ULL Game Crowd

BadKarma

Us alumni think that the attendance was much higher because of looking across to the student side. The alumni side was just pathetic. I'm not sure about 17k but I can say with certainty it wasnt 22 either. It was our lowest attended game of the year, not surpirsing or upsetting given the time and day of the week. A lot more there than I had expected.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I don't buy either excuses- neither time nor weather.

You are way off on this bro -- It was a real nice crowd for a Tuesday night at 8 freaking PM start -- we aren't Notre Dame and were a 2-4 Belt team who just got drubbed at Houston. Much Kudos to the students who were loud and proud.

As an aside, I wonder who counts the totals sometimes I really do... that had to be at least 20K in that game last night yet our counters claim that we had more at the home game against MUTS last season??? Who EXACTLY is doing the counting and more importantly WHO certifies the number? I would love to know the answer to this.

This was a nice chapter for this - at times - frustrating program. Nice turnout for a weeknight game and the team delivers the goods. No room for cynicism on last nights effort in my book. GMG!

I think last night proved, as I suspected, that ticket price has really nothing to do with attendance. I can't wait for some of our current student to graduate and join us on the alumni side. That's the only thing that's going to get this attendance thing turned around.

• Upvote 3

Considering how hard the Athletic Department promoted this game, the turnout of only 17,000 was disapointing, especially on the alumni side.If you think 65 degrees is cold,see a doctor. You have serious circulatory problems.

The problem was it got much cooler after dark. I bought a sweatshirt, as did several in my party. Girls got cold and left shortly after halftime. I don't blame them. They were upset later, having missed the best part of the game. Luckily, we rode seperately.

I disagree with you. 17k on a Tuesday night following a soul crushing loss at Houston, which led to a pregame record of 2-4 for a school that hasn't had a winning season in 8 years is pretty damn good. Watch the next Tuesday night game. It should change your perspective.

Whoever had the idea to shut down all dorm cafaterias and force the students on the meal plan to come to the Apogee parking lot to eat if they wanted to use the meal plan should receive a huge pat on the back. You can't force them to go inside, but you can damn well make them eat only a couple hundred yards away from the stadium gate. Damn good idea.

• Upvote 2

Good crowd last night for sure. Thank you to the students who give us homefield advantage at Apogee! Their involvement this year has been absolutely tremendous! How many false starts have we seen opponents have this season...particularly in the first half of games at Apogee?

Excellent crowd and atmosphere last night in Denton for an 8:00pm start on a Tuesday night. Absolute gut-check performance by our football program on national TV and it sure feels good today after that win. Hopefully that win gives us some confidence and serves as a springboard of momentum heading up to Murfeesboro.

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 1

Considering how hard the Athletic Department promoted this game, the turnout of only 17,000 was disapointing, especially on the alumni side.If you think 65 degrees is cold,see a doctor. You have serious circulatory problems.

Most of the marketing was to the students and they showed up. Best student turnout so far. And they had 20K at the game, but our counting severely shortchanges us, yet again. My Dad asked me if it was a sellout because it looked like it on ESPN.

17K on a Tuesday night game that was late as hell was good. I expected better, but I'm satisfied with the turnout. People left at halftime because it was 11 o'clock and it got freezing cold. Made sense. I had no problem. Students stayed for the most part and it was a late night party. People wanted to rush the field but held back (thank God).

The students will keep showing up. And once these students graduate, they'll keep buying seats. It's fun to watch the student dedication grow since I got here in 2010. 6K-7K is pretty impressive and is on par with a lot of school's student sections. If you look at UH, they may pull 30K but then pull 2K students. The student section is loud and right on top of the away, and gives us a MASSIVE homefield advantage. Especially when UL-Losers band kept playing our chants. LOL!

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

As an aside, I wonder who counts the totals sometimes I really do... that had to be at least 20K in that game last night yet our counters claim that we had more at the home game against MUTS last season??? Who EXACTLY is doing the counting and more importantly WHO certifies the number? I would love to know the answer to this.

Please ask this next time you guys interview him. While the count appears inflated more ofen than not, there are other times it it is clearly low.

Last night I brought an Iowa State alum to his first NT game. He thought the stadium was great and commented on how the crowd appeared to fill in about halfway through the first quarter. He got some food and drink and walk around more than I did. He was in a tshirt the whole game. We were on the alumni side, top row of the lower bowl. I was feeling cold towed the end, but cerainly not bad.

Please ask this next time you guys interview him. While the count appears inflated more ofen than not, there are other times it it is clearly low.

Last night I brought an Iowa State alum to his first NT game. He thought the stadium was great and commented on how the crowd appeared to fill in about halfway through the first quarter. He got some food and drink and walk around more than I did. He was in a tshirt the whole game. We were on the alumni side, top row of the lower bowl. I was feeling cold towed the end, but cerainly not bad.

This year all the games have been severely undercounted, except maybe the Southern game. Last year they seemed heavily inflated. We had 22K for Southern, 25K for Troy and 20K for the ULL game.

Edited by meangreener

I thought the student side was the best since the Houston game. However, their band and fans took up a pretty good amount of space.

The alumni side was pathetic. I understand why, but I felt my section (205) was really empty. C'mon 205, step it up!

It did seem really loud. I can only dream about what it'd be like if it ever is 90-100% full. On that note, it was really great when they had those two false starts on 3rd down early in the game and the crowd seemed to feed off of it and got louder. Of course, they ended up converting on 3rd and looongg which was equally deflating.

One last thing and I could be way off base here, but for the longest time UNT was known as a commuter school and I assume that's still largely true. Factor in the number of part-time students taking night classes, grad students, and other general students that don't care much about athletics (cultural factors), and the number of "students" could be down closer to the 20k mark. If we're getting the majority of those showing up then I think that's not bad.

I thought the student side was the best since the Houston game. However, their band and fans took up a pretty good amount of space.

The alumni side was pathetic. I understand why, but I felt my section (205) was really empty. C'mon 205, step it up!

It did seem really loud. I can only dream about what it'd be like if it ever is 90-100% full. On that note, it was really great when they had those two false starts on 3rd down early in the game and the crowd seemed to feed off of it and got louder. Of course, they ended up converting on 3rd and looongg which was equally deflating.

One last thing and I could be way off base here, but for the longest time UNT was known as a commuter school and I assume that's still largely true. Factor in the number of part-time students taking night classes, grad students, and other general students that don't care much about athletics (cultural factors), and the number of "students" could be down closer to the 20k mark. If we're getting the majority of those showing up then I think that's not bad.

UNT isn't much of a commuter school anymore and that's why the students show up. Filling up half of the stadium with 6K students is more than most non-AQ and even some AQ schools do. Look at Houston, they brought, what, 400/500 students to their game versus us and even less last week?

Edited by meangreener

I am glad the student side was mostly full and they mostly stayed until the end. My group all stayed until the very end. I have no voice today. If I offended anyone in sections 208 or 205, sorry.

Do you need to apologize to all your fans out there.

Good crowd last night for sure. Thank you to the students who give us homefield advantage at Apogee! Their involvement this year has been absolutely tremendous! How many false starts have we seen opponents have this season...particularly in the first half of games at Apogee?

And thank you to the alumni who yell thier heads off and have no voice today too, right?

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 1

My only comment on here is that it was NOT cold. At all. I was shirtless the whole night and walked out drenched in sweat (and sweaty body paint). If you were cold, you aren't doing it right.

• Downvote 1

The draw of the UNT ticket is still not there. My son played a 7:30 8th grade game and I could not get anyone to take my 4 free tickets and parking pass. A Tuesday night game kinda late for kids when you factor in drive time for those of us further down the road. We keep a good football product out there and they will come and fill the seats not used by ticket holders. I tried hard to give those tickets away.

• Upvote 2

Oh, and if anyone saw two dude's with ridiculous face paint and an N and T painted on us, that was me. We had a U, but long story short, he forgot his ticket kn our room, walked back with another friend to get it, and other friend proceeded to vomit all over our room. So, the U got sucked into cleaning puke instead of attending.

Oh, and if anyone saw two dude's with ridiculous face paint and an N and T painted on us, that was me. We had a U, but long story short, he forgot his ticket kn our room, walked back with another friend to get it, and other friend proceeded to vomit all over our room. So, the U got sucked into cleaning puke instead of attending.

well, it could have been worse... he could have been painted with the 'N'

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

You are way off on this bro -- It was a real nice crowd for a Tuesday night at 8 freaking PM start -- we aren't Notre Dame and were a 2-4 Belt team who just got drubbed at Houston. Much Kudos to the students who were loud and proud.

This was a nice chapter for this - at times - frustrating program. Nice turnout for a weeknight game and the team delivers the goods. No room for cynicism on last nights effort in my book. GMG!

Enter the voice of reason.

• Upvote 1

17k looked about right, far from the 25k some on here guaranteed.

It's easy to think it's more just by looking at the student section though. I went over to the student section at the start of the 2nd half and looked at the view from there. The alumni section looked pretty vacant from that standpoint. There were vast sections of empty seats-at least 3 whole empty sections on the alumni side where it was easy to tell nobody was sitting there at any point of the game.

I think we can conclude that we don't need to cheapen the value of the tickets anymore. The tickets were already cheap enough before the 2 for 10 promotion.

There is one promotion that trumps all: WINNING!

All things considered, 17k was great for a late Tuesday night and the students did their part to try and make up for the alumni side.

• Upvote 2

Cold or not, think about this for a second. We struggle to get people in seats for a 6 pm Saturday evening game with perfect weather...that's not televised.

Given that information, what makes you think attendance would increase for an 8pm Tuesday game that is on national televesion?

Just doesn't make any sense.

Our A.D. takes these Tuesday games on ESPN to not get people in the seats, but to expose our program to a national audience. So hopefully, people tuned in last night and enjoyed the great game that occurred.

• Upvote 1

I would like to add that the student sections is MILES away from where it has been from probably 2005 - present day. I'm not a student anymore, but whatever the A.D. is doing to encourage student attendance seems to be working. Looks like from what I saw on TV last night and from the couple games I've attended at Apogee that the student section and season ticket sections have sort of flip flopped. Season ticket sections seem to be pretty bare these days.

Hopefully the student support carries over to basketball and the A.D. is riding the momentum of being #2 ranked mid major and having the #7 ranked over all player. Not going to get any easier than that to gather some student interest.

• Upvote 1