CUSA Board: Commish Banowsky: "UTSA Needs To Mature"

PlummMeanGreen

The above thread title content on this message board was not created by anyone on GMG.com but rather a creation from a poster on the CUSA board.

The TSU-SM "market too small" part of the article came from the SA Express-News reporter. Actually, I would disagree with the reporter that the TSU-SM market is too small, but it just happens to only be 18 miles from....The University.

NOTE: North Texas & FIU are mentioned in a good light in this SA Express-News article. Not sure why FAU or MTSU are not.

And FIU? In deed, this really must be all about TV markets since many of us see FAU or MTSU with more across the board upside with better facilities. I think UNT hit a grand slam home run with Apogee Stadium, folks.

http://www.mysananto...als-3338113.php

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Where's GL2Greatness

it was someone talking about those teams going to the CUSA not the belt

CUSA has better options....the belt not so much

I never talked about size of media markets, but even if talking about them UTSA still drew twice as many fans in their first year of football VS UNT in their new stadium

and size of a media market only matters if the people in that media market care about the product being offered

UNT has only managed to draw under 19K fans in their best season several years ago and they only managed to draw under 19K in their first season in a new stadium only a few thousand more than TxState in their stadium while in D1-AA that does not even hold 19K until after the latest expansion

and UNT is not in the CUSA as of now and this is one of the few articles that even mentions them for the CUSA

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

I never talked about size of media markets, but even if talking about them UTSA still drew twice as many fans in their first year of football VS UNT in their new stadium

and size of a media market only matters if the people in that media market care about the product being offered

UNT has only managed to draw under 19K fans in their best season several years ago and they only managed to draw under 19K in their first season in a new stadium only a few thousand more than TxState in their stadium while in D1-AA that does not even hold 19K until after the latest expansion

and UNT is not in the CUSA as of now and this is one of the few articles that even mentions them for the CUSA

Go away. We don't care about your grudge.

• Upvote 2

You need to think about the competitive balance of the markets though. Nothing to do in San Marcos on a Saturday where as here in the Metroplex, there is sooo much happening. Just pointing this out. And I swear to God dude the "UNT barely drew more than TxState while in a new stadium" bit has been way overplayed by you. You've mentioned it at least 5 times on this board. We get it. You are jealous.

• Upvote 3

Market is first, competitiveness second, attendance somewhere in the double digits. I think I'd take Incarnate Word, Trinity or St. Mary's over UTSA. Nothing against UTSA, but all the other teams mentioned can actually beat Division 3 teams, even if St. Mary's last did the equivalent in 1916. UTSA would have to schedule an NAIA team to get a guaranteed win.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Because they gave away free tickets. Talk about how they only SOLD about 300 tickets for their road game against Sam Houston.

• Upvote 2

Finally, some sense regarding UTSA. Folks, that program is a train wreck waiting to happen. They have NOTHING good to offer a conference.

Crossing fingers and hoping to get UTSA to join the Sun Belt is "small time" thinking in the extreme.

I give utsa credit, they did put together some nice schedules. Look at their 2013 lineup. Does anyone really think the "roadkill" will win any of these games? No, not even New Mex. or Rice. Enough slaughters and no student or casual fan will make the cross town drive to see them play.

at New Mexico Lobos

Oklahoma State Cowboys

at Arizona Wildcats

Cougars Houston Cougars

Rice Owls

at Virginia Cavaliers

Just some thoughts

I think many are selling UTSA short.

They have a massive home base to market to, that is starving for a college football program. Any major football program, really. Should UTSA pull off a big win down the road some time soon, and they very well could considering their coach, they will start to sell a lot of tickets.

Obviously we are in a holding pattern right now? At least that is what the lack of information concerning our own program in regards to conference realignment, and the sad state that is our recently announced home schedule, is telling us? At least that is the tiny shred of hope donors and ticket holders have to cling to for this next season.

If that is true, that this is all a holding pattern in which the future is being built upon, then the powers that be have to consider UTSA and their gazillion tv's they could bring in. The Roadrunners don't look all that attractive now. But what about in 5 years? If they become attractive by then you will want them locked in. If they don't, you've got a great affordable road trip to vacation to every other year.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I give utsa credit, they did put together some nice schedules. Look at their 2013 lineup. Does anyone really think the "roadkill" will win any of these games? No, not even New Mex. or Rice. Enough slaughters and no student or casual fan will make the cross town drive to see them play.

at New Mexico Lobos

Oklahoma State Cowboys

at Arizona Wildcats

Cougars Houston Cougars

Rice Owls

at Virginia Cavaliers

every one of these games will be defeats that would make Todd Dodge look like Bear Bryant. I don't expect a one of these games to be closer than 30 points further dismantling what meager support base UTSA actually has (minus giving away everything). San Antonio is not a football town but if they were... UTSA is not the product that will deliver what they craved.