Please inform me

Dr. Seuss

I'm not crazy about the game being on Tuesday night, but if we are the only sports program in the metroplex that is on, then I say it's great for us. What do we get out of it? Well, we get a chance for the ESPN people (in particular their camera crew) to show at least the metroplex that we are not your fathers/grandfathers Fouts-field-facilities-1-AA-school anymore. Whatever lies our recruitment competitors have been saying about us, facilities wise, will be trumped by this 3+ hour infomercial for North Texas football.

It'll be up to Coach Mac and the football team to take care of the rest of the bad pub we've traditionally received.

This thread reminds me of why, after reading a typical "bitch-about-anything/everything" letter to the editor in the NT daily (back in about 1974) I turned to one of my friends and said "you know, someone could stand out on a corner close to the student union building, during the busiest time of the day, and hand out $100 bills to the passersby and someone would eventually bitch that their's was wrinkled".

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

I'm not crazy about the game being on Tuesday night, but if we are the only sports program in the metroplex that is on, then I say it's great for us. What do we get out of it? Well, we get a chance for the ESPN people (in particular their camera crew) to show at least the metroplex that we are not your fathers/grandfathers Fouts-field-facilities-1-AA-school anymore. Whatever lies our recruitment competitors have been saying about us, facilities wise, will be trumped by this 3+ hour infomercial for North Texas football.

It'll be up to Coach Mac and the football team to take care of the rest of the bad pub we've traditionally received.

This thread reminds me of why, after reading a typical "bitch-about-anything/everything" letter to the editor in the NT daily (back in about 1974) I turned to one of my friends and said "you know, someone could stand out on a corner close to the student union building, during the busiest time of the day, and had out $100 bills to the passersby and someone would eventually bitch that their's was wrinkled".

Like x100000

One factor I have not seen mentioned here is the number of students on campus during the week but home in Dallas or elsewhere on weekends. I don't know if there are a lot of fans in that group, but it couldn't hurt to have more students on campus available to come to the game.

By the way, this class of 1969 alumnus will be there.

• Upvote 3

ESPN 2 is in just about every basic cable programming packages. And I think we'd all be surprised as to how many lurkers will tune into a game like that even just for a few minutes. I frequently see myself tuning in to a random MAC or SBC game on those weeknight games. Plus having a game like that will get some love from ESPN because any good plays, highlights etc will appear in Sportscenter that night and the next morning.

I prefer a Saturday home game myself but the schedule is what it is. You can choose to support it or not to support it.

• Upvote 1

One factor I have not seen mentioned here is the number of students on campus during the week but home in Dallas or elsewhere on weekends. I don't know if there are a lot of fans in that group, but it couldn't hurt to have more students on campus available to come to the game.

By the way, this class of 1969 alumnus will be there.

This is exactly why the student section should be full. Go to the game free and get on national TV -- college student dream.

There are just over a dozen players on the roster NOT from the state of Texas; I think games like this are a big deal to them. Family and friends all over the country can tune in and watch who could never make it to Denton. It is their football game after all.

Very good point. Must be exciting for the players.

I can guarantee you that the crowd is going to be 22-24K. Guaranteed. If you don't think so, you haven't been around Denton much. They are doing a Spirit March over the bridge to all the dorms giving away a ton of free stuff, even an F-150. Apathetic fans a bust.

Unless you make the guarantee sounding like George Zimmer, it doesn't count.

Give me a Saturday home game over this. When this was first announced most on the board were upset and wanted a Saturday game regardless of tv. Now it seems that this game is great and we wouldn't have it any other way. I don't get the change in opinions.

Didn't you get the memo that questioning anything about anything was frowned upon?

• Downvote 2

Give me a Saturday home game over this. When this was first announced most on the board were upset and wanted a Saturday game regardless of tv. Now it seems that this game is great and we wouldn't have it any other way. I don't get the change in opinions.

Go with the flow, sir; go with the flow.

More people know about Tuesday night football than know about George Zimmer. And does Mens' Wearhouse carry UNT gear?

Probably not - MW is headquartered in Houston.