OUCH...

bjrichus

I would say if they could prepare for KState and have DT hit something like 19 of 21 passes, the offensive line do wonders and the entire offense look pretty well oiled, they should be able to look well oiled against teams like Texas Southern, Houston, and Troy but they looked far from it. That is preparation, that is on Canales in my book hands down no questions asked.

So the head coach is not responsible for preparation?

FIRE DT!! Oh wait, he's not being paid!?!?!?!

Then what the heck is the issue here? Get a new QB and we start winning some games.

I can't wait to see Brock Berglund-- the way he is portrayed on here he surely will come out with a "S" on his chest and a cape. How many years since he played? Has he EVER taken a D-1 snap? If he viewed the old NU QB, Buffalo H.C., and K.U. head coach as a maker of great QBs--can this guy have much upstairs?? Sure bet that he won't graduate ahead of time and have a master's before he leaves here like the present QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can't wait to see Brock Berglund-- the way he is portrayed on here he surely will come out with a "S" on his chest and a cape. How many years since he played? Has he EVER taken a D-1 snap? If he viewed the old NU QB, Buffalo H.C., and K.U. head coach as a maker of great QBs--can this guy have much upstairs?? Sure bet that he won't graduate ahead of time and have a master's before he leaves here like the present QB.

I'm sick and tired of the "How many years since he played? Has he EVER taken a D-1 snap?" argument on this guy... If he's a player, he can play.

Brandon Weeden probably had to answer these same questions huh? Seems to have worked pretty well for OSU. And what's great about Berglund, unlike Weeden, is that he's been practicing football the entire time!

I'm excited to see what Berglund can do. I hope he comes in and blows the coaches away. I guess we'll have to wait until the spring (at the earliest) to find out. We know what we have in DT. Hopefully he and the rest of his teammates improve over the offseason.

• Upvote 1

So the head coach is not responsible for preparation?

Yes the Head Coach is responsible as part of the whole, but it is the Offensive Coordinator first, if he can't do it then Head Coach should make a change and that is where I think we are at. We will see

Edited by KingDL1

Yes the Head Coach is responsibe as part of the whole, but it is the Offensive Coordinator first, if he can't do it then Head Coach should make a change and that is where I think we are at. We will see

I think you grossly overestimate how much power and responsibility Coach Chico is allowed under the current regime.

• Upvote 1

What Canales did with so little those 5 games was truly amazing. It's like he is being muzzled under McCarney and not allowed to do what he does best with the offense. He is told that the philosophy is run first and be conservative. His game plan against FAU in Dodge's last year was absolutely brilliant. Both games against KSU he gave them all they could handle offensively. What most impressed me was the way he campaigned for the H.C. job at UNT. If we lost Mac I think Canales is the logical choice. I have never seen the fire in Mac's team that Canales' team showed. Mac has plenty of fire himself but he must transmit that to his players. I saw a defense that quit at times, receivers give up on routes, and way too many fair catches this past year. That is not Canales style. It comes from the top.

i don't think canales was restricted all that much here. i remembered seeing somewhere that usf fans were posting similar things about canales being predictable in his time there and when i couldn't find the posts anywhere i just started my own asking them if the things we bitch about are the same things they bitched about. almost all said that they were. one even posted a link to the univ of arizona board that said the same thing as us also. heres the link to the usf board and a quote from the u of a board that i thought sounded familiar.

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?/topic/89174-question-about-a-former-offensive-coordinator/#entry1099500

quote from u of a board member.

With Canales the pass was non existent and overall offensive totals were sub 300. Now pass is predominant with 300+ total offense the norm and scoring up from 20 to 30 ppg. Now the offense puts us in the game and provides opportunities to win, whereas, the previous offense controlled the clock but did not score. That didn't keep the Cats in the game. To sit there and call for the reinstituting of an offense that WASN'T working is completely ludicrous.

I think you grossly overestimate how much power and responsibility Coach Chico is allowed under the current regime.

I am talking preparation, and I am told that is all him! So I feel pretty good with my idea of responsibility.

We're not going to score a TD every time we're in the red zone. However, we should at least get FG's. If the red zone FG's were hit (all 5 of them), we would not be bringing this game up.

I definitely wont argue with you about overthrown balls. Those were happening everwhere, not just in the red zone. That is not on Canales either though.

Is he not the QB's Coach?

• Upvote 2

Is he not the QB's Coach?

Are you kidding?!?

Yes, he's the QB's coach, but he cannot get out there and throw the ball for him. Thompson is a sub-par SBC QB. I wonder what Canales could do with a guy like Broadway.

We have a fantastic O-Line. Canales doesn't get any credit for that?

We have 3 RB's who, through smoke & mirrors, were able to alleviate the loss of one of, if not the best, RB's in school history. Canales doesn't get any credit for that?

We have a sub-par QB. Of course, Canales gets the blame for this!

We have sub-par receivers (sans Chancellor). Is Canales also to blame for this?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1