CUSA contacts Temple: Merger changes weekly

Harry

After Memphis’ decision to leave for the Big East on Tuesday, Conference USA officials immediately contacted Temple to gauge the Owls’ interest in moving from the Mid-American Conference to C-USA, college football industry sources told CBSSports.com.

Temple thought it would receive the Big East’s invitation and was stunned the Big East invited Memphis. The Owls were former Big East members before getting dismissed from the league in 2004. Temple has been a member of the MAC since 2007 and in the past three seasons has a 26-12 record under former coach Al Golden and current coach Steve Addazio.

It’s unknown if the Owls would welcome a move to C-USA since there’s still the possibility the Big East could have more future openings if the Big 12 expands to 11 and takes Louisville. If that happens, Temple would be back on the Big East’s radar.

The future of Conference USA is also unknown. C-USA and the Mountain West are considering a merger or will dissolve the two leagues into one. With Memphis gone, will the leagues still combine or decide its better to go at it alone? One source said the possibility of the C-USA/MWC merger “changes weekly.”

If C-USA and the MWC did combine as an all-sports league it would consist of: Southern Miss, Marshall, East Carolina, UAB, Tulsa, Rice, UTEP and Tulane from C-USA and Wyoming, Air Force, Colorado State, UNLV, New Mexico, Fresno State, Nevada and Hawaii from the MWC. Hawaii would be a football-only member, making a 15-team all-sports conference and a 16-team football conference, not including Temple

Read More: http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/34753656

My best guess as of today.

Merger gets done within the next 90 days. Utah State gets invited to the western side as a full member. Temple goes to the east football only. League has 18 for football and 16 for all-sports and then they take a breath and try to figure out if they are safe or need to add a couple more to protect against more Big East raids.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't want to be in the CUSA anymore. The Sun Belt is getting quite strong. Tony Mitchell has given the conference national recognition, MTSU and Denver are turning heads as well in basketball, we look to be a MAJOR force next year. Arkansas State is getting scary good, WKU moving up, UNT also moving up with our beautiful new stadium, FIU/FAU, etc. The Sun Belt has more to offer than CUSA, except for regional opponents. We should raid WAC and grab some of these teams and stick with the Belt.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

CUSA>>>>>>>>>>>Sun Belt. While I agree w/ you than the Sun Belt has gotten marginally better over the last few years, there are still some pretty solid programs in CUSA. Southern Miss, ECU, Tulsa, and Marshall have all had some pretty good success in recent years that dwarf anything that any member of the Sun Belt has accomplished. There are some bottom feeders (Rice, Tulane, UTEP, UAB) but every conference has a few of those. I think the next logical move for CUSA is to expand. Add La Tech, UNT, and UT-San Antonio now. La Tech is a program on the rise, UNT has committed itself financially to being competitive in CUSA, and UT-San Antonio is a mega wildcard in a huge market. They're worth the risk for CUSA to maintain a presence in Texas. After that, jettison UTEP to the MWC. So the end result is the following?

MWC - Hawaii, Colorado State, Fresno State, Wyoming, New Mexico, Nevada, UNLV, UTEP, Utah State, Air Force (could bolt for Big East)

CUSA - Tulsa, Rice, UNT, Tulane, UAB, Southern Miss, East Carolina, La Tech, UT-San Antonio, Marshall

Not sure if I left anyone out but that is a solid "merger" between the two conferences. CUSA keeps a foothold in Texas with Rice, UNT, and UT-San Antonio and adds a rising program that is regionally friendly in La Tech. UNT would have several opponents within a reasonable driving distance that would interest the casual fan a hell of a lot more than UL-Lafayette, Western Kentucky, South Alabama, etc. The real hiccup is trying to convince CUSA to be BOLD. So far that hasn't been their strong suit.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

La.Tech?

The second most famous school in Lincoln Parish?

The one just now expanding facilities up to Sun Belt standards?

The one with the recruiting class that would have been 10th in the Sun Belt and was fourth in the WAC?

The one that had two recruits flip late to Arkansas State to replace kids who flipped to SEC schools?

They have a good program but they are no dream program.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

CUSA>>>>>>>>>>>Sun Belt. While I agree w/ you than the Sun Belt has gotten marginally better over the last few years, there are still some pretty solid programs in CUSA. Southern Miss, ECU, Tulsa, and Marshall have all had some pretty good success in recent years that dwarf anything that any member of the Sun Belt has accomplished. There are some bottom feeders (Rice, Tulane, UTEP, UAB) but every conference has a few of those. I think the next logical move for CUSA is to expand. Add La Tech, UNT, and UT-San Antonio now. La Tech is a program on the rise, UNT has committed itself financially to being competitive in CUSA, and UT-San Antonio is a mega wildcard in a huge market. They're worth the risk for CUSA to maintain a presence in Texas. After that, jettison UTEP to the MWC. So the end result is the following?

MWC - Hawaii, Colorado State, Fresno State, Wyoming, New Mexico, Nevada, UNLV, UTEP, Utah State, Air Force (could bolt for Big East)

CUSA - Tulsa, Rice, UNT, Tulane, UAB, Southern Miss, East Carolina, La Tech, UT-San Antonio, Marshall

Not sure if I left anyone out but that is a solid "merger" between the two conferences. CUSA keeps a foothold in Texas with Rice, UNT, and UT-San Antonio and adds a rising program that is regionally friendly in La Tech. UNT would have several opponents within a reasonable driving distance that would interest the casual fan a hell of a lot more than UL-Lafayette, Western Kentucky, South Alabama, etc. The real hiccup is trying to convince CUSA to be BOLD. So far that hasn't been their strong suit.

Marshall hasn't done squat in CUSA. In 7 years in CUSA they have two winning seasons. Both were 7-6. Their glory years were in I-AA or the MAC.

East Carolina is 56-69 the last 10 years in CUSA. Their best record during that time was 9-5 which they did twice. They did have a couple of good wins over Va Tech and one other big school that escapes me (W. Virginia?) but they tanked later after those wins.

Southen Miss has been the only consistent winner among those three. They were 12-2 this year which is their best season in a long time but they've had a lot of 7-6s the past 10 years along with a couple 9-5s.

I could make a pretty good case that Troy has been better than at least ECU and Marshall over the past 10 years and equal to USM in most years. USM beat Troy 30-27 in OT in a bowl game during that time.

After all of the defections, you could make a damn good case that the Sun Belt has been pretty equal to CUSA in football and probably better in basketball.

• Upvote 2

Marshall hasn't done squat in CUSA. In 7 years in CUSA they have two winning seasons. Both were 7-6. Their glory years were in I-AA or the MAC.

East Carolina is 56-69 the last 10 years in CUSA. Their best record during that time was 9-5 which they did twice. They did have a couple of good wins over Va Tech and one other big school that escapes me (W. Virginia?) but they tanked later after those wins.

Southen Miss has been the only consistent winner among those three. They were 12-2 this year which is their best season in a long time but they've had a lot of 7-6s the past 10 years along with a couple 9-5s.

I could make a pretty good case that Troy has been better than at least ECU and Marshall over the past 10 years and equal to USM in most years. USM beat Troy 30-27 in OT in a bowl game during that time.

After all of the defections, you could make a damn good case that the Sun Belt has been pretty equal to CUSA in football and probably better in basketball.

One of the basketball guys can correct me but of the remaining CUSA teams after the defections, has any of those teams made it to the sweet sixteen? Have any of those teams received an at-large bid? I know Tulsa was very good and probably has but that was 10+ years ago I think. UAB?

• Upvote 1

One of the basketball guys can correct me but of the remaining CUSA teams after the defections, has any of those teams made it to the sweet sixteen? Have any of those teams received an at-large bid? I know Tulsa was very good and probably has but that was 10+ years ago I think. UAB?

In 2009-2010 UTEP lost in the final of the C-USA tournament to Houston and still received an at-large invite...

They lost to Butler in the first round 77-59 (after being ahead by 6 at the half)...

And, ancient history I know but, UTEP on Saturday night is honoring their 1992 Sweet Sixteen team that beat #1 Kansas...

And of course there is the 1966 National Championship team... Also ancient history, however...

Even after the defections, CUSA is an infinitely better place for UNT than the Sun Belt. The casual fan is more inclined to see a game with Southern Miss, Tulsa, and Rice than anybody in the Sun Belt. From an on-field perspective, there is no question CUSA is substantially weakened. But there is still enough there to make a decent non-BCS conference if the right pieces are added:

CUSA West - UTEP, Rice, UT-San Antonio, North Texas, Tulsa

CUSA East - La Tech, Tulane, UAB, Marshall, East Carolina

I think that is a dream scenario for UNT. Everyone in the division would be within driving distance (outside of UTEP unless you are just a glutton for punishment) and would be a better draw at the gate than anyone currently in the Sun Belt.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And no, a CUSA-Sun Belt merger would be viewed as a disaster by CUSA. MWC still has some decent programs (Nevada, Fresno State, Hawaii). Geographically I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see UTEP move to the MWC. That would also open up another spot for UNT to fit into CUSA.

• Upvote 1

And what makes USM even more of an interesting case study is that their school's endowment coffers are about half of UNT's, much less than most of the other SBC schools and is at the bottom of CUSA's.

Not that a school's endowment will make them a juggernaut of an athletic program (I defer to Rice U), but it is somewhat a barometer in many ways of a school's financial situation both present and future. Best to my understanding, though, is that no school's endowment coffers can be used in such areas as a school's athletic program or for facility construction, either.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

And what makes USM even more of an interesting case study is that their school's endowment coffers are about half of UNT's, much less than most of the other SBC schools and is at the bottom of CUSA's.

Not that a school's endowment will make them a juggernaut of an athletic program (I defer to Rice U), but it is somewhat a barometer in many ways of a school's financial situation both present and future. Best to my understanding, though, is that no school's endowment coffers can be used in such areas as a school's athletic program or for facility construction, either.

GMG!

I think that applys to Texas public schools, private schools can do as they please.

O really doubt that UTSA or Texas St. have the wherewithall to leave their present conference.

My best guess as of today.

Merger gets done within the next 90 days. Utah State gets invited to the western side as a full member. Temple goes to the east football only. League has 18 for football and 16 for all-sports and then they take a breath and try to figure out if they are safe or need to add a couple more to protect against more Big East raids.

from what i read, which you can take with a grain of salt, Temple does not want to leave A-10 in basketball, which which goes along with your best guess that they to CUSA for football only. i still can't get over Memphis to Big East for all sports. that gives them CFU,MEmphis,Houston, and SMU for all sports,and NAVY,BOISE,and SDSU football only. looks like they are hedging their bets should Louisville bolt for Big 12.

from what i read, which you can take with a grain of salt, Temple does not want to leave A-10 in basketball, which which goes along with your best guess that they to CUSA for football only. i still can't get over Memphis to Big East for all sports. that gives them CFU,MEmphis,Houston, and SMU for all sports,and NAVY,BOISE,and SDSU football only. looks like they are hedging their bets should Louisville bolt for Big 12.

Big East is playing the same game the Alliance is playing. OH CRAP WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING NOW!!!!

The Big East and Alliance are cobbling up coast-to-coast leagues that are inherently unstable because there are so few "we want to play each" groupings or pairings in them. Look at the Alliance concept. One of the foundational principles is they want to create divisions so large they don't play anyone from the other division. That's not a conference, it's a mini-NCAA.

• Upvote 2

Here's what I think is happening. You have the have-nots saying to the haves, look if we consolidate our conferences to the point that the number of conference champs are reduced making a playoff feasible will you let us have a legit chance at a national title?

No one knows that answer for sure yet. However, if the answer is yes, more than likely not all the teams currently in the 1A so called BCS will make it into one of those conferences. That's what all the tension is about.

To bad that USA, MWC, Sunbelt and to a lessor extent the wac don't consolidate these schools in an economical way, thereby creating rivalrys.

Opinion only.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1

Here's what I think is happening. You have the have-nots saying to the haves, look if we consolidate our conferences to the point that the number of conference champs are reduced making a playoff feasible will you let us have a legit chance at a national title?

No one knows that answer for sure yet. However, if the answer is yes, more than likely not all the teams currently in the 1A so called BCS will make it into one of those conferences. That's what all the tension is about.

To bad that USA, MWC, Sunbelt and to a lessor extent the wac don't consolidate these schools in an economical way, thereby creating rivalrys.

Opinion only.

Right now, if I were rating worst possible places to be an AD it would be roughly this"

1. Idaho

2. NMSU

3. Texas State

4. SJSU

5. UTSA

6. ULM

There is a chance that the merry-go-round is going to spin a lot faster and they've got the weakest hold on to it and the greatest danger of being spun off.

• Upvote 1

La.Tech?

The second most famous school in Lincoln Parish?

The one just now expanding facilities up to Sun Belt standards?

The one with the recruiting class that would have been 10th in the Sun Belt and was fourth in the WAC?

The one that had two recruits flip late to Arkansas State to replace kids who flipped to SEC schools?

They have a good program but they are no dream program.

perception sometimes becomes reality. i don't understand the perception that La. Tech has the market, budget, and fan base to be considered for CUSA, but they are. go figure.

• Upvote 1

perception sometimes becomes reality. i don't understand the perception that La. Tech has the market, budget, and fan base to be considered for CUSA, but they are. go figure.

1) It's a cleverly crafted scheme, an illusion created by the LATech Administration which has successfully deceived the presidents of the MWC and CUSA schools..............

2) The presidents of the member schools of CUSA and the MWC are just plain stupid.........

3) Or somebody owes someone one big ass favor.

Most if not all Sun Belt teams are a better option than LaTech.

It should be the Sun Belt and CUSA talking about merging from a geographical and potential aspect.

opinion only

Edited by meangreenbob

Right now, if I were rating worst possible places to be an AD it would be roughly this"

1. Idaho

2. NMSU

3. Texas State

4. SJSU

5. UTSA

6. ULM

There is a chance that the merry-go-round is going to spin a lot faster and they've got the weakest hold on to it and the greatest danger of being spun off.

Great analogy! +1

Great analogy! +1

if the WAC falls apart, schools like IDAHO and NMSU, just to name a few, may have to drop down. regardless of what happens with the CUSA/MWC merger, i feel the Belt comes out stronger, and has a chance to pick up at least 2 WAC teams to create regional east/west divisions.

1. Idaho

2. NMSU

3. Texas State

4. SJSU

5. UTSA

6. ULM

I agree with the first two. Texas State and UTSA might have a decent chance at the Sun Belt, especially if Benson becomes commissioner. SJSU, because it's in such a large market (and this expansion seems all about market size) has a decent chance at the MWC whatever. ULM hardly has the budget for the Southland; which is where they belong. However, I doubt that they'll ever be voted out (particularly to let Louisiana Tech in because of Tech's past attitude toward the SBC).

By the way, while I don't like La Tech's attitude toward the Belt I can certainly understand it. They went to a pretty solid conference (at the time) and continued to receive great payouts as teams departed, so why not stay? It's just that the golden goose has been stolen and it's time for them to leave. If they can't get in the Alliance then the Sun Belt becomes their only alternative so their AD can't be too comfortable as well.

I'd also add Utah State to that list. If you check their record and facilities they don't measure up to a higher profile conference. Beautiful school with good basketball and academics but a less than stellar football record and following.

Edited by GrayEagle