ESPN Bottom Ten

MeanGreen61

Say what you want about the quality of the TSU win, but I am of the opinion that having a record of 1-1 compared to being 0-2 at this point helps keeps us off of lists like this. If we can get wins against stronger competition all the better, but wins are wins and perception is reality.

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 3

Say what you want about the quality of the TSU win, but I am of the opinion that having a record of 1-1 compared to being 0-2 at this point helps keeps us off of lists like this. If we can get wins against stronger competition all the better, but wins are wins and perception is reality.

And THAT, my friend, is how Boise State built their legacy.

Thought we might do it with what started in 2002 and 2003, but alas, ran out of steam.

This list has examples of teams we should be playing pre-conference, home and home. UNLV, Colorado, Pittsburg, and Kansas. Teams with a high profile that we can compete with.

Beat Kansas State

GO MEAN GREEN

I would love a home and home with UNLV! I really think we should start targeting MWC, bottom-level PAC12, and MAC teams. Probably should distance from SBC teams for at least a few years before bringing them back on the schedule as well.

• Upvote 1

The problem is that the line forms to the left to GET to play those teams. Go take a look at teams like Kansas, Ole Miss, or any bottom 1/3 teams of power conferences, etc.. Their OOC dance cards are full and they are not looking for strong teams to play. They are using their share of the $20mm conference revenues to pay for teams to come play. Take Ole Miss, we could be very competitive with them, but they use their money to play 7 home games a year and they try like heck to go into conference play at 2-2 or 3-1 before they go 1-7 or 0-8 in conference play. They either want a sure win or they want to play a big name that the alumni won't go crazy over if they get beat. Same with someone like Kansas. They only get 3 OOC games so they make sure 2 home and 1 roadie.

MWC team might be a little different since we are all essentially in the same boat. An OOC scheduling alliance, at least for the western CUSA teams could be very attractive (assuming we can afford to give up the money games).

The problem is that the line forms to the left to GET to play those teams. Go take a look at teams like Kansas, Ole Miss, or any bottom 1/3 teams of power conferences, etc.. Their OOC dance cards are full and they are not looking for strong teams to play. They are using their share of the $20mm conference revenues to pay for teams to come play. Take Ole Miss, we could be very competitive with them, but they use their money to play 7 home games a year and they try like heck to go into conference play at 2-2 or 3-1 before they go 1-7 or 0-8 in conference play. They either want a sure win or they want to play a big name that the alumni won't go crazy over if they get beat. Same with someone like Kansas. They only get 3 OOC games so they make sure 2 home and 1 roadie.

MWC team might be a little different since we are all essentially in the same boat. An OOC scheduling alliance, at least for the western CUSA teams could be very attractive (assuming we can afford to give up the money games).

There might be a line to get to play those teams, but it seems that every year those teams play somebody at their stadium very comparable to us. You mention Kansas--they're playing Northern Illinois in DeKalb this year. You mention Ole Miss--they're playing at Tulane. Mississippi State is playing at Troy this Saturday. Kentucky played Western Kentucky last year, and they're playing them again this year.

So yeah, I guess we could use the excuse that those teams don't want to play us. I'd rather be one of those teams that doesn't accept excuses and gets those games scheduled.

• Upvote 1

Remember the last time we played UNLV, Dr. Pohl's old school, at Fouts? Once again, timing...why couldn't we have been playing them this year? I was there...aside from Baylor in '06, I think that was the last time I was present for a loss.