LSU Game not going anywhere

Harry

There was some hope among a few UNT fans I have talked to over the past few weeks that the Mean Green's game against LSU next season would be moved back to another year or just dropped all together.

There was a good reason to think that might be the case with Texas A&M joining the SEC.

Well, the SEC has released its revised schedule and...

Click here to read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2011/12/doesnt-look-like-that-lsu-game.html

Good we can use the money.

If you hate payday games all you have to do is find away for the team to make an extra $750,000 and we don't have to play them.

Or we can take away the payday games and replace them with games we actually have a chance to win for a few years so people can take notice and then perhaps want to buy tickets and donate. 750K is great and all but it will never help when you're down by 50 at halftime because you'll never be taken seriously from your casual fanbase.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Good we can use the money.

If you hate payday games all you have to do is find away for the team to make an extra $750,000 and we don't have to play them.

Or we can take away the payday games and replace them with games we actually have a chance to win for a few years so people can take notice and then perhaps want to buy tickets and donate. 750K is great and all but it will never help when you're down by 50 at halftime because you'll never be taken seriously from your casual fanbase.

Tamatoe - Tamato

We're not making it very easy on ourselves to get to a bowl game...ugh...

Well we get Texas Southern & South Alabama. Throw in games vs Monroe,FAU,MTSU and I think that's 5 wins right there. Also get Troy at home. WKU lost Rainey , FIU will be without Hilton and ASU will be with a new coach.. Anything less than 6 wins next season will be a dissappointment.

Playing @ LSU & @ KState will no doubt hurt attendance. I can't see anyway possible (unless we beat one of those) we draw more people next year than what we had last

Nothing says you are more small time than opening up a season @ LSU

Edited by NT03

Playing @ LSU & @ KState will no doubt hurt attendance. I can't see anyway possible (unless we beat one of those) we draw more people next year than what we had last

No doubt we draw fewer, because we only have 5 HOME GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you meant average attendance, but having only 5 home games screams small time much more than who we open against. There should be some accountability if this is not rectified and we don't add a 6th home game.

Talk about backward steps in fundraising. no.gif

• Upvote 1

I know you meant average attendance, but having only 5 home games screams small time much more than who we open against. There should be some accountability if this is not rectified and we don't add a 6th home game.

Is it for sure that we will not add another home game? Will ticket prices be 5/6 of what they were last season?

Also, who you have as your OOC marquee team at home games gives one a hint on if we're going back to our multi-decades...3 giant steps forward--4 giant steps backwards M.O.

North Texas powers must look beyond themselves, look beyond Denton, look beyond their egos, look beyond heir high fiving the existance of Apogee Stadium for the next 10 years while during our celebration other UTSA's pass us.

The UNT president, the UNT BOR's and athletic leaders just need to sit down, dentify our problems and then solve those problems which may forever keep us from moving upward to any new conference. Seems of late we've not been too successful in the one we're in already--hint, hint.

I think we have missed the conference re-alignment boat this time around, too. Hell, La Tech may even be ahead of us for all we know. Can you only imagine the blood bath on the North Texas campus if La Tech got the CUSA nod over North Texas? I would not want to be an employee at UNT if that were to occur, but the way the NCAA conference presidents think--anything is possible. Casepoint: SMU's invite to the Big East w/o Big East officials even spending one minute checking out the 'Stangs true attendance numbers. When SMU has a home game with UConn, they will see for themselves.

Yet if North Texas had had even a half an across the board of a semi-successful football program the last 10 years CUSA or the MWC would be knocking on our front doors today IMO--but I don't see it happening because those people also see North Texas propensity to seem to always make a few steps forward then in lock-step our going backwards and back toward the womb, athletically speaking.

We really do need some friends in high places that North Texas leaders would have cultivated the last 10 years. Hope they are there for all concerned.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

For me it's not as much about who were playing, but the fact the AD promised everyone 6 home games would be the standard from now on and marquee home games against well known teams. It was also said money games would be cut to a minimal amount, but here we are with two in the second season of our new stadium, which honestly I could deal with if we had two good home games, but yeah...nope.

• Upvote 2

Yet if North Texas had had even a half an across the board of a semi-successful football program the last 10 years CUSA or the MWC would be knocking on our front doors today IMO--but I don't see it happening because those people also see North Texas propensity to seem to always make a few steps forward then in lock-step our going backwards and back toward the womb, athletically speaking.

So what was UTEP's record the decade before they got the 12th spot in CUSA. What great political allies did they have?

How is an $80 million dollar stadium a step backwards?

Dodge was a horrible hire and should have been cut after year two, but the AD was focused on finalizing the new stadium.

Instead of moaning about every move this schools makes because it will never me enough, why not do something that can actually help the university's position to get into CUSA.

If your a student attend the games, even basketball. If your an alumni by season tickets.

Attendance and season ticket sales are what matters, but until we get to that point we need payday games to pay the bills.

For me it's not as much about who were playing, but the fact the AD promised everyone 6 home games would be the standard from now on and marquee home games against well known teams. It was also said money games would be cut to a minimal amount, but here we are with two in the second season of our new stadium, which honestly I could deal with if we had two good home games, but yeah...nope.

Right now, we still have the potential to have two good? home games next year and still have a money game...LSU.

I don't remember the AD "promising" us six home games every year. Maybe he did and I just missed it. But, as long as we must have a money game, and occasionally work in a two for one to get a known opponent, there will have to be some makeup years. The alternative is to buyout some of the away games. That can get expensive and cloud future scheduling. Remember what Air Force did to us?

There will be occasions where we may have to deal with a wrinkled hundred dollar bill. We are trying to advance our conference cause and fill Apogee and we may have to give a little at times in order to accomplish that. Personally, I'll try to cut them a little slack unless I feel that I'm intentionally being misled. I certainly don't feel that way yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There will be occasions where we may have to deal with a wrinkled hundred dollar bill. We are trying to advance our conference cause and fill Apogee and we may have to give a little at times in order to accomplish that. Personally, I'll try to cut them a little slack unless I feel that I'm intentionally being misled. I certainly don't feel that way yet.

You don't fill Apogee Stadium and increase MGC membership by offering an inferior product. IF this schedule stays the same, I would bet that you see season ticket sales and MGC membership decline this year. Like it or not, people want something for their money, and Texas Southern as the only OOC game ain't gonna cut it. I don't know why that game was ever scheduled in the 1st place.

Also, as someone who pays a pretty penny for my seats, I'll be very very disappointed if the current schedule is intact next fall.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

You don't fill Apogee Stadium and increase MGC membership by offering an inferior product. IF this schedule stays the same, I would bet that you see season ticket sales and MGC membership decline this year. Like it or not, people want something for their money, and Texas Southern as the only OOC game ain't gonna cut it. I don't know why that game was ever scheduled in the 1st place.

Also, as someone who pays a pretty penny for my seats, I'll be very very disappointed if the current schedule is intact next fall.

Agree , although I don't mind the Texas Southern game as long as we get another home game vs a AQ team. Someone like a Iowa State,Kansas , Arizona ( all of which need a OOC game)

Agree , although I don't mind the Texas Southern game as long as we get another home game vs a AQ team. Someone like a Iowa State,Kansas , Arizona ( all of which need a OOC game)

I could live with that. My main gripe is that there is not a 6th home game. But throwing Texas Southern on top of that as the only home game makes it much worse.

RV promises lots of things and does not follow thru so not surprising we would end up with the crappiest home schedule next year. To bad the President and BOR appear fine with this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1