It's not just us

emmitt01

Ryan vs. Guyer will draw a load more than this game. There are two big time HS programs in Denton, and the Broncs ain't one of 'em right now. They just don't draw like the other two, and they don't have the support.

Correct. Last years Ryan/Guyer game was pretty full. I do think that winning will help. I also think if the University would make a consistent, year after year push to get businesses involved and such like they did when we went D1, that is would add more folks. It's going to take a lot of work, and probably 5-8 years of winning before it would happen.

Ryan vs. Guyer will draw a load more than this game. There are two big time HS programs in Denton, and the Broncs ain't one of 'em right now. They just don't draw like the other two, and they don't have the support.

Fact, Guyer is 5A and Ryan is in 4A. They haven't played eachother since December of 2009. Well have to wait until Feb. to see if both schools make it to the same 5A district.

Edited by C Vo

As much as it pains me to say it, being a native Dentonite, I don't think Denton will always be a non-supportive city. I'm sitting here at the Denton Ryan/Denton game and they're not coming out in droves for this game either. I'm talking to a nice lady who works here at C.H. Collins and she was just relating to me that this game doesn't often draw near what this stadium holds....in fact I bought a reserved seat on row 14 and she told me "just sit anywhere, nobody will be fighting over seats."

As an aside she told me that Denton High doesn't like playing at C.H. Collins. Apparently they prefer to play at their on campus field. So this stadium that Denton was so hell-bent on building all for themselves...and not building cooperatively with North Texas...sits empty when DHS plays at home.

Have things really changed since Ryan was playing in the state championship game 10 years ago? It's the same Forum guys on here complaining that Ryan (or now Denton) didn't have a big fan following when they were winning state championships.

Denton likes playing at Bronco Field because just a few hundred fans fills the place. Also, Denton is winless in district and Broncos fans aren't going to come out for a beating against Ryan. Which by the 4th quarter it was. I give Denton credit they played hard for most of the game, but turnovers got 'em.

It will be interesting to see what type of crowd shows up on Nov. 4th for the Guyer/SLC game. I know SLC travels well.

Fact, Guyer is 5A and Ryan is in 4A. They haven't played eachother since December of 2009. Well have to wait until Feb. to see if both schools make it to the same 5A district.

Correction: it appears through preliminary attendance numbers that Guyer will move back down to 4A. Creating the Ryan / Guyer rivalry once again

On a side note a lot of people attend high school football games without a school connection because they enjoy football. I attend a Ryan or Guyer game at least 5-6 times a year. I live in Krum and graduated from Gainesville. I enjoy football and both teams provide good football to watch. Once Krum starts playing Varsity ball I will attend some of those games as well.

Correction: it appears through preliminary attendance numbers that Guyer will move back down to 4A. Creating the Ryan / Guyer rivalry once again

On a side note a lot of people attend high school football games without a school connection because they enjoy football. I attend a Ryan or Guyer game at least 5-6 times a year. I live in Krum and graduated from Gainesville. I enjoy football and both teams provide good football to watch. Once Krum starts playing Varsity ball I will attend some of those games as well.

Ryan turned in 2121 students which will put them in 5A and Guyer turned in 2064 students, which is one less than the 5A cutoff from 2 years ago. So Guyer could go back down to 4A.

As much as it pains me to say it, being a native Dentonite, I don't think Denton will always be a non-supportive city. I'm sitting here at the Denton Ryan/Denton game and they're not coming out in droves for this game either. I'm talking to a nice lady who works here at C.H. Collins and she was just relating to me that this game doesn't often draw near what this stadium holds....in fact I bought a reserved seat on row 14 and she told me "just sit anywhere, nobody will be fighting over seats."

As an aside she told me that Denton High doesn't like playing at C.H. Collins. Apparently they prefer to play at their on campus field. So this stadium that Denton was so hell-bent on building all for themselves...and not building cooperatively with North Texas...sits empty when DHS plays at home.

I just think Denton's eclectic residents don't really care much about sports, unless they have a kid playing or it's someone coming to town that makes them want to show up. SBC schools aren't in that group, and with a faltering economy, dollars just get watched more closely. If you are a typical Denton resident, you grew up being told that UNT should get rid of football, to not support athletics, and to follow schools that matter (I.e., Texas, Tech, OU, A&M). The town truly doesn't deserve what it has--I guarantee you that if UNT were in Wichita Falls or Abilene or Longview, it wouldn't have the issues it has in regards to it's athletics. It's why most of us still question whether we will truly ever get an invite to another conference. The reputation we have really does precede us--the city of Denton is a major cause of this, IMO.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

First it was the Texas Rangers, now the blame game has turned to high school football in Denton?

Last time I checked, Denton wasn't an island unto itself. UNT has 6.6 million people to draw from just in the North Texas region not to mention other alumni, family and fans from other areas. If you're worried about poor attendance being a "Denton" problem maybe building such a big stadium that could hold a quarter of the city's population wasn't such a good idea.

Those 30k seats were built to draw from a 6.6 million region not a single 120k town.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I just think Denton's eclectic residents don't really care much about sports, unless they have a kid playing or it's someone coming to town that makes them want to show up. SBC schools aren't in that group, and with a faltering economy, dollars just get watched more closely. If you are a typical Denton resident, you grew up being told that UNT should get rid of football, to not support athletics, and to follow schools that matter (I.e., Texas, Tech, OU, A&M). The town truly doesn't deserve what it has--I guarantee you that if UNT were in Wichita Falls or Abilene or Longview, it wouldn't have the issues it has in regards to it's athletics. It's why most of us still question whether we will truly ever get an invite to another conference. The reputation we have really does precede us--the city of Denton is a major cause of this, IMO.

I think this is a winning post! UNT football has always been an afterthought in state consumed by Southwest Conf/Big 12 for decades. UNT was never in that circle and we still pay the price.

A couple of thoughts:

1) I don't think Collins ever sits empty when DHS plays at it's own stadium. It is hard to schedule 3 teams to play in one home stadium, so DHS not playing there relieves some scheduling issues, but not all.

2) I don't think you can compare UNT draw to a DHS/Ryan game. High school is mostly students and parents; public schools don't really market outside the cafeteria.

3) I don't think it's a Denton thing; its a metroplex dominated by Big XII thing. For example, take a look at Sports Authority in Denton, they barely sell UNT compared to OU and Texas... do you blame Denton on that?

Let Coach Mac do his thing. This train is moving.

• Upvote 1