Regents delegate authority to Rawlins to move conferences

Harry

Formalities...formalities, folks. It's a DONE DEAL...CONFERENCE USA here we come! When a very high placed source...VERY HIGH placed...tells you..."we will not be in that conference long (SunBelt) and that we will soon be playing the likes of Rice and Tulsa...then the next day the BOR authorizes our president to "review" conference membership and authorizes him to seek a change...should he desire to do so...IT'S OVER! The fat lady is warming up in the next room for her debut signature event....BUT, the formalities must take place...no way this vote happens without the cards being in place for the move.

BOOK IT DANNO! Done, over, finished, complete...let the announcements start flowing!

It's a great time to be GREEN! One has to thanks RV, Dr. Rawlins and the BOR for all their hard work in getting so many positive things going for UNT in recent times...it is definitely TIME and the Mean Green is ready! THE TIME IS NOW!

Just sitting around doing nothing while all the other universities get into better conferences...I THINK NOT! Thanks RV, thanks Dr. Rawlins and thanks to all who helped make this all happen. GREATNESS for the Mean green nation. The time is NOW!

After I called you with the breaking news the UNT Daily News facebook page printed a retraction. It's definitely happening now though.

This Houston Cougar is just checking in to tell you guys congrats on your all-but-certain invite to CUSA. As thrilled as I am with our move to the Big East, I've always enjoyed the rivalries we have established with our CUSA brethren, and will miss playing teams like Tulsa, Southern Miss, and UTEP. I'm glad CUSA picked up a quality program and I wish you all the success in the future!

Thanks man. I know a lot of us will be heading to H-town for our game with y'all this year and very much looking forward to it. Congrats on your great season and move to the Big East.

Formalities...formalities, folks. It's a DONE DEAL...CONFERENCE USA here we come! When a very high placed source...VERY HIGH placed...tells you..."we will not be in that conference long (SunBelt) and that we will soon be playing the likes of Rice and Tulsa...then the next day the BOR authorizes our president to "review" conference membership and authorizes him to seek a change...should he desire to do so...IT'S OVER! The fat lady is warming up in the next room for her debut signature event....BUT, the formalities must take place...no way this vote happens without the cards being in place for the move.

BOOK IT DANNO! Done, over, finished, complete...let the announcements start flowing!

It's a great time to be GREEN! One has to thanks RV, Dr. Rawlins and the BOR for all their hard work in getting so many positive things going for UNT in recent times...it is definitely TIME and the Mean Green is ready! THE TIME IS NOW!

Just sitting around doing nothing while all the other universities get into better conferences...I THINK NOT! Thanks RV, thanks Dr. Rawlins and thanks to all who helped make this all happen. GREATNESS for the Mean green nation. The time is NOW!

You left out the most important thanks of all. RV didn't get the students to vote for a

increase in their student fees......UNTFLYER and his SGA colleagues did! It's as simple as this...no student vote...no stadium.

So, thanks Flyer! (and colleagues) for the new stadium and all the future income stream to hire the staff and coaches to move the athletic program forward.

CUSA has obviously taken notice.

• Upvote 4

This Houston Cougar is just checking in to tell you guys congrats on your all-but-certain invite to CUSA. As thrilled as I am with our move to the Big East, I've always enjoyed the rivalries we have established with our CUSA brethren, and will miss playing teams like Tulsa, Southern Miss, and UTEP. I'm glad CUSA picked up a quality program and I wish you all the success in the future!

Just please continue to kick the crap out of SMU

• Upvote 2

You left out the most important thanks of all. RV didn't get the students to vote for a

increase in their student fees......UNTFLYER and his SGA colleagues did! It's as simple as this...no student vote...no stadium.

So, thanks Flyer! (and colleagues) for the new stadium and all the future income stream to hire the staff and coaches to move the athletic program forward.

On this we should all be able to agree.

• Upvote 3

I must share this with all of you. A while back I was talking with RV via the phone and thanked him for getting the new stadium built. He never took credit for it! Not once during our converstation. He was humble and thankful but he made it perfectly clear that there were others who made it happen. He didn't mention names. But honestly, if RV had not shown the fortitude, determination, desire, and love for UNT more than likely the student vote would never have happened must less passed. He paved the way. So yes, RV played a major role in getting the stadium built.

And yes we should all thank Flyer and the past SGA for both recognizing and seizing the opportunity.

Thanks guys!

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2

Yes and just think where we could be if the measley $7. increase was commensurate with what UTSA and TX ST@SM pay ( double that of UNT).

The way I read the legislation is that NT can raise the athlete fee to the state maximum of $20 per hour without a vote. The issue that has me puzzled is why is NT's fee tied to construction and the others are not. It is unclear to me if the fee is in effect after the stadium loans are paid off or is it in effect as long as some of it goes to athletic facility projects.

In any regards, thank the students for doing more than their part for NT athletics, weather the fee remains at $10 or is raised to $20 per hour.

• Upvote 1

The way I read the legislation is that NT can raise the athlete fee to the state maximum of $20 per hour without a vote. The issue that has me puzzled is why is NT's fee tied to construction and the others are not. It is unclear to me if the fee is in effect after the stadium loans are paid off or is it in effect as long as some of it goes to athletic facility projects.

In any regards, thank the students for doing more than their part for NT athletics, weather the fee remains at $10 or is raised to $20 per hour.

My understanding is that they can raise the fee every year without a vote as long as it is not more than a certain (10% if I remember correctly) amount. As far as the tie to the construction, thank Perry for that.

• Upvote 1

Yes and just think where we could be if the measley $7. increase was commensurate with what UTSA and TX ST@SM pay ( double that of UNT).

I agree with you but thank goodness it was enough to get the stadium built. I don't think it would have passed if it was more than what it was. Think where we would be if we were still at Fouts. Sun Belt, forever. And for the record, the stadium TState@San Marcos is building is nice but it is no where comparable to Apogee. Not even close. We are very fortunate.

With the students just passing an increase for the Student Union Bldg I doubt we'll see any new athletic fee increase any time soon.

However, if we can start selling out the Pit and Apogee then maybe we will begin to draw in major donors who have the money and desire to be part of something big.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1

My understanding is that they can raise the fee every year without a vote as long as it is not more than a certain (10% if I remember correctly) amount. As far as the tie to the construction, thank Perry for that.

The fee essentially will never go away because the university can ALWAYS be building/renovating/tearing down something. Even if we were to pay off the stadium next year (impossible, just giving an example) we can use the fee to fund a practice facility, baseball stadium, add seating and suites to Apogee. In other words, NT can make it where the fee never goes away.

• Upvote 1