Operation fill up the Wing

GreenFlag

I think giving away large amounts of tickets decreases the value of the product on the field. Whatever the athletic department does should center around adding value to the program. Our attendance will naturally increase once we move to C-USA. Our fans want to see us play Tulsa, Rice, and UTEP, and I think their fans will show up better then the Sun Belt teams did.

I'm not saying we should set back and do nothing. I just don't believe giving away large amounts of tickets is the best strategy. I think getting more posters up around town helps add value to our program and will help to get more people to the games.

Personally, I think the lower half of the Wingzone should be sectioned off for crazy, loud students. I'd like to see it filled with students that will paint their faces, or wear a green cape, or a green Darth Vader helmet, and yell as loud as they can every time the oponent gets into the red zone on that side of the field. When games are on T.V. that section will get on T.V. more than others, and be fun to watch while we are winning.

The craziest students are better off where they are...right behind the opposing team's bench. I tormented WKU last year. It was amazing. Getting a 325 pound DT to stare you down mid game means you're getting in their heads. Unfortunately, we lost anyways.

• Upvote 1

The craziest students are better off where they are...right behind the opposing team's bench. I tormented WKU last year. It was amazing. Getting a 325 pound DT to stare you down mid game means you're getting in their heads. Unfortunately, we lost anyways.

I'd rather you get in their heads, when they are in the red zone, force false starts & time outs, and help keep them out of the endzone. I'd hope we would get more crazy students then the section could hold and their would be plenty behind the visitors bench too.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather you get in their heads, when they are in the red zone, force false starts & time outs, and help keep them out of the endzone. I'd hope we would get more crazy students then the section could hold and their would be plenty behind the visitors bench too.

Maybe someday, but not yet haha. When the wins come, we'll have the place loud enough to force false starts anyways.

I can't recall how many people can fit in the wing section... 8,000? Seems pretty ambitious.

Maybe we can set a more reasonable goal and use that as a breakthrough to get everything we want? My suggestion would be to try and bring in enough people to fill the top of one of the wings. If anyone needs a catchy slogan, we could call it "Operation: Just the Tip".

Me too...didn't have much better than 3-star talent, but they were fun and discreet.

Unlike perhaps a few braggers...I was always taught that if you had to brag about it...you didn't do it. Just sayin........ :thumbsu: If the glove doesn't fit...you can't convict!!!!

• Upvote 2

Unlike perhaps a few braggers...I was always taught that if you had to brag about it...you didn't do it. Just sayin........ :thumbsu:If the glove doesn't fit...you can't convict!!!!

Funny...I was taught something completely different, but with that exact same expression.

• Upvote 1

I would think our Game Day stadium attendants would discourage any of our fans excercising some semblance of squatter's rights in the concourse area. There are

presently enough seats for all to sit in without pitching a tent on the concourse. Don't stadium rules forbid that from happening anyway? If Apogee Stadium is sold out, then maybe allow it then, but only then.

GMG!

You really can't control that. These guys are young. Hell, I'm 47 and I still pitch a tent on occasion.

• Upvote 4

Give DISD kids a free upper wing zone ticket wkth the purchase of either an adult ticket or a 50% off adult ticket. Have Scrappy work the crowd, hand out pom poms to the kids, pocket schedules, t-shirts, etc... Win the kids, parents will follow.

Provide the parents with season ticket information, single game ticket information, family fun pack info. and info on the Jr. Mean Green Club.

Hand these out at each school making the coupons redeemable for either TSU or Ul-la.

The wing section seats approximately 5,900.

Texas State U-San Marcos I understand has reached their goal of a bit over 6,000 season ticket sales for this Fall. Quite frankly, I think most of us on this forum and beyond are

impressed with that and they only piece-milled an end zone add-on to their stadium---not a completely new stadium.

Since no one seems to have posted what our athletic departments season ticket sales goal were for this Fall, UNT should merely try to fill the Wing Section every game this Fall and hope their usual annual promotions, ie, Family Weekend, Homecoming, etc, will fill most of the east and west sideline seats.

To have the end zone filled for each game would be quite a feat not to mention the accoustic effects there would be from that section of Apogee Stadium with the fabulous accoustics this stadium has. If not a goal for every game, for sure make it a one time reachable goal this Fall for the Tuesday night nationally

televised game on ESPN with the Mean Green versus the Rajun Cajuns. Just sayin'...

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Texas State U-San Marcos I understand has reached their goal of a bit over 6,000 season ticket sales for this Fall. Quite frankly, I think most of us on this forum and beyond are

impressed with that and they only piece-milled an end zone add-on to their stadium---not a completely new stadium.

Since no one seems to have posted what our athletic departments season ticket sales goal were for this Fall, UNT should merely try to fill the Wing Section every game this Fall and hope their usual annual promotions, ie, Family Weekend, Homecoming, etc, will fill most of the east and west sideline seats.

To have the end zone filled for each game would be quite a feat not to mention the accoustic effects there would be from that section of Apogee Stadium with the fabulous accoustics this stadium has. If not a goal for every game, for sure make it a one time reachable goal this Fall for the Tuesday night nationally

televised game on ESPN with the Mean Green versus the Rajun Cajuns. Just sayin'...

GMG!

What Texas State has going for it over us is that SWT/TSUSM was never a Division 1 (FBS) school until now. Their alumni and students have never seen them play anyone above a SLC level opponent, other than the bodybag game. Their school's administration never told their alumni and students to enjoy going back down to Division II for over a decade, which would have killed a generation or two of fans. At North Texas, we have stronger support from alums of the 60s and 70s for athletics than we do from almost all alumni who went here in the 80s and 90s. We will probably see a nice spike in lifelong interest from the graduates of the 00s because of the 4-year SBC run and the university actually acting like athletics matter.

People still don't realize just how far behind we are even today. With Apogee and CUSA, we have a chance to gain back a lot of ground, but we have to win--and it can't be against a watered-down CUSA, one that loses Southern Miss, East Carolina, Tulsa, etc...and gets rebuilt with SBC teams. We have to beat those current teams in conference AND beat a big-time ranked program one of these days. Operation WINGFILL isn't a problem if you beat LSU or Kansas State, most likely. If you want to see a big crowd for the home opener against Texas Southern, the only way to do that is to compete closely at LSU (less than 10 points). Even that might not do the trick beause the OOC opponent is so weak, but if LSU beats us like they usually do (50+ to 7), that TSU game will be lucky to draw 13k. If we lose at KSU like we have in the past (40+ to 7), the home game against Troy will be lucky to draw 15k, even on Family Weekend. The good news is that this SHOULD be the last year we have as poor a home schedule as we do, which is still the biggest draw to get folks out to watch games in Denton. I still can't believe that our home schedule at APOGEE is made up of games against Texas Southern , Troy, Louisiana-Lafayette, Arkansas State, and South Alabama. That would not have been acceptable to me if we still played in Fouts, much less in the stadium we just built for $78 million dollars. But, again, this should be the last time that we have such a poor slate of home game opponents to sell to North Texas fans.

What Texas State has going for it over us is that SWT/TSUSM was never a Division 1 (FBS) school until now. Their alumni and students have never seen them play anyone above a SLC level opponent, other than the bodybag game. Their school's administration never told their alumni and students to enjoy going back down to Division II for over a decade, which would have killed a generation or two of fans. At North Texas, we have stronger support from alums of the 60s and 70s for athletics than we do from almost all alumni who went here in the 80s and 90s. We will probably see a nice spike in lifelong interest from the graduates of the 00s because of the 4-year SBC run and the university actually acting like athletics matter.

People still don't realize just how far behind we are even today. With Apogee and CUSA, we have a chance to gain back a lot of ground, but we have to win--and it can't be against a watered-down CUSA, one that loses Southern Miss, East Carolina, Tulsa, etc...and gets rebuilt with SBC teams. We have to beat those current teams in conference AND beat a big-time ranked program one of these days. Operation WINGFILL isn't a problem if you beat LSU or Kansas State, most likely. If you want to see a big crowd for the home opener against Texas Southern, the only way to do that is to compete closely at LSU (less than 10 points). Even that might not do the trick beause the OOC opponent is so weak, but if LSU beats us like they usually do (50+ to 7), that TSU game will be lucky to draw 13k. If we lose at KSU like we have in the past (40+ to 7), the home game against Troy will be lucky to draw 15k, even on Family Weekend. The good news is that this SHOULD be the last year we have as poor a home schedule as we do, which is still the biggest draw to get folks out to watch games in Denton. I still can't believe that our home schedule at APOGEE is made up of games against Texas Southern , Troy, Louisiana-Lafayette, Arkansas State, and South Alabama. That would not have been acceptable to me if we still played in Fouts, much less in the stadium we just built for $78 million dollars. But, again, this should be the last time that we have such a poor slate of home game opponents to sell to North Texas fans.

You're talking crazy talk, plain and simple and ignoring the facts of what has happened time and time again even over at lowly fouts. REGARDLESS of whether or not we get blasted by LSU by 60 points or not, we will fill Apogee with a minimum of 20K fans for the home opener, bank it. People simple don't care about games prior to our home opener and will show up even if we were playing with a team full of ferrets throwing around the football. Where you get in trouble is the last half of the season. That is where you get the 13K crowds after we've lost 5 games in a row and play ULL or ULM or whomever at home.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think we need to fill that thing up by giving away tickets. The AD could figure out a reasonable conversion rate from the tickets they give away. Let's say they give away 30,000 tickets and 2,000 actually use them for a non-marquis game. These people will have to pay for parking and concessions so it really isn't a loss of revenue for people that weren't going anyway. Maybe a few cheapos will find a way to get these tickets who intended on attending anyway but it is crucial for this program to get butts in seats. I'm guessing the Wing holds about 8K - 10K people so give away 100,000 tickets. Just figure out the formula.

In the extremely unlikely event of a sell out because of giving away too many tickets, say you are sorry and give them tickets to the next 2 games and credit for some concessions. It would be a bummer but it is more important to start filling up the App. Just figure something out in this unlikely event.

Groups you could give to and feel good about:

DISD - hey little kid, how many family members do you have? Four? Ok, here's four tickets.

City of Denton - see DISD

Religious Organizations (Have it be The First, Second, Third, and Fourth Babtist Church's of Denton night at Apogee)

Youth Sports Leagues

Your own donor/season ticket holder base - give them 20 extra tickets to give away to family and friends.

I idea is to start this with the hopes of eventually having to stop this because the more people you expose to a great college game day atmosphere the more will want to come back - paying on their own.

Please give me your feedback. I will go to the AD with this if you convince me this is not hairbrained.

This is the way to go for ticket giveaways I think. Give out free single game tickets to season ticket holders for other UNT sports. Kind of a cross promotion. Then you might get more season ticket holders in lesser supported sports. Using the current hardcore fan base for football is great too. Give single game tickets to season ticket holders to let them draw in more fans. Maybe old college buddies, friends from work, neighbors and what have you. Get them out and enjoying a gameday tailgating eperience and then a game. Obviously the seats likely won't be near the host season ticket holders, but they wouldn't have to and you would still get to hang with the guests pre and post game.