UNT - SMU Tug-O-War

MeanGreen61

Unfortunately, money usually wins when it comes to assistants, especially an older assistant who has a limited employment time staring him in the face. Going up against 2 private schools who can pay their head coaches 3 to 4 times what we can doesn't bode well for UNT in this situation.

I am just about the only person in the world that is a fan of both programs. I think he is going to end up at UNT. SMU just snagged their DFW recruiter Ulric Maligi from Houston. I think they are only planning on getting one. They really like Evans at SMU but I don't think there is going to be room for him on their staff.

Edited by playoffpush

This is from a Marquette fan who just became a UNT fan. Coach Benford and Coach Lundy are an amazing foundation to continue to build on the success of your program. What a wealth of knowledge in these two coaches. Keep in mind that even with his background Lundy is 7 years younger than Coach Benford. If this doesn't start an incredible run for UNT basketball I will be very surprised. Great hires!

• Upvote 7

This is from a Marquette fan who just became a UNT fan. Coach Benford and Coach Lundy are an amazing foundation to continue to build on the success of your program. What a wealth of knowledge in these two coaches. Keep in mind that even with his background Lundy is 7 years younger than Coach Benford. If this doesn't start an incredible run for UNT basketball I will be very surprised. Great hires!

i think this sets us up very well, if benford has some success and a higher program comes calling, we should be able to promote Lundy (who i believe does have some D-1 Head Coaching Experience) This hire is sounding better and better. I would also love Rob Evans. My sports radio contacts here in arkansas say he is a great guy and great recruter (evans was in arkasas under pelfrey for 4 years before tcu last season)

I can't stand the thought of Tim Jankovich at SMU.

Edit- - -Now with a few hours to think, I sort of get a kick out of SMU hiring a guy we fired.

actually,he quit.he refused to play all the "body bag" road games that Helwig[sic?] kept scheduling for big paydays. the A.D.did the same thing to coaches Simon and Dickey, which is how he funded the athletic program.

actually,he quit.he refused to play all the "body bag" road games that Helwig[sic?] kept scheduling for big paydays. the A.D.did the same thing to coaches Simon and Dickey, which is how he funded the athletic program.

He resigned knowing he would be terminated if he didn't. His behavior make it clear that it was not his choice to leave.