MWC Moving Forward with Merger

El Paso Eagle

as we speak, both CUSA and MWC appear to losing 3 schools each to the Big East. that would drop CUSA to 9 members, and MWC to 7. until both conferences get a final head count, i don't see how they can merge or schedule games. besides, looks like the AQ conferences will soon be a thing of the past as BCS may just deal with championship game when contract expires in 2013 and let conferences aline with bowls like the did before there ever was a BCS.

So the MWC presence in Texas is coming from CUSA? I guess DFW isn't as big a hotbed as I thought it was. I wonder what the new football league will be called? Two 8 team divisions seems likely....

Market presence is great and all and is somewhat important but unfortunately we haven't helped ourselves the last 7 years with our results in football. Tho that can quickly change if we continue to improve and be on the upward trend. Then MWC/CUSA can have valid reasons vouching for us if they decide to add and the TV market will just be the icing on the cake then.

So the MWC presence in Texas is coming from CUSA? I guess DFW isn't as big a hotbed as I thought it was. I wonder what the new football league will be called? Two 8 team divisions seems likely....

the ECU chancellor seems to be only one talking, and he says two 9 team divisions. he also says they have applied and are trying to join Big East for football only. go figure.

The ECU chancellor can't even know his own school's fate, let alone the rest of the league. Everything depends on what the Big East does.

One thing that baffles me is why would the two conferences want to merge. First it was going to be for football only; now I hear it's for all sports. Who gives up being a commissioner...Thompson or Banowski? CUSA already has a championship game so what are they gaining?

It appears for the moment that Air Force has reconsidered; Navy is waffling without Air Force; Boise State won't go without a western partner; West Virginia and possibly Louisville will be gone in two years; and Villanova (and the basketball schools) won't allow Temple. San Diego State in the Big East? The Big East is a train wreck and only Notre Dame could truly save it. Boise State could end this madness if they would just say no.

Edited by GrayEagle

AFC now saying they are delaying their decision until January[i assume 2012], and are upset that BYU isn't joining Big East. this whole deal could fall apart, but even if it does get done, no way the MWC/CUSA merger takes place until both conferences have an accurate head count as to who is leaving and who is staying, and what,if any additions need to be made.

Anyone else notice despite all the realignment talk the Big East hasn't expanded? So of course the MWC and CUSA say they are moving forward with the merger, but we all know that hinges on the BE. No conference is ever going to come out and say they are waiting on another conference.

Big East is waiting on West Virgina lawsuit, BYU, BSU, AFC, and Navy.