September Home Attendance

GrayEagle

Miami is the 16th DMA. Lafayette is 124th and Jonesboro is 180th. Both of them fell in the rankings in last years market ratings.

Before you roll your eyes at that, remember that our 5th ranked market is one of the reasons we will have different conference patches on the uni's next season.... and will be cashing a TV rights check that is about 11 times bigger than the one we did before.

No disagreement here.

Meant purely from a program perspective. Really like those two a lot better than I do ODU and FIU, but that's just a personal bias.

As a fan, I'm looking forward to the extra cash-money, for sure.

If we WIN, 22k won't be the average.

It's amazing that for how bad this program has sucked a$$ the last 7 years that we have 22k coming to games.

Win. Win games that matter. The rest takes care of itself.

For the record I gave you a +1 on this. I'm still not convinced. Are you familiar with the concept of inelastic demand?

That's what UNT feels like. We were winning during the Dickey years - a lot, with wins over SMU, Baylor, Cincinnati (granted not top tier teams, but known names nonetheless). Didn't seem to cause a noticeable blip. Now before everyone gets up in arms about how we had large crowds and stormed the field - I'm with ya, I get it, I was there too. Still wasn't a major difference in my opinion in the size of the crowds.

Enter Dodgeball. Large crowds at first, lots of losses, a fairly noticeable drop in attendance follows - but nothing like dropping off a cliff like 5K per game or something.

We follow a VERY predictable pattern here.

1.) LARGE home crowds on opening day, near 25K.

2.) LARGE crowds for parent's day. I suspect that is because there are parents there? Thanks. I thought of that myself.

3.) LARGE homecoming crowds, around 22K or so.

4.) Next games follow predictably in this sequence over time 20K, then 19K, then 18K, then 17K then maybe as bad as 15K for final game (maybe it's cold?).

5.) Exception track is if we are winning in SunBelt (substitute CUSA if you like, add an additional 1-2K per). Add 2-3K to the sequence in #4.

REPEAT THIS AD INFINITUM.

Am I wrong on this? Too cynical? Jaded by crowds of 500 during early Big West days? Please tell me where I am off on this because I could predict this pattern for the next 15 years and not be that far off in my opinion.

How do we break this cycle and expand our stadium. That's what I really want to know.