canales is not fired this year for not preparing the Offense correctly. By the way Canales is the one that prepares the offense did they look consistent or prepared, no. His ass should be on the next bus out of town. Canales was forced on Coach Mac.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

No it really was not. Look at the winning trends of teams with Head Coaches fired mid season happens a lot.

I will be pissed if Canales is not fired this year for not preparing the Offense correctly. By the way Canales is the one that prepares the offense did they look consistent or prepared, no. His ass should be on the next bus out of town. Canales was forced on Coach Mac.

If this is destined to happen (Canales getting fired), any thoughts on what kind of timing we're looking at? Is this something that's generally done almost immediately after the season is over or could it happen later?

I don't know about the whole "Canales was forced on Coach Mac" thing. . . . but he should be one of the last coaches on this staff whose job is in jeapordy.

• Upvote 1

I know! Canales has so much to work with this season too. We should be putting up 50+ a game. We have game breaking rb's, the best QB in the belt by a mile, and wrs who can make any QB look like a star! Fire Canales!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If this is destined to happen (Canales getting fired), any thoughts on what kind of timing we're looking at? Is this something that's generally done almost immediately after the season is over or could it happen later?

A coordinator might be held to sometime after National Signing Day, depending on recruits, and could be much earlier.

I know! Canales has so much to work with this season too. We should be putting up 50+ a game. We have game breaking rb's, the best QB in the belt by a mile, and wrs who can make any QB look like a star! Fire Canales!

But the head coach should be fired under the same circumstances?

I don't think this was Canales' fault. Furthermore, I think the guy is a asset who sticks by us and won't be going anywhere. I like our staff.

Seems to me the offense was very inconsistent, and Mike made it clear in the third person that Coach Canales will be a head coach somewhere. Too bad no one wants him as head coach. I guess I miss how he sticks by us, seems he has a lack of options. I think UNT will be opening his options up this spring by showing him the door.

I saw a poorly prepared Offense that rarely performed on the field, but did very well in big games against KState and LSU but was illprepared against a sad houston and Troy. I put this squarely on the Offensive Coordinator!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seems to me the offense was very inconsistent, and Mike made it clear in the third person that Coach Canales will be a head coach somewhere. Too bad no one wants him as head coach. I guess I miss how he sticks by us, seems he has a lack of options. I think UNT will be opening his options up this spring by showing him the door.

I saw a poorly prepared Offense that rarely performed on the field, but did very well in big games against KState and LSU but was illprepared against a sad houston and Troy. I put this squarely on the Offensive Coordinator!

Troy game was squarely on a piss-poor kicking performance and coach McCarney's decisions to go for it on 4th&10+ twice inside FG range. No possible way blame can be placed anywhere else.

Troy game was squarely on a piss-poor kicking performance and coach McCarney's decisions to go for it on 4th&10+ twice inside FG range. No possible way blame can be placed anywhere else.

Really because I saw an offense in the red zone fail to execute on 5 or 6 different drives, further I saw balls overthrown by 20 feet plus, receivers drop balls, and more. To top it off I did not see Troy's Defense creating the problem, we were doing it to ourselves. Yes when the Offense failed each time in the Red Zone the kickers also failed, but only after our offense kicked its own ass.

• Upvote 2

Canales wasnt forced on Mac, they are good family friends. They have been real close since they were both at USF. Canales isnt going anywhere, by his decision and definitely not being let go. Coordinators being let go after signing day? Waiting to let him go in Feb, after your last game was in November? That makes a lot of sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Really because I saw an offense in the red zone fail to execute on 5 or 6 different drives, further I saw balls overthrown by 20 feet plus, receivers drop balls, and more. To top it off I did not see Troy's Defense creating the problem, we were doing it to ourselves. Yes when the Offense failed each time in the Red Zone the kickers also failed, but only after our offense kicked its own ass.

We're not going to score a TD every time we're in the red zone. However, we should at least get FG's. If the red zone FG's were hit (all 5 of them), we would not be bringing this game up.

I definitely wont argue with you about overthrown balls. Those were happening everwhere, not just in the red zone. That is not on Canales either though.

• Upvote 1

Canales wasnt forced on Mac, they are good family friends. They have been real close since they were both at USF. Canales isnt going anywhere, by his decision and definitely not being let go. Coordinators being let go after signing day? Waiting to let him go in Feb, after your last game was in November? That makes a lot of sense.

Family is back, great!

We're not going to score a TD every time we're in the red zone. However, we should at least get FG's. If the red zone FG's were hit (all 5 of them), we would not be bringing this game up.

I definitely wont argue with you about overthrown balls. Those were happening everwhere, not just in the red zone. That is not on Canales either though.

I would say if they could prepare for KState and have DT hit something like 19 of 21 passes, the offensive line do wonders and the entire offense look pretty well oiled, they should be able to look well oiled against teams like Texas Southern, Houston, and Troy but they looked far from it. That is preparation, that is on Canales in my book hands down no questions asked.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 1