New Orleans (12/27/11)

CMJ

1 - 7 from the 3 point line.

This team has GOT to find someone who can knock down the three if they want to be better than .500 in conference.

Time is running has run out.

We knock down the 3 and our win column looks dramatically different despite our inconsistent and sometimes discombobulated offensive attack... heck, we might have even pulled a W out of the LSU game had we dropped the 3.

is this crazy?

1 - C.J.

2 - A.W.

3 - T.M.

4 - R.F.

5 - K.H.

J.W.'s numbers are so inconsistent and it seems like he doesn't know what to do besides miss 3 pointers when someone passes him the ball.

Jordan Williams is our third best player...for him not to start would be a travesty. He's a freshman learning the college game but he won't learn from sitting on the bench. He ranges from second to fourth in almost every category. He wasn't billed as a three point shooter but that will come with practice and game experience. Even now, he's tied for the lead in 3s with 42 points.

Also, where would this team be if not for Jordan Williams? I view him as being responsible for getting Chris Jones and to a lesser extent Tony Mitchell. When he committed he didn't just leave it at that he went out and tried to recruit others to NT. I think we owe it to him to give him a chance as long as he's not a detriment to this team. If you'll look at the team statistics that's certainly not the case. Williams still makes freshman mistakes but he'll continue to improve.

Roger Franklin is used to coming off of the bench and providing a spark as the sixth man. He's good at it and is more beneficial in that role, given our level of talent, than he would be if he started. He still gets his minutes.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Jordan Williams is our third best player...for him not to start would be a travesty. He's a freshman learning the college game but he won't learn from sitting on the bench. He ranges from second to fourth in almost every category. He wasn't billed as a three point shooter but that will come with practice and game experience. Even now, he's tied for the lead in 3s with 42 points.

Also, where would this team be if not for Jordan Williams? I view him as being responsible for getting Chris Jones and to a lesser extent Tony Mitchell. When he committed he didn't just leave it at that he went out and tried to recruit others to NT. I think we owe it to him to give him a chance as long as he's not a detriment to this team. If you'll look at the team statistics that's certainly not the case. Williams still makes freshman mistakes but he'll continue to improve.

Roger Franklin is used to coming off of the bench and providing a spark as the sixth man. He's good at it and is more beneficial in that role, given our level of talent, than he would be if he started. He still gets his minutes.

+1 I don't think you make decisions based on what someone is owed. You just put the best team out there you can. But you're right that Jordan absolutely belongs in the starting lineup. His athleticism is pretty incredible and he has to play to work out the freshman kinks. He's already really good and will be a special player for us (starting this year).

Roger provides a great spark as 6th man. He's one of my favorite players, but I like him coming off the bench.

Gotta agree with Gray here. I think it would be worse for Jordan's development to have him come off the bench. He's used to being one of, if not the best players on the court at all times. Now, he has tougher competition to deal with.

What I would like to see more of from Jordan is creating his own shots. Driving to the basket, fadeaway shots, post moves... I haven't really seen much of that from him. He's been a FREAK in transition, and he's getting some good looks from 3. I've seen him use the baseline a few times to create shots, and I hope he continues to do that, but I'd love to see him put the ball on the floor, use his quick first step to get by a defender (I know he's got this, I've seen it a few times) and create a shot in the lane. It may be a confidence issue, it may be that he needs some coaching, but he certainly does not need the 6th man role.

And why we are not playing Niko more continues to boggle my mind... He is one of the very very very few players on our team that actually takes the ball to the hole and he is our best 3 point shooter on top of that. He is 6'9' hustles on both ends of the floor and is always moving off the ball to free himself up for a shot! I take him over Holmon, Hogans, Franlin and Edwards any day. But that is just me...

• Upvote 3

Some things I'd like to see.

1. Jordan Williams not shoot another three unless were up double digits.
  2. Jacob Holmen not shoot another three unless we're playing an exhibition game
  3. More of the Trey Norris at point and Chris at the 2.
  4. More of Niko in situations where the other team doesn't have a low post threat, like UNO.
  5. Alzee shoot more, from three especially.
  6. Brandon Walton get more towel waving time, and less playing time (sorry man)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4. More of Niko in situations where the other team doesn't have a low post threat, like UNO.

We just have to many decent players...

not everyone can get good playing minutes

Im impressed with Holmon, Jordan Williams, Walton, Jones and Niko this year

• Upvote 2

06-07 Lakers?

UCLA, circa 1975?

Seriously, what the hell have you been watching?

• Upvote 2

And why we are not playing Niko more continues to boggle my mind... He is one of the very very very few players on our team that actually takes the ball to the hole and he is our best 3 point shooter on top of that. He is 6'9' hustles on both ends of the floor and is always moving off the ball to free himself up for a shot! I take him over Holmon, Hogans, Franlin and Edwards any day. But that is just me...

Niko brings a good bit to the offensive end of the court. However, to this point on the defensive end of the court he has shown to be a "typical" soft European post. He gets shoved off the block way to easily. I had hoped he would be able to body up the opposing team's best post player and let Tony hang back to help on the shot. Niko just hasn't shown the ability to hold his own down low on defense yet. I certainly hope he develops that part of his game!

LOL only this Walton has some range... Im sure he will get more accurate as the year goes on but he is not afraid and I like that

That down-syndrome kid who won an ESPY a few years back wasn't afraid, either...he probably even had a better stroke...doesn't mean I want him playing D-1 ball.

• Upvote 3

We have too many guys with a hole in some part of their game.

Walton: Poor percentage, poor defense. Has earned less minutes.

Holmen: Missed 2 wide open 3s against New Orleans and sat for it. Poor percentage. Good at Free Throws. Played his way into less minutes.

J Williams: Looks like a freshmen still (turnovers) with flashes of Sweet Goodness.

Norris: Highest 3pt% on the team. Needs work on defense. More minutes.

Niko: Has earned more minutes. Split with J. Williams.

Jones: Sweet Goodness with flashes of looking like a freshmen (turnovers).

A Williams: 2nd Highest 3pt% on the team. Best Free Throw shooter. More minutes.

+1 since you are obviously watching the same team as me. the only point i would contend is 5 since nobody on this team should be shooting 3's.

Gotta agree with Gray here. I think it would be worse for Jordan's development to have him come off the bench. He's used to being one of, if not the best players on the court at all times. Now, he has tougher competition to deal with.

What I would like to see more of from Jordan is creating his own shots. Driving to the basket, fadeaway shots, post moves... I haven't really seen much of that from him. He's been a FREAK in transition, and he's getting some good looks from 3. I've seen him use the baseline a few times to create shots, and I hope he continues to do that, but I'd love to see him put the ball on the floor, use his quick first step to get by a defender (I know he's got this, I've seen it a few times) and create a shot in the lane. It may be a confidence issue, it may be that he needs some coaching, but he certainly does not need the 6th man role.

The enigma that is Jordan at this early stage of his career is he's not a good shooter, and he's not a good enough ball handler to get by perimeter defenders on his own. He's had his pocket picked ?uite a bit trying to take someone on one on one this year. However, he is starting to make adjustments to this and making better decisions. And when he's on the floor we become a much better running and rebounding team. We need him to be a slasher/rebounder at this point a not a jump shooter. If he does that, and Alzee and CJ can step up their outside shooting a bit we are dangerous. When those don't happen, and that's been a lot pretty much every game for a stretch, we become stagnant on offense, teams go into a zone on us, and we go long stretches without scoring points.And I don't mean to imply that the zone keeps us from scoring, just we don't score and then teams also try the zone because they figure we can't score from the outside.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops
  • Upvote 1