Replay On The Big Board In Apogee

At one point in recent memory, most NFL and FBS stadiums would show replays of all the most recent plays on the field, including the controversial plays that the refs got wrong. Same thing in MLB.

It seems, though, that there's been a trend in both the professional and collegiate ranks to not show the most recent plays on jumbotrons/video walls/whatnot, particularly when it comes to controversial plays. You can see the the cultural impact that showing those plays has on folks when you see 3/4 of the crowd instinctively turn their heads in unison to look at the replay on a controversial play, except these days we don't seem to be getting those replays like we used to. I've seen commentary from university officials (not ours) and league officials (not ours) that seems to indicate that this is being done for reasons like "not showing up the officials". When I hear statements like this, I automatically think "so you don't want to give the fans in the stands the full experience they deserve because you're more interested in covering up someone's mistakes?"

I would really like to see UNT lead the way in bringing replays back to their rightful place in the stadium. It's ridiculous to not show all the recent plays; showing only some and not others smacks of covering up the controversial ones. Show all of them. It's broken that I can sit at home paying nothing and see replays, controversial and routine, yet if I pay money to go to the game I am denied that same opportunity. The fans paying to come to the game should get every bit as much of the experience as the fan sitting at home.

In my best Russell Crow voice...Replay now. Replay tomorrow. Replay forever!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I recall in Fouts during plays under review that the video screen had a statement that it is against NCAA rules to show a replay of a play under review.

I know different conferences have different rules on showing replays, but I wasn't aware that there was a specific NCAA rule against showing replays in stadium. Hmmmm. Now I'm going to see if I can dig up that rule or rules.

Yea. I think it's against NCAA rules to show a replay of a play that is being reviewed. I'm fairly certain they can replay it until the official call from the booth comes down.

I think it is to prevent losing control of the crowd.

I read a couple of articles on this that cite the Detroit Pistons' crowd/Ron Artest meltdown in the NBA as the reason why showing controversial replays in the stadium isn't done.

If that's true, that's incredibly weak.

Now I'm off to try to find that rule!

As I understand it the replay officials have more than one camera so that they can see the play from different angles and are in better position to make the right call. What may appear to happen on the stadium camera may look different when viewed from an opposite side.

We pay for the extra officials and cameras so we should allow technology and people to do their jobs. The odds are that we will get better results and less controversy without the replays being shown.