And the hits keep coming

emmitt01

just received an email announcing that on Aug 27 the AD will be having a "student spirit night". Students are invited to Apogee to sample FREE food from about ten different Denton restaurants, meet with players and even get a chance to field punts from our kickers and catch passes from our QB's (I think we're just trying to supplement our walk-on program...I kid, I think).

Another "out of the box" idea and I got give kudos where warranted.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

just received an email announcing that on Aug 27 the AD will be having a "student spirit night". Students are invited to Apogee to sample FREE food from about ten different Denton restaurants, meet with players and even get a chance to field punts from our kickers and catch passes from our QB's (I think we're just trying to supplement our walk-on program...I kid, I think).

Another "out of the box" idea and I got give kudos where warranted.

Great way to get students involved. I think this is a great idea.

• Upvote 2

My first thought was excitement, my second thought was apprehension, my third thought was deciding to go, my fourth thought occurred after I saw that there was free food, and it was pure unadulterated joy.

I would have absolutely been there regardless, but offering free food to students will seal the deal for most of them. Great idea overall and great idea to give out food.

• Upvote 2

My first thought was excitement, my second thought was apprehension, my third thought was deciding to go, my fourth thought occurred after I saw that there was free food, and it was pure unadulterated joy.

I would have absolutely been there regardless, but offering free food to students will seal the deal for most of them. Great idea overall and great idea to give out food.

So free food would "seal the deal" for huge student turnout for the lala game?

• Upvote 2

So free food would "seal the deal" for huge student turnout for the lala game?

I'd say so. Give the students food, and they will come in droves. The combination of being poor college students and being at the age of having an appetite of an elephant that smoked too much weed means that food will always seal the deal.

• Upvote 1

It seems to me that this initiative, and several others that have been developed by the UNT Department of Athletics, should quieten an AD critic or two on this board, and beyond.

It is sooooo easy to sit behind a keyboard, point fingers, and criticize what the AD is doing without any real knowledge of what is being created, or the complexity involved in creating these initiatives.

There are more initiatives to come - and there will be overwhelming approval of these among the Mean Green Nation.

But having said that - and this will allow you to point a finger at me - it does concern me a bit that the AD official announcement for this event, that I received via email, does not mention that ID's are required by the students to attend this event.

Without that requirement this event could easily get out-of-hand.

I am sure the AD has considered this and made provisions - but not requiring ID's (or stating that ID's are required in the official announcement) does cause me some concern.

As Stormchaser says, offer free food and THEY will come. It seems to me that there are a lot of "they's" out there that we really should not encourage to attend this event.

GMG

Edited by tylermeangreen
  • Upvote 2

It seems to me that this initiative, and several others that have been developed by the UNT Department of Athletics, should quieten an AD critic or two on this board, and beyond.

It is sooooo easy to sit behind a keyboard, point fingers, and criticize what the AD is doing without any real knowledge of what is being created, or the complexity involved in creating these initiatives.

There are more initiatives to come - and there will be overwhelming approval of these among the Mean Green Nation.

But having said that - and this will allow you to point a finger at me - it does concern me a bit that the AD official announcement for this event, that I received via email, does not mention that ID's are required by the students to attend this event.

I am sure the AD has considered this and made provisions - but not requiring ID's (or stating that ID's are required in the official announcement) does cause me some concern.

As Stormchaser says, offer free food and THEY will come. It seems to me that there are a lot of "they's" out there that we really should not encourage to attend this event.

GMG

What????? A dyed in the wool lib is asking that a photo ID be required for something??????? Oh, sure, let's demand a photo ID for a football kick-off event, but let 'em vote without one! Oh, I cannot wait for the next exchange of emails with tylermeangreen! Ha! I just could not resist......huh? Political in a non-political thread? OK.....mea cuplpa...but you have to admit, it was too good to pass up!!!! Give me a break here...it's funny! :goodjob::lolu::notfair::stuff:

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

What????? A dyed in the wool lib is asking that a photo ID be required for something??????? Oh, sure, let's demand a photo ID for a football kick-off event, but let 'em vote without one! Oh, I cannot wait for the next exchange of emails with tylermeangreen! Ha! I just could not resist......huh? Political in a non-political thread? OK.....mea cuplpa...but you have to admit, it was too good to pass up!!!! Give me a break here...it's funny! :goodjob::lolu::notfair::stuff:

Well Mark, since you chose to make my concern into some type of political statement, and in a public forum, I will bore everyone with my reply sent to you via email. I am a bit disappointed that you chose to make this statement in this forum, but such is what is.

Folks, here is my reply to Mark:

Sorry - you missed the point entirely - I am not worried about violence by outsiders at a voting booth - and an ID would not stop such, anyway.

I AM worried about outsiders causing problems at an open, free football rally with NO limitation on who can attend.

Read the flyer - no mention of ID required and it is a "bring your friends on over" invitation. In other words, ANYONE can attend. Look around you, man - look at the violence that is occurring in mass settings today. This is an open invitation for gang-banger types to attend and cause havoc.

Going beyond that, there are many logistical problems involved with offering free food for an unknown quantity of possible students - and then you add in the open invitation to just anybody?

If you don't understand the difference then you should be laughing.........

I hope you are pulling my leg because otherwise I am astonished at your reaction.

Perhaps such would never occur - but then that is what they said at a theatre in Colorado...........and THAT even required payment for a ticket to attend.

• Upvote 2

Ah, the disappoinment is mine. No problem...no -1's from me for your reply. Sometimes a good shot across the bow brings out such responses in folks. It's OK.....

I still thinks it's funny.....

Ah, the disappoinment is mine. No problem...no -1's from me for your reply. Sometimes a good shot across the bow brings out such responses in folks. It's OK.....

I still thinks it's funny.....

For what it's worth, I'm as liberal as it gets and I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want IDs to have to be shown in order to vote. I think it's absurd that anyone thinks otherwise.

On topic, though, I get his sentiment about this, especially after another shooting occurring today in NYC. This shit is getting out of hand, I'm actually a little worried that some crazed gay activist will go in and shoot up the CFA on campus. We certainly have a liberal enough student body to have a few extremists peppered in.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

GMG

Rest easy, the food is being provided by the restraunts. The AD is not putting any money out for food.

• Upvote 2