Dec. 7th - A Day That Will Live in Infamy

I know that at least 3 of the local TV stations in DFW had the story in the first block of their newscasts.

Haven't heard from Skipper lately, but I have a hunch that in a day or two, we'll see there was even a story in the NT Daily.

I wish I felt as good looking in the mirror as Quoner does, though. GOOD THINGS ARE NOT HAPPENING to my physique the further I get past 30.

So, checked the mirror and I look great. Really been bringing it all together at the gym lately and doing a lot of running, so I feel good about me.

Photos or it's just not happening!

There is one thing I would never question about you and that is that you definitely always "feel good about me". :thumbsu::flowers:

Photos or it's just not happening!

There is one thing I would never question about you and that is that you definitely always "feel good about me". :thumbsu::flowers:

Well I know this board is sometimes a haven for the depressed and downtrodden, so I just try to model a good self image.

So are we joking and conceding this whole debate now? I at least respect you for waiting until December 8 to lose the battle. It would have been an awful bit of showmanship to do it yesterday.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well I know this board is sometimes a haven for the depressed and downtrodden, so I just try to model a good self image.

So are we joking and conceding this whole debate now? I at least respect you for waiting until December 8 to lose the battle. It would have been an awful bit of showmanship to do it yesterday.

What? Sometimes you are such a kidder....is that what it is to you a debate? Kidding, right? Debating you would be like shooting at an unarmed man. But, I respect those who served, fought and died to give you the right to think you are armed for a debate. You miss so much by trying to prove to folks how creatively cute you can be. Just tired of the whole point of trying to communicate what was obviously a missed point by some....

What? Sometimes you are such a kidder....is that what it is to you a debate? Kidding, right? Debating you would be like shooting at an unarmed man. But, I respect those who served, fought and died to give you the right to think you are armed for a debate. You miss so much by trying to prove to folks how creatively cute you can be. Just tired of the whole point of trying to communicate what was obviously a missed point by some....

He also likes Jesus, Betsy Ross, John Wayne, The Pilgrims, apple pie, Mt. Rushmore, consumerism, The Enola Gay, fresh-baked biscuits from the oven and Lee Greenwood.

Since, in turn, you must clearly hate all of those things, I really can't see how you could win the debate, Quoner.

• Upvote 1

He also likes Jesus, Betsy Ross, John Wayne, The Pilgrims, apple pie, Mt. Rushmore, consumerism, The Enola Gay, fresh-baked biscuits from the oven and Lee Greenwood.

Since, in turn, you must clearly hate all of those things, I really can't see how you could win the debate, Quoner.

Why do you seem to think Quoner needs your help? He's fully capable of speaking for himself.

If we did have a duel and I was unarmed, I am sure I could stand perfectly still William Tell-style and watch the bullets spray around me for hours. I can't think of a safer place to be.

• Upvote 1

Why do you seem to think Quoner needs your help? He's fully capable of speaking for himself.

It's not that anyone needs help, it's just that Kramming is a talking sport, kind of like movie-watching and baseball, which...ZOMG Ted Williams was a soldier!

• Upvote 1

I know...it's just that when he speaks it's usually in that weird hip-hop "language" he and the "usual suspects" use and think they're so cool for it...I mean, half of what Quoner says makes absolutely no sense to me and I'm in my late 20s and listen to Black Star and Bell Biv DeVoe so I should be nearly fluent in Street. I can only imagine how difficult it is for someone of a previous generation. Must sound like total gibberish, really.

• Upvote 4

I know...it's just that when he speaks it's usually in that weird hip-hop "language" he and the "usual suspects" use and think they're so cool for it...I mean, half of what Quoner says makes absolutely no sense to me and I'm in my late 20s and listen to Black Star and Bell Biv DeVoe so I should be nearly fluent in Street. I can only imagine how difficult it is for someone of a previous generation. Must sound like total gibberish, really.

This thread is Poi-sooonnnn.

• Upvote 3

Anyone ever been to the National Museum of the Pacific War?

Yes...more than once. If you haven't been...you should consider going. Might help some understand the significance of remembering those who sacrificed so much, and why Pearl harbor Day should always and forever remain a VERY BIG DEAL...and I don't mean mention on some inside page of a newspaper.

Really a nice exhibit and great to have it here in Texas...Nimitz was, of course, a native son.

• Upvote 1

Thoughts on Roosevelt and the American intelligence community knowing of the impending attack prior to December 7?

Well, topic of much speculation. Have read numerous articles on both sides of the issue and none have been all convincing as far as I am concerned.

What I have been able to determine is that it appears the US intelligence agencies, who had already broken the Japanese code, knew something was up on Dec. 7th, 1941, and they had an approximate time for the event. The odd thing is that they seemed to have failed to realize the difference in time zones between Washington DC and the rest of the country including Hawaii. By the time the warning got to units in Hawaii the attack had already commenced and had taken the U.S. units stationed in Hawaii by complete surprise. Pretty epic fail by the US intelligence agencies I would say...much like the epic fail surrounding the events of 9/11.

Now, did FDR or others know anything sooner than that, I don't know and don't think anyone will ever know for sure. Like I said, I have done a good bit of study...and still study...the events of WWII, but have yet to make up my own mind regarding this issue.

Do you have any thoughts on the matter or are you just looking for another opportunity to derail a legitimate discussion topic?

Do you have any thoughts on the matter or are you just looking for another opportunity to derail a legitimate discussion topic?

Wait, quoting a thing you said and posting evidence to refute it or make you reconsider it is derailing now? You and the rest of the greatest generation of GMG really need to get together and lock down a definition. I can barely hear what's what over my iPod speaker buds and my Rock 'em, Sock 'em robots, so I'm going to need consistency.

If you ever want to go back to the media debate, I'd love to know what you wanted out of them yesterday since you won't even acknowledge what was actually done. I've already admitted a few times the DMN coverage was pitiful, but hopefully they'll have more with SkyBall this weekend in Fort Worth. It's shame the AAC/Mavs/AA couldn't do Seats for Soldiers this December because of the lockout. It's one of my favorite local efforts all year and I miss working on it.

• Upvote 1

Wait, quoting a thing you said and posting evidence to refute it or make you reconsider it is derailing now? You and the rest of the greatest generation of GMG really need to get together and lock down a definition. I can barely hear what's what over my iPod speaker buds and my Rock 'em, Sock 'em robots, so I'm going to need consistency.

If you ever want to go back to the media debate, I'd love to know what you wanted out of them yesterday since you won't even acknowledge what was actually done. I've already admitted a few times the DMN coverage was pitiful, but hopefully they'll have more with SkyBall this weekend in Fort Worth. It's shame the AAC/Mavs/AA couldn't do Seats for Soldiers this December because of the lockout. It's one of my favorite local efforts all year and I miss working on it.

Only in your head was there ever a media debate...move along. You have much better threads to derail than this one...you have had your fun, go screw up another thread.

Only in your head was there ever a media debate...move along. You have much better threads to derail than this one...you have had your fun, go screw up another thread.

But...

Folks, today, Dec. 7th is Pearl Harbor day. You won't see that much about it on the news or in the papers any longer (other than a short mention here and there),

I think it's pretty awesome if it's just now occurring to you this may have been the only part of your post questioned.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1