Vitriolic Hatred Of SMU: Why?

SMU2006

I just wub' SMU!:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :mellow::o:innocent:

:devil: (No, you don't PMG! What the hell's wrong with you? Remember the CONSPIRACY theories "I " kept putting in your head all those decades)? Take your hip-hop "wub SMU" talk elsewhere, bud'! COMPRENDE?!?" (Lucifer)

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

We'll all be AQ by 2013 or 2014 according to media types, SMU will have one helluva' eastern based travel schedule and another local rivalry :argue: (There! I Said It-- the "R" word); anyhow, another local game that has most always drawn good crowds is not a bad idea; maybe not every year but more often than has ever happened in the history of this series.

It's a new era in today's NCAA and probably time to develop some new attitudes (starting with me toward the top of that list).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I'm not from these parts, so I have neither history with nor hatred for SMU. In fact, I have nothing. I am completely indifferent, and disregard SMU completely, having never to my knowledge even encountered an SMU alum.

All I know is that I drove up to Denton, got a graduate business degree, and walked out the door with a kick-ass job. All for a fraction of what the same degree, with the same resulting job, would cost had I gone down Mockingbird way.

If there is any scorn I hold for SMU, it's those god awful radio ads for "Executive MBA's" at the Cox School of Business that "Cost more, but are better." Horse shit. If that isn't the Pink Polo mentality I've heard so much about being bandied around the FM dial, then I don't know what is.

Bottom line: UNT degrees work. Unless your last name is Bush or Clinton or some such ilk, I don't care how much your degree costs. You're starting out in the same place I am, and we'll match wits in the free market from there on out, nobody ever bothering to ask our alma maters again. Everything else, results on the field, logos on personalized license plates, season tickets sold, conference affiliation, or number of pristine hedges on campus, is secondary.

• Upvote 4

UNT has played SMU more than anyone else. I guess I don't understand why everyone is so mad at them for not playing us when they have played us more than UT, Tech, A&M, Baylor, and TCU.

According to the 2011 UNT media guide, SMU tied with New Mexico State as the Mean Green's second most played opponent (33 games). Texas State is the UNT's most played opponent (39 games).

I can't help but see the irony in this considering some of the same reasons a possible Bobcats/Mean Green OOC game have been shot down around here are many of the same reasons the Mustangs talk about with UNT...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can't help but see the irony in this considering some of the same reasons a possible Bobcats/Mean Green OOC game have been shot down around here are many of the same reasons the Mustangs talk about with UNT...

:huh:

We just played TS-SM in basketball last year. And I wouldn't have any problem playing them in football OOC once they go 1-A. It wouldn't excite me as much as some other matchups, but I'd be fine with it. Really, I'd be good with having them as a conference mate in the Belt.

But I don't think the comparison is that close . . . the possibilities for a rivalry and big sellouts are not nearly as great for a school 5 hours away as for a school 45 minutes away.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

According to the 2011 UNT media guide, SMU tied with New Mexico State as the Mean Green's second most played opponent (33 games). Texas State is the UNT's most played opponent (39 games).

I'd rather have the TSU Bobcats on our schedule this next Fall over the TSU Tigers only because TSU-SM would bring more fans.

As a non-SWC program, North Texas does have about a 40 year head start on TSU-SM & UTSA as far as having been a member of the NCAA's highest level of competition beginning with our integrating the Southwest with All American Abner Haynes along with his Sun Bowl team to the next decade with the Mean Joe Greene crowd leading into the Hayden Fry era in the 70's. North Texas leadership dropped the football big time with the 1-AA business, but we are back on track again I believe with a disciple of Hayden Fry as our head football coach.

No, North Texas cannot compare to SMU with their legacy which the SWC gave them actually starting with the Doak Walker era when SMU became a national program, but their own leadership dropped the ball post Doak Walker Era and the Dallas Cowboys entry into the city of Dallas and the NFL in 1960. Most of their success during this era was tainted by PonyGate and few college football fans think that paid football players does not a major college football program make.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

Also, no one has really addressed why UNT fans seem to embrace TCU while they cuss SMU. Walk around that campus and tell me there aren't just as many BMW's and kids spending daddy's money. TCU is very similar to SMU in that regard. If its a Dallas-Fort Worth thing I can get that. But don't act like TCU and TCU alums don't have their fair share of silver spooners too.

I graduated from UNT or NTSU in 1966....... To me is all about the lack of respect for us. For me over 46 years of it. Yes the SWC deal is part of it but I do understand that why SMU which led the fight against us feared having a large state university compete with them in their back yard. Far worse are all of the items I have read over the years and heard from SMU grads. Even the DMN has throughout the years have printed insulting remarks about us by SMU personal and made crazy claims such as they have the best or only what ever program in the area when then know it isn't true... this has included the music program which isn't even close.... more UNT alums have Grammies than any other university in the USA. SMU have bragged about have a great computer program and first in the area when UNT had the first accredited program in Texas and I think in the first group in the USA.... I could go on.... It is ALL about the lack of respect by SMU to us....

TCU.... I have never seen that attitude by them.... Even their grads in the workplace are far more respectful and don't display "GEE I am great attitude". . Maybe you are respectful... but a lot of your fellow grads aren't. That is the complete difference.... It is not about how many BMW's yawl have ... but I see you sure mentioned that so that must be on your mind as a reason to be superior and throwing that in to our face as well. That is so typical... money..money..money is yawls evaluation of worth.... yawl just don't get it .... Show some respect to others... It is not just us... nearly everyone has a similar opinion of SMU.... arrogant SOBs is being nice to what many think. you likely just hear it more from us because we are so close to yawl.

Read your own board.... they still refer to us a North Texas Teachers College..... which we haven't been since the 1930's. We have been UNT for nearly three decades. and your posters refuse to call us that. It is all about about respect.

Many have mentioned athletics and the way SMU has treated us there.... but to me that is a minor thing. I care less if we ever play yawl again in anything. Your Death Penalty was also a lack of respect for rules and thinking it didn't apply to them. A couple more were so not clean either but not that bad. Basketball then was just as bad... the basketball guy that got in trouble at Baylor later had been the SMU coach then.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

I guess I should have specified FBS teams because that is what I meant. Anyway we average having SMU on the schedule 1 out of every 3 years. They already play TCU every year, does anyone know of any other school that isn't independent that has two set in stone non conference matchups every year? I am guessing there are few if any.

• Upvote 1

fouts,

I agree with you however. SMU isn't and will never be Harvard. That said, there is no reason SMU can't be in that next tier of elite privates. One of the really interesting new initiatives at SMU is requiring undergrads to live on-campus for at a minimum of two years. I'm optimistic about where SMU is headed both academically and on the athletic field. The Big East will provide us a level of visibility that we need on the east coast. As of last year, over half of the incoming freshmen were not from Texas. I think the goal is for there to be a 50-50 balance between Texans/out of state students.

Let me get this straight, you actually take PRIDE in the fact that your school is made up of a majority of non-Texans, yet your school is located in Texas? I think that's pathetic, and that pompous East Coast oriented attitude certainly will not go over well with your neighbors. And your neighbors just happen to be Texans.

• Upvote 2

First off, I'm an SMU alum and this is not a flame thread. My wife is a UNT alum and I've been to the campus several times. That said, I started lurking this board around the time that SMU started recruiting Chase Walling and was stunned by the hatred of SMU.

First off, congratulations on marrying a North Texas lady; there are some great ones, for sure.

That said, I'm conflicted about the whole hatin' on SMU thing. On the one hand is one of my fellow students at North Texas who graduated with a bachelor's, went on to SMU law and a brilliant career while remaining the nicest fellow you could hope to meet. On the other hand is the experience from the only game I attended there, (in a very well attended game BTW) when afterwards, seeing an older SMU alum in line next to me at a nearby cafe, I said to him "good game". He said nothing, but looked at me as though I were a steaming pile someones dog had just left on his perfectly manicured lawn. I actually still think it was a good game; just wish our center hadn't snapped the ball over our quarterback's head when we still had a chance to win late in the game.

But hey, welcome to the board; here's hoping we'll hear from you after we put a good whipping on the ponies next time we play. And those OL guys? I like the ones we replaced them with better; they're the hard working type we need. And I'm actually kind of sorry for y'all seeming to be stuck in a bad marriage with your head coach, but happy to see the support for an inner city ministry coming from staff of a school that people say is so snooty and elitist.

Oh, here's something that will just kill some folks from both sides to think about: our series coming up may be the best attended home games of those years for either school. At least you'll get to see a great marching band, and a stadium full of folks who use the correct name for your school.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2

None of us are consumed with SMU buddy, I don't know where you got that from. I'm only 21, and have been on message boards for 3 years or so now, and there's only two boards I never want to visit again. SMU's and Louisiana Techs. If you visit the frog board, they're usually way more complementary than yours. A big part of it for me is the 30/30 that I watched with your arrogant alums who refused to even adknowledge the wrongdoing. I understand that was a long time ago, but the egos I saw in that sealed the deal for me.

• Upvote 1

None of us are consumed with SMU buddy, I don't know where you got that from. I'm only 21, and have been on message boards for 3 years or so now, and there's only two boards I never want to visit again. SMU's and Louisiana Techs. If you visit the frog board, they're usually way more complementary than yours. A big part of it for me is the 30/30 that I watched with your arrogant alums who refused to even adknowledge the wrongdoing. I understand that was a long time ago, but the egos I saw in that sealed the deal for me.

--- I know a SMU alum who a couple of years ago at a Christmas party that who starting complaining about other colleges ( I think mainly blaming UT that was on TV at the time) for turning them in for cheating. Oddly he was the one that brought it up... not anyone else. He just didn't get it at all... they were cheating big time paying players to play. When another person asked him, "They were cheating weren't they??" He had a miserable answer.

---About other boards... as I posted earlier.... our dislike of them is all about the lack of respect for us ... or anyone else really. TCU and their alums don't do what SMU and their alums do..

Interesting and informative responses by most. Glad I brought it up. As far as being "proud" that half our students are non-Texans I wouldn't say that it is a point of pride. If you look at private schools around the country they all have relatively large out of state student populations. For SMU, it's about having a national presence. I also think that meeting and interacting with people from around the country in college is a good thing. I can certainly see where some of the bitterness towards SMU is coming from now. I won't post too much on here unless its regarding conference realignment. I hope UNT can position itself well to move up in the coming years.

BTW, to the guy who thinks we will buy our way out of the UNT series, I highly doubt we do that. Its an easy travel game with low costs and we will need a few more games in the state of Texas once we head to the Big East. Houston will be our only conference mate in-state.

Interesting and informative responses by most. Glad I brought it up. As far as being "proud" that half our students are non-Texans I wouldn't say that it is a point of pride. If you look at private schools around the country they all have relatively large out of state student populations. For SMU, it's about having a national presence. I also think that meeting and interacting with people from around the country in college is a good thing. I can certainly see where some of the bitterness towards SMU is coming from now. I won't post too much on here unless its regarding conference realignment. I hope UNT can position itself well to move up in the coming years.

BTW, to the guy who thinks we will buy our way out of the UNT series, I highly doubt we do that. Its an easy travel game with low costs and we will need a few more games in the state of Texas once we head to the Big East. Houston will be our only conference mate in-state.

---SMU will be almost begging Texas area teams to play them.... attendence at SMU games has been awful and the Big East teams are not going to bring many of their fans into the stadium. SMU's only large crowds will be when they can schedule some "somewhat local" teams.. You "may" get a bit more national exposure but I suspect at a terrific cost financially... remember there are sports other than football than will need to travel. Your student athletes especially non football will miss a ridiculious amount of class time. It was all about recognition and image (typical SMU)... not the students. Few alums/students will travel to your out of area games ... that won't help your alums school spirit either..

---I do agree with you that SMU is not about to buy their way out of the UNT games.... they need games with Texas area schools even more now... for cash (crowds) and recruiting.

I agree that SMU will need to keep our Texas-based nonconference schedule intact for attendance/recruiting/budget/etc.

However, one of the things that needs to be considered is the looming TV deal that the Big East will get here in the next year. Depending on who you talk to the annual share per school from that TV deal will be anywhere from 5-15M per school. That is terrific news for a school like SMU that runs a deficit every year in athletics. Also, I'm excited about road games at San Diego State, Boise State, Cincinnati, Louisville, Rutgers, and South Florida. Those will be fun trips. In the next few years we have non-conference games with TCU, Texas Tech, A&M, Baylor, and UNT. I'd love for there to be some kind of consistent rotation of these schools. I've even heard whispers that A&M and SMU are considering a yearly matchup with the Aggies headed to the SEC. We will see how that actually plays out but I'd love to have A&M on the schedule every year. I'm stunned that they're actually going to play us at Ford next year. That'll be a terrific atmosphere.

I was once blocked a day or two for saying N*Z*. and others post his picture.... wierd.

You know who might be really upset by this...maybe kick a few people out of his office, go on an emotional yelling rant...make a few ladies in the hallway weep...

• Upvote 3

First off, I'm an SMU alum and this is not a flame thread. My wife is a UNT alum and I've been to the campus several times. I have several friends and family members that have attended UNT and they all have nothing but positive things to say about their experiences in Denton.

That said, I started lurking this board around the time that SMU started recruiting Chase Walling and was stunned by the hatred of SMU. I guess the real question is why? We hardly ever play each other in any sport and have absolutely no rivalry whatsoever. I could understand if there was any sort of consistent on-field or on-court rivalry, but that clearly doesn't exist. So I really wonder why so many of you are so consumed with what's going on at SMU.

Also, why the hatred for SMU and not TCU. I can understand people that think SMU is a bit of a "pink polo" culture, but have you ever stepped foot on the campus at TCU? It's the EXACT same kind of thing. Yes J.Crew makes purple shirts too only at TCU they throw on a pair of cowboy boots so I guess that makes it okay. Both are small, private schools that have a relatively large student population that come from wealthy families. However, it seems like most UNT fans on this board like TCU and hate SMU. Is this a Dallas-Fort Worth thing? I have a ton of respect for TCU, but be honest. They have their fair share of country club alums just like SMU.

For the record, I wish UNT all the best. The new stadium is a real gem and I look forward to making a trip out there in a few years to see the Ponies play. I also look forward to welcoming any of you when you make the return trip to the Hilltop. My family has a tent on The Boulevard and we never turn any fans away regardless of affiliation. I think UNT is on the right track with the new coaching staff and has a chance to vastly improve their lot in conference affiliation here in a few years if you can have a little more success on the field. CUSA was good to us at SMU. It was a marked step up from the WAC days and it provided us the platform to get the attention of the Big East. I would be very happy to see UNT in CUSA as I think they provide a real value to the conference.

I also understand hate is what makes college sports great so I take it all with a grain of salt. But I bet if some of you took the time to head over to SMU and see it for what it truly is the stereotypes of the past would melt away. SMU is a top 50 national institution with a 1.3B endowment, a presidential library, a top twenty business school, a top fifty law school, a member of a BCS conference, and has one of the most beautiful campus settings in the entire country. Are there some kids there that are on a four year vacation with daddy's money? You bet. They exist. Guess what? There are some of the same type kids at UNT and every other campus in America. SMU is a much different place in 2012 than it was in 1990. I was the son of two public school teachers in East Texas that was fortunate enough to attend SMU and met several kids at SMU who come from similar backgrounds. Not all of us were born with a silver spoon in our mouths.

Lastly, good luck with everything in the future. Again, I think UNT is headed in the right direction and I'm pulling for the Mean Green in every game that doesn't involve the Ponies. Also don't give up on the conference realignment scenarios. Its way too early for that. That story isn't written yet. With a little luck I think UNT will find itself in a very competitive league that dwarfs the Sun Belt. I'll be sure to post here if there are any rumors that invovle UNT in the CUSA-MWC merger talks. Best to all.

What does vitriolic mean?