UNT90, it would be naive to suggest that all scientists are honest. Science is a human activity and humans sometimes fail. But science is a unique culture. Truth is precious in science. A few lie - when they do the nature of science means that sooner or later the lie will be discovered - usually by a scientist. It's a rare scientist who is willing to risk the humiliation and ostracization of being caught in a lie.

As for the money, if money was what motivated an individual he/she would never have become a scientist. Scientists are driven, not by the dollar, but by the esteme of colleagues and by the excitement of discovery.

I often wonder if many on here would have survived if they were born in the 16th century. I think many would have bled themselves to death at the suggestion of modern science.

Are you saying that blood-letting was based on the scientific method?

Medicine in the 16th century was mostly art, not science.

Are you saying that blood-letting was based on the scientific method?

Medicine in the 21st century is mostly art guided by science.

Fixed

If you don't believe me, ask a MD.

And you have the hindsight of viewing from the 21st century, don't you? Obviously the people of the 16th, 17th, and even 18th century would disagree with you.

I wonder if people of the 26th century will look back on the 21st century global warming debate and compare it to bloodletting.

Edited by UNT90

Possibly in the way we look back at Galileo and Copernicus and see how they were viewed as political and religious pariahs.

History is kind to those who's theories are proven right. It just ignores those theories that are proven wrong, doesn't it?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wonder if people of the 26th century will look back on the 21st century global warming debate and compare it to bloodletting.

I'd say there's a good chance of it.

I hope western culture survives into the 26th Century. Science denial isn't the way to get there.

Every generation thinks the end of the world is coming during their time.

Helps them cope with the fact of just how insignificant each of us are and how little control we have over what happens in the world after we pass, I guess.

Helps them cope with the fact of just how insignificant each of us are and how little control we have over what happens in the world after we pass, I guess.

Exactly. I'm 41 years old. My first sentient memories begin around 1975. Among the most vivid and enduring was, "Jesus will come back in around three years."

My kid came home from school last year and said the argument against global warming among her sixth grade science classmates was that even if global warming is real, it doesn't matter because Jesus will come back in about three years.

This certainly is the age of science denial and a retreat to the mind-set that brought us the dark ages. Funny, those who claim that climate scientists are motivated by money and politics (though they get precious little as far as funding goes), fail to mention that the paid apologists (like the paid scientists who claimed that cigarette smoking wasn't associated with cancer, heart attack, etc)., attacking global scientists get a lot more money from entities like EXXON, who pay for much of the disinformation on this topic. If you want to know what climate scientists really believe, go to this site.http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

• Upvote 1

This certainly is the age of science denial and a retreat to the mind-set that brought us the dark ages. Funny, those who claim that climate scientists are motivated by money and politics (though they get precious little as far as funding goes), fail to mention that the paid apologists (like the paid scientists who claimed that cigarette smoking wasn't associated with cancer, heart attack, etc)., attacking global scientists get a lot more money from entities like EXXON, who pay for much of the disinformation on this topic. If you want to know what climate scientists really believe, go to this site.http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

Thanks Island, I was wondering where the 97% claim was coming from.

These folks claim it's a Math Myth.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/02/prweb11550514.htm

Rick

I often wonder if many on here would have survived if they were born in the 16th century. I think many would have bled themselves to death at the suggestion of modern science.

Agree. Probably would have. Ice age, 70s. Overpopulation hysteria, 70s again. No surprise that most overpopulation hysterics always lived in cramped, big cities. They should take a car ride from Fort Worth to El Paso. Hell...Fort Worth to San Diego, for that matter. I'm waiting for the overpopulation alarmist from Pecos, Texas.

Anyway, there is always some environmental apocalypse being sold. In the 21st Century, there are many more ways to sell it as well, given the exponential increase in media outlets and methods since the 70s. And, in the 20th Century, taxpayer money was thrown in to underwrite the various hysterias; gotta hide those "bad" research results that jeopardize the same.

It is what it is. And, it buys Al Gore many happy endings.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

Agree. Probably would have. Ice age, 70s. Overpopulation hysteria, 70s again. No surprise that most overpopulation hysterics always lived in cramped, big cities. They should take a car ride from Fort Worth to El Paso. Hell...Fort Worth to San Diego, for that matter. I'm waiting for the overpopulation alarmist from Pecos, Texas.

Anyway, there is always some environmental apocalypse being sold. In the 21st Century, there are many more ways to sell it as well, given the exponential increase in media outlets and methods since the 70s. And, in the 20th Century, taxpayer money was thrown in to underwrite the various hysterias; gotta hide those "bad" research results that jeopardize the same.

It is what it is. And, it buys Al Gore many happy endings.

Asteroid identification and diversion research.

Now that is something I could get behind...

Thanks Island, I was wondering where the 97% claim was coming from.

These folks claim it's a Math Myth.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/02/prweb11550514.htm

Rick

Yeah, that same link says the earth hasn't warmed in 16+ years yet the evidence says the past decade is the hottest on record -

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/07/03/past-decade-hottest-on-record-marked-by-extremes-un/

The first decade of the 21st century was the hottest on record, marked by unprecedented climate and weather extremes that killed more than 370,000 people, the United Nations weather agency said Wednesday.

The period from 2001 to 2010 was the warmest decade for both hemispheres since records began in 1850, was the second-wettest since 1901 and saw the most tropical cyclones since 1855, the World Meteorological Organization said in a new report.

Notice the quote is from FOX NEWS? I wanted to link to something the Tea Party folks here would understand.

Now, if your link got that part so wrong, why should we any attention to anything else that's on there?

• Downvote 1

UNT90, no one is saying the world's ending. That kind of garbage comes from the religious kooks. What the scientists are saying is that anthropogenic climate change threatens our way of life - that our kids will live in a degraded world. That seems simple enough.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, that same link says the earth hasn't warmed in 16+ years yet the evidence says the past decade is the hottest on record -

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/07/03/past-decade-hottest-on-record-marked-by-extremes-un/

Notice the quote is from FOX NEWS? I wanted to link to something the Tea Party folks here would understand.

Now, if your link got that part so wrong, why should we any attention to anything else that's on there?

Oh yeah, a repeat report by Fox of an AFP report on the United Nations Geneva conference,..claiming more Global Warming hysterics. Shocking!

I could counter link and counter link and counter link and keep on linking and to counter the left's evidence and it wouldn't matter. There's always gonna be the weak minded that need an agenda to believe in to help them feel better. We were told by the experts in the 70's that we were all gonna freeze to death by the year 2000 by dingleberry scientists needing money and people were freaking out over it.

So go ahead and believe the earth is burning up and man is causing it. Hell, go purchase.some carbon credits and buy Al Gore another day of fun. He knows there's a fool born every day and his scandal depends on it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

UNT90, no one is saying the world's ending. That kind of garbage comes from the religious kooks. What the scientists are saying is that anthropogenic climate change threatens our way of life - that our kids will live in a degraded world. That seems simple enough.

No one has predicted oceans to rise 7 to 20 feet, right?

World population estimates have gone from 3 1/2 billion in 1970 to 7 1/2 billion in 2014. What about all those extra exhales of carbon monoxide?

Maybe we need to start another holocaust, but this time in the name of science?

Or perhaps award Asad or that cooky N.Korea ruler with a scientific Nobel award? After all, they are just doing their part to thin the heard in the name of science.

What always makes me shake my head is that those that are so eager to embrace the word of man are usually the first to question the word of God. I really shouldn't be too surprised.

I would recommend everyone question both sides with equal enthusiasm. And look up Solar science and volcanic science and dig a bit. Also see if you can find where there is any real data that supports CO2 as a green house gas in an open atmosphere.

Science said that fat was the evil of all things in the human diet basically 20 years ago, they pushed fat free diets year on end. But now all research is showing Starches, especially sugars and the overeating of these especially processed forms, will cause a slew of problems. Many of which were blamed on fats until the last few years based on clinical trials, not survey studies, especially thanks to work with diabetic studies. These health studies are right here and tested and still we are learning, this man made climate change study is guesses based on unproven theories, based on theoretical models that compound the guessing. That tend to over look other disciplines such as the Solar activity and Volcanic Activity. But the spin is amazing agenda based and can dismiss everything but their own line of self-serving science.

Mostly I expect no one do any real research or sift through the spin, because those especially on the Man made warming side treat it as an unquestionable religion, rather than understanding in these scientific fields they are far from accurate. More importantly this argument will not change anyone's mind, because it is treated like a religion.

You should really have this discussion with the current U.S Secretary of State:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/16/politics/kerry-climate/

Yep, no agenda there.