CUSA Chatter

UNTexas

I echo what Grand said. If message boards picked conference members we'd be lucky to be in the Southland. Many posters are shallow and opinionated. They don't know about others and few make it a point to learn. We need to thankful that university presidents pick members based on facts.

When I first learned that we were (all but) in CUSA I envisioned that we were middle-of-the-pack and might stay that way for at least several years. As I look at the coaching changes that I have taken place in the past year I believe that North Texas will be a sports power in CUSA. Jones and Hedlund were the only coaches that I really felt good about prior to a couple of years ago. Now, softball is the only coaching staff that I'm not comfortable with. I see great recruiting improvement in soccer, volleyball, especially men's and women's basketball, golf, tennis and swimming and diving with membership in the Sun Belt. It should be even better in all sports under CUSA.

The culmination of the coaching improvement occurred today when Rob Evans, former coach at Ole Miss and Arizona State left his job at TCU to come be with Tony Benford on the men's basketball staff. When I see coaches like McCarney, Petersen, Benford and Evans accepting positions here when they could've likely had higher-paying jobs elsewhere, I think that the potential for special achievement radiates from our university. They see the opportunity. I hope our fans will.

There are some message boards that are truly a plethora of totally useful information and data (much like Harry's is "most" the time); and then there are some out there that are some of the best works of fiction, lagniape and tommyrot on the cyber scene. I don't get posters who post blatant untrue rumors and downlike lies. Such as the ones on the MWC board that has a thread running which says that UTEP and Tulsa (without a doubt) desperately want to join the MWC when that usually means 1 or 2 posters from each school are the only ones who do.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It's all good everybody has their sense of taste. Just like me and In N Out...don't get me wrong it's a good burger but I don't get the constant obsession and boner over that place...especially when they first opened here in the metroplex last year. I can't say it's better than it's competitors in my personal opinion. I don't get Californians and their In N Out.

Our boner obsession with In N Out is because that's what we grew up eating with our friends, hanging out there in high school, making late night runs in college. It's the ultimate comfort food for Californians because of the memories that come with the burger.

Conversely, I don't get the angry obsession against In N Out that many Texans have. If you don't like it, that's cool, but don't come down so hard on the free market that places a business entity in an area with a population who enthusiastically supports it. Many of the posts I read last year on various online outlets about In N Out, you'd think the state was being invaded by a standing army of granola crunching lesbian liberals hell bent on corrupting all the children.

• Upvote 2

It's all good everybody has their sense of taste. Just like me and In N Out...don't get me wrong it's a good FAST FOOD burger but I don't get the constant obsession and boner over that place...especially when they first opened here in the metroplex last year. I can't say it's better than it's competitors in my personal opinion. I don't get Californians and their In N Out.

Fixed.

I like In and Out, but really no better than Whataburger, just different.

Neither compares to some of the better burger places around town.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

NMSU is sol unless ODU turns down offer to join CUSA and MTSU accepts. then the Belt might reach out. otherwise, the Aggies are in the same boat as Idaho.

That would really be too bad. I'm sure they are now kicking themselves to leaving the belt for the WAC. I like NMSU and my wife and I always enjoyed the trips out there. She especially liked visiting all the wineries out there, as well as old Mesilla. Las Cruces is probably where we will stay when we go to UTEP games.

Our boner obsession with In N Out is because that's what we grew up eating with our friends, hanging out there in high school, making late night runs in college. It's the ultimate comfort food for Californians because of the memories that come with the burger.

Conversely, I don't get the angry obsession against In N Out that many Texans have. If you don't like it, that's cool, but don't come down so hard on the free market that places a business entity in an area with a population who enthusiastically supports it. Many of the posts I read last year on various online outlets about In N Out, you'd think the state was being invaded by a standing army of granola crunching lesbian liberals hell bent on corrupting all the children.

Who easy there shooter. By no means was I poo pooing the place...I think its a really good burger (fries suck tho)...As far the market that is supporting the In N Out then more power to them...that is the way the business world usually works. By no means I have this angry obsession against the place...I personally thought In N Out coming here was over hyped and it was the opposite of the the angry opposition of the place from people. For me personally I just don't get the obsessive boner for the place like many folks from California will preach to me. Nonetheless it is a pretty good burger and I'll eat there again I'm sure.

Who easy there shooter. By no means was I poo pooing the place...I think its a really good burger (fries suck tho)...As far the market that is supporting the In N Out then more power to them...that is the way the business world usually works. By no means I have this angry obsession against the place...I personally thought In N Out coming here was over hyped and it was the opposite of the the angry opposition of the place from people. For me personally I just don't get the obsessive boner for the place like many folks from California will preach to me. Nonetheless it is a pretty good burger and I'll eat there again I'm sure.

Oh, no! I wasn't speaking to you on that at all! I was talking about things I read last year, like comments on newspaper articles about In N Out coming, or the Frisco message board. There was a LOT of hatred!

Fixed.

For fast food burgers, I'd rate them:

1. Whataburger

2. Sonic

3. In N Out

Oh, and as long as we are all weighing in, from what I can remember, I've never eaten tacos in El Paso.

• Upvote 1

When I first learned that we were (all but) in CUSA I envisioned that we were middle-of-the-pack and might stay that way for at least several years. As I look at the coaching changes that I have taken place in the past year I believe that North Texas will be a sports power in CUSA.

First off, don't be so quick to take everything said on the SBC board as sour grapes.

When I talk about UNT performance in the SBC it is based on a UNT that was an island. UNT performance in CUSA will be much different because it is no longer an island. Almost two completely different programs.

Your performance in the SBC wasn't stellar after the league stabilized and that is no real surprise. Little interest in your area for your opponents, no in-state rivalries. No reason to mention you on sportscasts throughout Texas. Not really a major factor in your area.

None of those are the case any longer. I predict that if you step out on top of the UTSA, UTEP, Rice, UNT grouping you are on your way to ECU/USM type situation.

Did the SBC lose a whole lot by losing UNT? Not really. Texas State can easily replace the Sun Belt UNT. But what UNT was in the Sun Belt is gone. Not really even related.

I've always seen you as a smart and logical fan base and hopefully you can see that this is a win-win-win. It's a win for UNT, its a win for the Sun Belt, and its a win for Texas State.

I'm hoping you guys stay the same logical and reasonable fan base I've come to know and don't change into one of those who has to have a dog to kick. If so, I'm really rooting for you.

Edited by Mark Gerdes
  • Upvote 1

First off, don't be so quick to take everything said on the SBC board as sour grapes.

When I talk about UNT performance in the SBC it is based on a UNT that was an island. UNT performance in CUSA will be much different because it is no longer an island. Almost two completely different programs.

Your performance in the SBC wasn't stellar after the league stabilized and that is no real surprise. Little interest in your area for your opponents, no in-state rivalries. No reason to mention you on sportscasts throughout Texas. Not really a major factor in your area.

None of those are the case any longer. I predict that if you step out on top of the UTSA, UTEP, Rice, UNT grouping you are on your way to ECU/USM type situation.

Did the SBC lose a whole lot by losing UNT? Not really. Texas State can easily replace the Sun Belt UNT. But what UNT was in the Sun Belt is gone. Not really even related.

I've always seen you as a smart and logical fan base and hopefully you can see that this is a win-win-win. It's a win for UNT, its a win for the Sun Belt, and its a win for Texas State.

I'm hoping you guys stay the same logical and reasonable fan base I've come to know and don't change into one of those who has to have a dog to kick. If so, I'm really rooting for you.

And you sound so...well, logical. I think we'll serve ourselves best by being ourselves, since we have a lot of hard work ahead of us, and little reason for smack talk, especially in football. I think the wins will come, but Tulsa has been reminding us lately that things won't be easy. This may be the only time in our sports history that we've had a conference home that "fit", so hopefully, we'll bring our best game, on and off the field.

• Upvote 1

Oh, and as long as we are all weighing in, from what I can remember, I've never eaten tacos in El Paso.

Son, we've got things to do, places to go, and tacos to eat! El Paso has some of the best little hole in the wall Mexican joints in the country. Chico's isn't one of those joints, but overall El Paso Mexican food is amazing.

• Upvote 1

Son, we've got things to do, places to go, and tacos to eat! El Paso has some of the best little hole in the wall Mexican joints in the country. Chico's isn't one of those joints, but overall El Paso Mexican food is amazing.

El Paso is going to be a FUN trip. Looking forward to that one.

And you sound so...well, logical. I think we'll serve ourselves best by being ourselves, since we have a lot of hard work ahead of us, and little reason for smack talk, especially in football. I think the wins will come, but Tulsa has been reminding us lately that things won't be easy. This may be the only time in our sports history that we've had a conference home that "fit", so hopefully, we'll bring our best game, on and off the field.

Oh man, you are going to be able to grab some of their recruits. They will be trouble for a while but if you take care of business with the Texas lineup....they are going to suffer some additional erosion in Texas over the long-term.

This is truly a pardigm shift in your favor.

Fixed.

I like In and Out's double cheeseburger a lot, but the fries are about the worst I've had. As far as EP is concerned, I enjoyed the place MUCH more when you could go to Juarez sans passport and vest.

• Upvote 1

Good willed but stupid post. More dismissal of NT early success because hey the Belt was just so weak then. Really, it was rated the worse than and still is by most rankings. I've heard the same stuff every year of how Belt football has grown so much better and yet there have been no measurements to back that up with the exception of perhaps last year. The only year that I actually think the Belt moved significantly forward.

NT's non stellar football can be easily tracked back to letting an one time successful coach run the program into the ground because he thought he was too good for the program and then making one of the worst football hc hires in NCAA history. Getting off the island will help NT but it is no excuse for anything in the Belt. Back to your less than stellar comment, I guess that is restricted to football; because it is a pretty easy case to make that MBB has been one of the two strongest programs in the Belt for the last six years and NT annual placement in the all sports competition would make your comment on a total sports basis easy to refute.

Texas State will easily replace NT, right. A university that has not played a down of fb division football, is going to buoy up the old Belt. If you think NT is less than stellar, you might want to take a look at TSSM's Southland history. Also when the Belt bids that next tv contract, you can relate to them the value of that San Marcos market versus DFW.

I am apparently not part of that great logical NT fan base, but I can spot a lot of bs when I see it. A win for the Belt, no one with any of that logic you covet could up with that conclusion. One little hint, when any member of the Belt would jump at a chance to be in CUSA it is very difficult to present any stats or scenarios that are going to convince many that the Belt has won anything.

I have nothing but admiration for the Belt and most of the teams in it. I have stated on the Belt board that if everyone feels as you do that everyone should be happy with the changes. But that is a lot difference from I assume a fan from another Belt team coming in here and proclaiming that NT will be easily replaced and really was not stellar in the Belt. My question to you, is who in the Belt is more stellar than NT in your opinion. I can't think of any on an overall basis even with NT having a bad streak in football, please enlighten me.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Good willed but stupid post. More dismissal of NT early success because hey the Belt was just so weak then. Really, it was rated the worse than and still is by most rankings. I've heard the same stuff every year of how Belt football has grown so much better and yet there have been no measurements to back that up with the exception of perhaps last year. The only year that I actually think the Belt moved significantly forward.

NT's non stellar football can be easily tracked back to letting an one time successful coach run the program into the ground because he thought he was too good for the program and then making one of the worst football hc hires in NCAA history. Getting off the island will help NT but it is no excuse for anything in the Belt. Back to your less than stellar comment, I guess that is restricted to football; because it is a pretty easy case to make that MBB has been one of the two strongest programs in the Belt for the last six years and NT annual placement in the all sports competition would make your comment on a total sports basis easy to refute.

Texas State will easily replace NT, right. A university that has not played a down of fb division football, is going to buoy up the old Belt. If you think NT is less than stellar, you might want to take a look at TSSM's Southland history. Also when the Belt bids that next tv contract, you can relate to them the value of that San Marcos market versus DFW.

I am apparently not part of that great logical NT fan base, but I can spot a lot of bs when I see it. A win for the Belt, no one with any of that logic you covet could up with that conclusion.

I have nothing but admiration for the Belt and most of the teams in it. I have stated on the Belt board that if everyone feels as you do that everyone should be happy with the changes. But that is a lot difference from I assume a fan from another Belt team coming in here and proclaiming that NT will be easily replaced and really was not stellar in the Belt. My question to you, is who in the Belt is more stellar than NT in your opinion. I can't think of any even with NT having a bad streak in football, please enlighten me.

Oh well, I tried. Maybe some will get it.

North Texas in the Sun Belt sucked. It will not suck in CUSA.

If that offends you then you aren't as smart as I thought. I'll be moving on now. I guess you can never "still be friends" no matter how much you want.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

* = conference championship

UNT

1983 8-4*

1984 2-9

1985 4-6-1

1986 6-4

1987 7-5

1988 8-4

1989 5-6

1990 6-5

1991 3-7-1

1992 4-7

1993 4-7

1994 7-4-1*

64-68-3

TxState

2000 7-4

2001 4-7

2002 4-7

2003 4-8

2004 5-6

2005 11-3*

2006 5-6

2007 4-7

2008 8-5*

2009 7-4

2010 4-7

2011 6-6

69-70

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

UNT

1983 8-4*

1984 2-9

1985 4-6-1

1986 6-4

1987 7-5

1988 8-4

1989 5-6

1990 6-5

1991 3-7-1

1992 4-7

1993 4-7

1994 7-4-1*

64-68-3

TxState

2000 7-4

2001 4-7

2002 4-7

2003 4-8

2004 5-6

2005 11-3*

2006 5-6

2007 4-7

2008 8-5*

2009 7-4

2010 4-7

2011 6-6

69-70

UNT

1983 8-4*

1984 2-9

1985 4-6-1

1986 6-4

1987 7-5

1988 8-4

1989 5-6

1990 6-5

1991 3-7-1

1992 4-7

1993 4-7

1994 7-4-1*

64-68-3

TS-San Marcos

1987 4-7

1988 4-7

1989 5-6

1990 6-5

1991 7-4

1992 5-5-1

1993 2-9

1994 4-7

1995 4-7

1996 5-6

1997 5-6

1998 4-7

55-76-1

• Upvote 2

UNT

1983 8-4*

1984 2-9

1985 4-6-1

1986 6-4

1987 7-5

1988 8-4

1989 5-6

1990 6-5

1991 3-7-1

1992 4-7

1993 4-7

1994 7-4-1*

64-68-3

TxState

2000 7-4

2001 4-7

2002 4-7

2003 4-8

2004 5-6

2005 11-3*

2006 5-6

2007 4-7

2008 8-5*

2009 7-4

2010 4-7

2011 6-6

69-70

North Texas leads the all time series with TXST-SM 29-7-3.

• Upvote 3

UNT

1983 8-4*

1984 2-9

1985 4-6-1

1986 6-4

1987 7-5

1988 8-4

1989 5-6

1990 6-5

1991 3-7-1

1992 4-7

1993 4-7

1994 7-4-1*

64-68-3

TS-San Marcos

1987 4-7

1988 4-7

1989 5-6

1990 6-5

1991 7-4

1992 5-5-1

1993 2-9

1994 4-7

1995 4-7

1996 5-6

1997 5-6

1998 4-7

55-76-1

You also have to consider that during that time frame NT OOC games regularly included SWC/Big 12/SEC teams, while SWTS was generally playing their OOC games against the likes of Texas A&I and Hardin Simmons. That does tend to skew the records a bit.

I don't think it's obsession AGAINST In n Out Burger, but more like being agasint the overhype and obsession with the place. Much like Team Edward or Team Jacob.

And are we talking chapsitck or lipstick lesbians?

Woah! This is a family board.

As far as EP is concerned, I enjoyed the place MUCH more when you could go to Juarez sans passport and vest, without fear of being beheaded.

Fixed.

Oh well, I tried. Maybe some will get it.

North Texas in the Sun Belt sucked. It will not suck in CUSA.

If that offends you then you aren't as smart as I thought. I'll be moving on now. I guess you can never "still be friends" no matter how much you want.

Didn't we win something like 4 conference championships in the belt in 10 years or so? That isn't bad in my opinion. The firing of that coach and the ensuing years were bad though.

For fast food burgers, I'd rate them:

1. Whataburger

2. Sonic

3. In N Out

Whataburger is a great burger and I just was introduced to In and Out. In and Out is tasty, fast, and cheap. Its a good burger. Sonic?!

I was recently told to try Twisted Root. Any word on that place?

The Hickory Burger at the Denton Hamburger Company is the bomb. The fries are soggy but I like crispy.

Some of y'all are talking about various places to go in EP. Cattlemans Steakhouse is really good and if you are taking kids it's worth the trip out to Fabens. They have a zoo and old movie sets on the Ranch. La Posta in Old Mesilla is great plus it's a cool area outside Las Cruces. The Rivera on the Westside is still my favorite Mexican joint though. Cool bar too. Still anti Chico's.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1