Benson's move could open doors for UTSA, Texas State

Harry

As it stands the WAC, with only seven football-playing members beginning this fall, will cease to exist as a viable FBS conference if it can't find at least one more in the next few years. Lose any more, the WAC could cease to exist altogether.

Despite such turmoil, UTSA and Texas State jumped at the chance to join the league. Both were desperate for a shot at the FBS, and Benson was even more desperate to have them.

The commissioner lavished praise on the two rivals, repeatedly raising the possibility they could follow in Boise State's footsteps. He reprised the subject Thursday, saying he saw no reason why the Sun Belt can't foster the next great rags-to-riches story in college football.

Though he wasn't specifically referring to UTSA or Texas State, it was another shred of circumstantial detail.

Not only does Benson have relationships with both schools, there could be a limited number of candidates with which to reload the Sun Belt.

The possibility of a WAC/Sun Belt merger was being broached as far back as last winter. But geography, one of the key factors in the WAC's decline, would seemingly eliminate Utah State, San Jose State and Idaho. New Mexico State is closer, and has joined the Sun Belt before, but bypassing the prime Texas market to get there would be a strange move.

That leaves Louisiana Tech and the Lone Star twins. Tech and UTSA were among 10 potential Mountain West/C-USA targets listed recently by ESPN. But four already reside in the Sun Belt, and the rest all have various shortcomings.

So do UTSA (facilities, development) and Texas State (small market). Take everything into account, however, and it's virtually impossible to imagine Benson won't take a long, hard look at both.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/local_colleges/article/Benson-move-could-open-door-for-rivals-3338113.php#ixzz1mfGh3QSc

Both UTSA & Texas State - SM have shown impressive improvements in academics over the last 10 years of so. They're both big, fast-growing schools with ambitions in athletics - sorta like UNT. I have no problem being in a conference with either. I just don't want it to be the Sun Belt.

If the SBC adds a 1AA team it will be Appalachian State a better fit for most of the SBC and they have the history of a established fanbase.

They're a very realistic possibility but I think Benson and even some of the other presidents and AD's could get very interested in the fact that they're adding two very big state schools from Texas and they're located in the part of the state that has a lot of rich talent for recruiting. San Antonio is a destination city and while San Marcos is nothing to brag about they're a school that is improving tremendously like UNT and they're really committed to athletics.

If the SBC adds two 1AA teams one will be Appalachian State a better fit for most of the SBC and they have the history of a established fanbase.

Why are they a better fit? UNT, ULL, and ULM are all significantly closer to TS-SM and UTSA. For South Bama, Troy, and A-State it's pretty much a wash either way. The F_Us are quite a bit closer, but I don't see the fit. No one from those schools is driving to Boone, NC, and it's a whole lot cheaper and easier to fly to San Antone. The only schools Appy State is clearly a "better fit" for are WKY and MTSU.

That said, I'm not that into taking any 1-AA school. If I had to choose one, it would be TS-SM.

• Upvote 1

Why are they a better fit? UNT, ULL, and ULM are all significantly closer to TS-SM and UTSA. For South Bama, Troy, and A-State it's pretty much a wash either way. The F_Us are quite a bit closer, but I don't see the fit. No one from those schools is driving to Boone, NC, and it's a whole lot cheaper and easier to fly to San Antone. The only schools Appy State is clearly a "better fit" for are WKY and MTSU.

That said, I'm not that into taking any 1-AA school. If I had to choose one, it would be TS-SM.

When adding members to a conference, especially a conference made up of schools with very limited budgets you also have to think of the Olympic sports and the cost of travel.

While it might be cheaper to fly into San Antone adding two schools from the west doubles the cost for WKU, MTSU, TROY, FIU, FAU and USA is a wash. Three of the five are with in bus trips and probably all five for most Olympic sports. It also set up a possibility of true east/west divisions if we could bring in a Louisiana Tech. Louisiana schools are in bad shape when it comes to budgets and Direct institutional support and Student fees and that includes Louisiana Tech.

Like you I don't like the ideal of adding 1AA schools but if we do it will be what's best for the whole conference and the only way you do that is to add a west and east school and not two from the far reaches of the conference (2 western or 2 eastern). While football is the driving factor in all of this...money has to be right up there in the non revenue conferences like the SBC.

The most important thing the presidents of the MWC, CUSA and the Sun Belt have to do is get it right the first time. It's all about the economy and natural rivalries.

It's the only way any of these schools can survive.

Natural rivalries obviously had zero to do with the C-USA - MWC merger.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

Natural rivalries obviously had zero to do with the C-USA - MWC merger.

They are not finished yet. To do it right some universities won't make it. Deciding who they are is the tough part. In order to include all they may make the wrong decision from an economical standpoint. The cost of gas is not going down in our lifetimes. Fewer people will be able to even buy season tickets let alone travel to away games. Even if they get it right it will only buy a little time. Just my opinion.

Foreclosers are expected to rise 25% this year alone.

Factor in the Unites States is bankrupted, well you figure it out.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I totally had a brain fart and wasn't thinking about USA joining in football to bring the eastern part of the conference up to six teams. So I guess the ideal pick ups would be La Tech (with their greater than thou attitude) and any addition will have to add another Texas school as a rival/travel partner for UNT. With the east/west that would or should cut down on some travel cost.

I wish the new commissioner could pull it off and make all members see that would probably be better in the long run for all teams involved instead of one or two of our members getting jumpy.

Here's something else that's going to happen or at least I think it has no other choice but happen...easier to get home and home with the teams that's joining the world wide conference. With so many members that cuts down on OOC teams you can schedule. So they have three choices. 1. Play money games and take a butt kicking 2. buy home games or 3. Schedule home games with close regional teams from the SBC or WAC (if it's still around) or the MAC...no other choices out there.

To go bowling you need wins so that cuts out playing over 1 for pay game and if you look at the budget for the teams in the MWC and CUSA there's not one school that can afford to buy a game with the SBC, WAC or MAC. So that means they need 2 home and home. With the cost of travel I would think most would end up scheduling regional games that will put butts in the seats. Of course I could be totally wrong on that but is there many other choices for a 18 team conference? Well I guess they could play 10 or 11 game conference schedule but that would get boring...fast

• Upvote 2

The potential is there for a 16-team Sun Belt if Benson so chooses. With that many a lot of travel costs could be cut. Among the candidates could be New Mexico State, UTSA, Texas State, Louisiana Tech, Appalachian State, Charlotte, Georgia State, and Georgia Southern.

An expansion of that magnitude would water down the conference and further the perception of the Sun Belt being a gateway conference. We do not know how many Sun Belt schools will be added to the new alliance. When the time comes, there will be plenty of willing candidates for the Sun Belt to choose from. I see no need to talk about a 16 team Sun Belt. To be totally honest, I think the idea of a WAC merger is bad. If the Sun Belt reached a point where a merger was necessary, the Belt should pursue a merger with the MAC first. But, with Benson now running the show, I'm sure that won't happen. Hopefully UNT will not be in the Belt when these choices need to be made.

I don't know why so many people want to help schools that we shouldn't allow in our conference, compete against for recruits, and are miles behind us in the college football world.

This isn't 1994. We are not just becoming an FBS program. That fact that so many want this just for convenience and the misguided hope that it would create some, any rivalry says a lot about the psychy of UNT fans.

Always settle.

• Upvote 1

Any SBC expansion should NOT include throwing a preserver to USU, SJSU, and Idaho, even if it were for football only. I never want to see my team play in that damn airplane hanger in Moscow, ID ever again.

As for Texas State-San Marcos and UTSA, I'm barely lukewarm to the idea of their inclusion. But, if we were to be in a SBC with them, we'd better damn well take care of business against them on the field.

The potential is there for a 16-team Sun Belt if Benson so chooses. With that many a lot of travel costs could be cut. Among the candidates could be New Mexico State, UTSA, Texas State, Louisiana Tech, Appalachian State, Charlotte, Georgia State, and Georgia Southern.

Why not just give up and join the Lone Star Conference?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Why not just give up and join the Lone Star Conference?

I understand the sarcasm but here's my perspective on that.

Benson and the WAC got burned so badly that he needs to do his best to protect the former WAC members that he led astray; especially UTSA, Texas State, UTA, and Denver. I believe that San Jose State and Utah State will eventually be in the MWC-CUSA, Alliance, National, whatever if it goes to 24. In fact, I hope that they do to protect us from having to move west as UTEP did. I expect Idaho to return to the Big Sky. Seattle needs to find another conference. Denver is being looked at by the Alliance to even out the sports that Hawaii is taking to the West Coast Conference. If he can get UTSA, Texas State, New Mexico State and UTA (non-football) approved he will have taken care of his old conference members.

To prevent that from happening again he needs to add a few FCS members to the Sun Belt before the next raid. Appalachian State could be an easy transition. In spite of being stuck in the Great Smokies forest they draw more than 20K every game. Charlotte will be a great franchise one day but they need an FBS invitation for their football program. I threw in Georgia State (great facility in Atlanta) and Georgia Southern, who has been an FCS power in the past. I don't know how many there would be room for but they should all be good in time.

Now if you think that there won't be any expansion consider that the SEC will need two more members; the ACC also; the Big Twelve another two (or more) and the Big East may have to replace several who go to other conferences. The Alliance will furnish most of those moving up so they will replenish from the Sun Belt or MAC. If the Belt gets stripped and has not elevated some FCS teams they'll be hurting as the WAC was.