pedophilia, mass-murder and politics make for one hell of a depressing news-cycle...I think we could all stand a bit of a smile, a bout of patriotism and maybe a good hearty sports cry.

Olympics start next week...here's hoping we have more thrilling moments like this one.

• Upvote 2

pedophilia, mass-murder and politics make for one hell of a depressing news-cycle...I think we could all stand a bit of a smile, a bout of patriotism and maybe a good hearty sports cry.

Olympics start next week...here's hoping we have more thrilling moments like this one.

I think Olympic talk should replace political talk for the duration of the games.

I'm gonna.... Try... Real... Hard.

What better way to express my jingoism and xenophobia than shrouded beneath the cover of international competitions in sports I watch just short of never.

I miss the Communists. Sure, Axis of Evil sounds better in a Golden Age Comic Book way, but I just don't know that I can get it up for women's soccer and flyweight boxing. How's Iran's Space Program coming along? How broad are the shoulders of the Eastern Iraq Women's Swim Team? What? There's no Eastern Iraq? Next thing I know you'll tell me they don't have a wall!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What better way to express my jingoism and xenophobia than shrouded beneath the cover of international competitions in sports I watch just short of never.

I miss the Communists. Sure, Axis of Evil sounds better in a Golden Age Comic Book way, but I just don't know that I can get it up for women's soccer and flyweight boxing. How's Iran's Space Program coming along? How broad are the shoulders of the Eastern Iraq Women's Swim Team? What? There's no Eastern Iraq? Next thing I know you'll tell me they don't have a wall!

I, too, miss the good vs. evil plotlines with the USSR from the 70s and 80s.

Made for great sports theater.

Best moment in Olympic history. I don't care if the guy didn't win anything. Jockeying for position, he fell, dislocated a knee, hurt his shoulder, and trudged on for over half the race to finish. I love the Olympics, the nationalism/flag waving of it all, but this is what it's really about.