OT: Boise, SDSU and BYU back to MWC?

KoldBeer

Per ESPN story, Boise St, SDSU and BYU are talking about going back to the MWC. I think the pressure is on the Big East to get a big TV deal but that'll be really hard since they'll most likely lose at least one member. This is going to get real interesting.

Boise State, San Diego State and BYU have had conversations with Mountain West membership about the possibility of returning to the league, sources told ESPN.

These talks originated after last week's decision in Denver by the BCS commissioners awarded an automatic access bowl berth to the highest rated champion to the "Group of Five" conferences. That decision, in essence, put the Mountain West on equal footing as far as playoff access with the Big East starting in 2014.

Sources said Monday those talks are expected to bring on greater significance after Maryland announced it was leaving the ACC for the Big Ten. ESPN reported Rutgers will announce it's leaving the Big East on Tuesday so the Big East will lose Rutgers and then potentially either UConn or Louisville to the ACC.

With the Big East losing two more schools and having the same playoff access as the Mountain West, Boise State and San Diego State are considering their options. One of the main reasons both schools opted to join the Big East was for more television revenue with the Big East as opposed to the Mountain West.

Rest of story: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8653727/boise-state-broncos-sdsu-aztecs-byu-cougars-talk-mwc-return-sources-say

So, let's talk purely hypothetical.

BE steals ECU and Southern Miss (or Marshall or, or, or).

BYU, SDSU, and Boise return to MWC.

MWC calls. Do you go?

(I know it would be very unlikely. As in 1% chance, but just for fun.)

Would you give up the regional teams we have wanted for so long in order to play in a better conference?

Without question. Especially since Tulsa already got the same call, and they're going too.

MWC calls. Do you go?

Would you give up the regional teams we have wanted for so long in order to play in a better conference?

Yes..in a NY minute

MWC calls. Do you go?

Without a doubt. I for one have always been a proponent of the MWC as I just have always thought it was the best conference that wasn't a BCS one. And if Boise and all those guys go back then it should be a no brainer and I seriously hope RV looks at the big picture and future and really hopes and starts trying to persuade the MWC to give us an invite.

I was around during our days in the Big West with Idaho, Boise State, Nevada (Reno), Utah State, and New Mexico State. I hated going west and hope we would not accept any invitation to go west again - even to the MWC.

I think it's a really different sports landscape now. The betterment of the program I think will not only lie on what schools the average person will know but also the strength of the conference. Overall from top to bottom the competition and perception of the MWC with those possible additions would be a much better fit in my opinion.

I think it's a really different sports landscape now. The betterment of the program I think will not only lie on what schools the average person will know but also the strength of the conference. Overall from top to bottom the competition and perception of the MWC with those possible additions would be a much better fit in my opinion.

No, uniform patches don't make that much difference. Utah State is still Utah State. San Jose State is still San Jose State.

Furthermore, look at the "perception" of CUSA minus SMU, Houston, et al but with the new schools and it is perceived to have declined. If uniform patches made that much difference, then NT would automatically be perceived as being equal to where Houston was last year. We're not. It's the schools that matter - not the uniform patches. Put the right schools together and you have a good conference no matter what it is called. Putting bad schools together and calling it the B1G won't make them better.

You move to the MWC If and only if we can get multiple schools from Texas to move also. TCU had decades of SWC history to pull from. We don't. We need regional rivals.

• Upvote 1

No, uniform patches don't make that much difference. Utah State is still Utah State. San Jose State is still San Jose State.

Furthermore, look at the "perception" of CUSA minus SMU, Houston, et al but with the new schools and it is perceived to have declined. If uniform patches made that much difference, then NT would automatically be perceived as being equal to where Houston was last year. We're not. It's the schools that matter - not the uniform patches. Put the right schools together and you have a good conference no matter what it is called. Putting bad schools together and calling it the B1G won't make them better.

You move to the MWC If and only if we can get multiple schools from Texas to move also. TCU had decades of SWC history to pull from. We don't. We need regional rivals.

You bring up Utah State and San Jose State but fail to bring up Boise, BYU, SDSU, Fresno, Colorado State etc. On the whole from top to bottom I think the MWC would be the better option. Region rivals will mean squat if we constantly win 2-4 games every year and have constant threads every week talking about how we're rebuilding from ground up, cupboard was bear, we're next year's team etc. At the end of the day if you win that is all that matters and people will come to the stadium. We don't HAVE to have multiple Texas schools to be in the MWC if the conference is better and we're able to play better competition and better perceived competition. Filling up the stadium starts with winning and our own alumni, students etc.

If the MWC adds BYU, SDSU, and Boise they would only need UTEP to get to 14. If you are the MWC why add any Central Time Zone schools?

To get access to bigger TV markets. Grabbing Houson and DFW would be huge for their league. Get UH and UNT and you get the biggest public schools in two huge markets.