Next Season

It's time to turn our thoughts to next season. I'd love to see some of the more knowledgable guys on here post their thoughts on what to look for.

Those who are graduating- Alonzo Edwards, Tyler Hall, Kedrick Hogans. We're losing a little muscle inside but I don't think Ked or Zo really stepped up like they needed to this season. Tyler gave a gutsy performance all season. Got a lot more out of him then what should be expected for a walk-on.

Who's coming in- Justin Patton?, Clark Overlander, John Odoh. Patton will be a SR who gives us some good length on the wing at 6'7. He was Gramblings leading scorer and rebounder. Overlander is a sharpshooter who will give teams problems as I've heard he's anywhere from 6'6-6'8. Odoh is a big get as he will be a big body down low. One hopes that he be able to give UNT 8pts, 10rbs a game while allowing others to play to their position.

Question- Does NT have one more spot available in this class? Vito says so.

Chris Jones and Jordan Williams- Will they be back. They are still enrolled which is the best sign that they will. Last night on Twitter they both took individual responsiblity for not doing their part in the classroom leading to them not being able to be out there with their teamates. Chris Jones has the potential to do big things at the PG position for us.

Alzee Williams-What a year! The great news on him is that he will only be a JR next season. Really impressed me this season. Does he swing over to the 2 next season if CJ is back?

Brandon Walton- Struggled out of the gate but really turned it up as the season progressed. He helped to spread the floor with his shooting.

Trey Norris- Didn't get a lot of run this season. Doesn't look to get much next with CJ and Alzee back.

Roger Franklin- Seemed to be hit or miss this season. Hopefully he can put it all together and be more consistent in his Sr year.

Jacob Holeman- Really turned it on in the tourny. Looking forward to what he will do next season.

Forrest Robinson- Saw limited time as he was injured for a majority of the season. He provides some length and is a long range threat.

Nikko Stojilkovic- Seemed to perform well when called on. Not a starter but should be able to get some good minutes.

And the big question....

Tony Mitchell- Will he or won't he? He says he's leaning towards staying. After last nights performance I think that would be a good idea.

Starting 5 next season:

Chris Jones

Alzee Williams

Jordan Williams

Tony Mitchell

John Odoh

with Justin Patton, Roger Franklin, Jacob Holmon, and Brandon Walton all logging extensive minutes. That gives us a really deep and really solid 9. Throw in a few minutes for Overlander, Nikko, and Forrest.

Damn I'm excited about next season!!

• Upvote 6

If you average the point differential in every single one of our losses since conference play began (12/29), you get 4.375. ...throw out the 64-52 Denver game and it is 3.28.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. I have to think it really hardened these young guys, and with all this tourney experience to chew on they will be better next season because of it.

I think you just about nailed it H-town. I expect alot of the same things. Alzee should definitely move over to the 2 for much of the games next year.

I expect Williams and Jones to be back next year and to contribute alot. Jones should pick up right where he left off playing at an extremely high level.

Jordan hopefully will develop more confidence to create chances off the dribble. He's crazy athletic, but often settled for jumpers rather than attacking the basket. There's no one better on the fast break though (including Mitchell). He just knows exactly where to be in transition. Ideally, he'll challenge Mitchell for the team scoring lead next year.

There were concerns about Odoh's impressive JUCO numbers coming against soft competition. I hope they translate to division 1 ball. I think he's a wild card. If he can play the 5 well, then I expect to see Mitchell (if he's back) on the wings more, where he's supposed to be.

I wonder if Overlander will be a factor next year?

I wonder if Patton will suit out next year? If so, I expect him and Roger Franklin to be the same type of player, and I expect both to play at a pretty high level.

Mitchell will probably play the 3-5 positions in different spurts during the game, depending on who's on the floor with him. When Odoh and Franklin/Patton/Robinson/Niko are on the floor together, I would love Mitchell to play some 3. When Odoh's taking a breather, Mitchell will probably play some 5.

I REALLY hope Robinson uses this ofseason to pick up some weight and step into a contributing role at the 4/5 spots. He's got a nice shot.

Same with Niko. He's got the offensive game for a good 4. Needs some toughness on D though.

I hope Trey can pick JJ's brain this offseason. I'd love for him to become a more cerebral PG. It kinda felt like he was playing with instinct out there for alot of the season. I really like him though. He showed flashes of brilliance.

Walton: Develop a better sense of shot selection! (OK, this may be a little reactionary)

EDIT: How could I forget Holmen? I expect he'll be a really nice leader for this team next year. There's not much more he needs to do with his game. He's solid.

My guess for next year's starting 5:

Jones

A.Williams

J.Williams

Mitchell (if he's back?)

Odoh

With heavy doses of Holmen/Franklin/Patton/Walton off thebench.

OR

Jones

A.Williams

Mitchell

Holmen

Odoh

With a very heavy dose of J Williams and alot of Franklin/Patton/Walton off the bench.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

I would have:

CJ

Alzee

Holmen

Franklin

Mitchell

I think JW was finding his spot as a sixth man before he flunked... Somewhat Jet-like

Although I will also say that only Alzee and Mitchell are my for sure starters next year

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Could be an amazing team next year, of course I thought that the last two and was disappointed both years.

Last year's team and conf. tourney loss was much more of a let-down than this year's team... at least for me.

I imagine FAU fans must feel the same way we felt last year with all of their pre-season expectations this year... except they just totally face-planted this year. Whereas UNT at least made the conf. tourney final last year.

This year, some of us were able to tame expectations in the face of several freshmen coming in and developing. Those freshmen were SUPER talented and nearly pulled it off!

Next year, I think it's a 3 team race in the SBC because WKU obviously has talented freshmen as well and I don't think MT is going anywhere, although Dendy graduating will bring them down to a beatable level.

During the tournament- I kept finding myself forgetting that Holmen has one more year! This excited me a ton. He was the offensive jump start that we needed in the tourny this past weekend.

Other than getting Jones and Williams back, and the return of Mitchell (since these appear to be the 'obvious' things to look forward to), Seeing Holmen's senior year is what I'm looking forward to the most.

I know this team and the guys pretty well and im telling you right now, this will be the best team in UNT history.. Tony is coming back, and as long as CJ and JWill make grades we will be something very special.. Words cant describe how good we can and will be.. Top 25 good, at large good.. Starting 5 should be 1. CJ 2. Alzee 3. Jacob/JP 4. Tony 5.JOdoh... with arguably the best bench we've ever had in Patton/Holmen, Walton, JWill, Roger, Niko, Forrest, Clarke, Trey

Edited by sparkmank

I know this team and the guys pretty well and im telling you right now, this will be the best team in UNT history.. Tony is coming back, and as long as CJ and JWill make grades we will be something very special.. Words cant describe how good we can and will be.. Top 25 good, at large good.. Starting 5 should be 1. CJ 2. Alzee 3. Jacob/JP 4. Tony 5.JOdoh... with arguably the best bench we've ever had in Patton/Holmen, Walton, JWill, Roger, Niko, Forrest, Clarke, Trey

I completely whole heartedly agree that if everyone comes back, this will be the most talented team in UNT history. As far as the best "team", we'll see as unselfishness will tell that story. I disagree on the starting 5 in that Roger should start with Tony in front court rather than Odah. He will come off the bench to spell Tony.

I was trying to figure out a starting 5 for next season on Tuesday night after the game. From Tuesday's starting lineup we could potentially see 3-4 fresh faces get starts.

I think we see a ton of experimentation at the beginning of the season because there is so many capable guys, it's just going to be chemistry and matchups.

We will have 3 guys capable of draining 3's with regularity in Walton, Overlander and Pye. 4 if Tony steps out, and 5 if Jacob keeps seeing the basket like he was on Monday night.

We will be the largest team in the belt by far, and have the ability to play an outside shooting game if pressed into it. Add guys who can score close to and around in the basket in Tony, Odoh, Franklin, Holmen, Patton, Pye (slashing), Jones, Williams.

You will likely see the return of the "line change" where 3-4-5 guys are subbed in and out at a time. The last time we ran that deep, we played Kansas State in the NCAA Tourney. Or, you can really sub in and out players in an attempt to find the hotter hand that night.

I'd really like to see Robinson get the redshirt next year that we hoped he would this year. But if he can help, I'd expect to see him.

Next year could be very special.

Edited by MeanMag

Last year's team and conf. tourney loss was much more of a let-down than this year's team... at least for me.

I imagine FAU fans must feel the same way we felt last year with all of their pre-season expectations this year... except they just totally face-planted this year. Whereas UNT at least made the conf. tourney final last year.

This year, some of us were able to tame expectations in the face of several freshmen coming in and developing. Those freshmen were SUPER talented and nearly pulled it off!

Next year, I think it's a 3 team race in the SBC because WKU obviously has talented freshmen as well and I don't think MT is going anywhere, although Dendy graduating will bring them down to a beatable level.

Good post. I actually tried to go back and find the thread where we made predictions on the season. Alas, ny internet skills were just too lacking (feel free to try).

This is about what I expected, even with the suspended ones playing the whole season, so I guess you could say a little better than I expected. I expected about .500 in conference and a run in the conference tournament.

Bout right.

• Upvote 1

Good post. I actually tried to go back and find the thread where we made predictions on the season. Alas, ny internet skills were just too lacking (feel free to try).

This is about what I expected, even with the suspended ones playing the whole season, so I guess you could say a little better than I expected. I expected about .500 in conference and a run in the conference tournament.

Bout right.

Fun Thread

It's interesting to look back. I found a few threads with predictions, but I think this one is the most comprehensive.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

Eastwood and CMJ were spot on.... then it just divulged into standard crap....

Fun Thread

It's interesting to look back. I found a few threads with predictions, but I think this one is the most comprehensive.

I think it was hard to have any kind of expectations last season with so many question marks on who was & wasn't going to suit for us

The coming up year we should have a better idea. Hopefully CJ & JW continue to take care of their classwork and do not even become a issue

I jokingly said sweet 16 last year. If everyone returns I'll say it seriously this time

I completely whole heartedly agree that if everyone comes back, this will be the most talented team in UNT history. As far as the best "team", we'll see as unselfishness will tell that story. I disagree on the starting 5 in that Roger should start with Tony in front court rather than Odah. He will come off the bench to spell Tony.

Tony doesnt need to play the 5, thats what Odah for. Tony will play the 4... Were just too deep to even talk about a starting 5, the players know what kind of team they have and wont be butt hurt to come off the bench. Theyre all about winning a championship, not their individual stats

• Upvote 2

If everyone that can be around next year, ends up here it would be great. However, that never seems to happen.

A returning squad of:

Holmen 6'8 Sr

Walton 6'2 Sr

Stojijkovac 6'9 Sr

Patton 6'7 Sr

Franklin 6'5 Sr

A. Williams 6'4 Jr

Odoh 6'11 Jr

Mitchell 6'8 So

Jones 6'2 So

J. Williams 6'6 So

Robinson 6'10 So

Norris 6' So

Overlander 6'5 Fr

That is squad that not many "Mid Majors" (yes I hate the term too) can come close to matching. NT has returning 7 players who have started multiple games and two very promising newcomers in Odoh and Patton. I hope that JJ changes his offense and defense to more match his personnel but I suspect he will remain with the same. It makes little sense to me to continue to rely primarily on an outside game, when you should have a squad that can just overpower most teams in the paint. NT should also have the depth to play a smothering pressing defense.

I can't see anyone beating out A. Williams, Mitchell, Jones or Odoh for starting spots. That leaves J. Williams, Holmen, Walton, Franklin and Patton vying for the last spot. Add Niko and you have a salty second team. JJ most likely will continue with another outside shooter at the last position leaving Walton, Holmen and J. Williams to fight it out. Based on raw talent, Williams would start and I see that happening if he can become a more consistent shooter.

What I would like to see is for JJ to scrap the three guard offense, and go to a three inside offense with Odoh, Mitchell and Patton with J. Williams, Niko, Holmen, Robinson and Franklin as rotation guys. A. Williams, Jones, Walton, Norris and Overlander would handle the guard positions. The offense would be designed to get the ball inside, although the inside players can obviously go outside and the inside back out play would be even a bigger part of the offense. I would press most of the time on defense and just tire out teams with NT depth.

I have been disappointed with the result the last two years, especially in conference play. Obviously, WKU, ULL, MTSU and others are going to be stronger next year; however, there is no reason NT can't dominate the Belt if everyone returns. I think the teams' aim should be higher than the Belt, next year. Mitchell is a one of a kind player, and he should have a very good supporting cast. I hope NT schedules and prepares like a team with the highest of expectations next year.