UNT's 4th yr. mistake still lingers

Harry

Oh I know it's not a great example & im certaintley not trying to compare the 2 , just sharing the article

I think Mac just needs to be more open on getting a few to help out , which it now looks he is willing too

I believe he stated when he got the job that JUCOs were not a option. To me , that limits a already limited field on what types of kids we can land here

I thought, given the thread, that this was about the Dodge JUCO binge, not using them as a talent resource going forward.

If the point is that McCarney shouldn't take JUCO players off the recruiting table... Bring your petition to the game on Saturday, and I'll definitely sign it. :P

I thought, given the thread, that this was about the Dodge JUCO binge, not using them as a talent resource going forward.

If the point is that McCarney shouldn't take JUCO players off the recruiting table... Bring your petition to the game on Saturday, and I'll definitely sign it. :P

I didn't want to start a whole new thread so I just stuck it in this one. Honestly I just skimmed thru the article assuming it was about the succes of k state thru juco's. That's what I get for playing trains & tryin to post at the same time.

I guess the The appropriate message w/ the link provided should have said "the good & bad of JUCO signings"

Virtual fist bump

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

Excellent post. I have said that UNT made a huge mistake giving Dodge that fourth season when it was apparent he was never going to get it going. Doing so would've allowed the new coach to at least lay a foundation during the final years at Fouts before opening Apogee. Instead, the worst possible scenario occurred. Dodge was fired midseason and UNT had to open a new stadium with another rebuilding project.

I'd bet the farm that the biggest reason Dodge WAS given a fourth year was Apogee wasn't complete. Let's say that Dodge was fired the year earlier and we go 5-7 or worse, would we have put as many in the stands for the Houston Apogee game as we did? A first year coach generates much more excitement and attendance than a coach in the midst of a rebuilding project.

And to be fair to Todd Dodge, Apogee would not have been built without him, his enthusiasm, and his connections. Despite being incredibly unsuccessful, he brought a great deal of excitement and positiivity to the program.

• Upvote 3

I go with the theory that Dodge was given another year because the student fee wouldn't kick in until the stadium was finished, and we needed the extra funding to increase coach salaries to attract better candidates - not just the head coach, but also the assistant coaches.

And - while the jury is still out on Dan Mac, would he have considered any HC gig a year earlier?

• Upvote 1

I go with the theory that Dodge was given another year because the student fee wouldn't kick in until the stadium was finished, and we needed the extra funding to increase coach salaries to attract better candidates - not just the head coach, but also the assistant coaches.

And - while the jury is still out on Dan Mac, would he have considered any HC gig a year earlier?

Yes, he has stated time and again that he was waiting for another head coaching opportunity.

120 (or so, damn move ups) jobs in the land, a whole lot of people wanting those jobs. This was no excuse for keeping Dodge around for year 4.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1